About new Firestorm version

StilettoSara

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3981 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well, I will for sure learn a lot next few week about it.

First 2 things I had to fix, was the thing that gloss/shine was all white and to prevent that I unchecked the 2 boxes:

LOCAL LIGHTS and BASIC SHADERS...and it looked way better again. (Found under Preferences---->Graphics)

One thing that is very sad though, is that they moved the thing of setting our avatars height from the tab: Quick Preference. Now we have to rightclick our avatars....choose Apperances and choose the tab: BODY......

It is set standard at 50 on the slider....and you can drag it or type in the box ...higher number = You go higher up n lower vice versa....

But these are FAR bigger steps and not at all as smooth as Before when we via the Quick preferences could set like 0.00 and even as small Changes like 0.05 and -0.05 etc. Now one step up 50->51 or from 50 down to 49......Lifts or lower your avatar so much much more in one step than before, when u could be very precicely about that.

Hugggs: Sara

StilettoSara wrote:

First 2 things I had to fix, was the thing that gloss/shine was all white and to prevent that I unchecked the 2 boxes:

LOCAL LIGHTS and BASIC SHADERS...and it looked way better again. (Found under Preferences---->Graphics)

One thing that is very sad though, is that they moved the thing of setting our avatars height from the tab: Quick Preference. Now we have to rightclick our avatars....choose Apperances and choose the tab: BODY......

It is set standard at 50 on the slider....and you can drag it or type in the box ...higher number = You go higher up n lower vice versa....

But these are FAR bigger steps and not at all as smooth as Before when we via the Quick preferences could set like 0.00 and even as small Changes like 0.05 and -0.05 etc. Now one step up 50->51 or from 50 down to 49......Lifts or lower your avatar so much much more in one step than before, when u could be very precicely about that.

The change in handling height offset was forced by LL & SSB. 

It was not by choice.

You can blame the change for the avatar height offset disappearing on LL.  It is incompatible with the new server code that will have server side baking.  While disappointing I can live with the replacement. 

So far I like this new version.  My graphics are rendering better and they have added a lot of features I find very useful.  I've already added a bunch of new things to my quickset preferences.

Kudos to the Firestorm Team.

Perrie Juran wrote:

StilettoSara wrote:

It was not by choice.

I think she is actually talking about teh shape sliders...

Well I saw that the sea was not showing at all with the settings I made..*lol*...But if I didn't change it my oil/shine/ on breasts are like100 % dead white in tone as shadows moving a lil over em. Other parts of my body like nose and so on turned 100 % White with those settings. Prob. it's other things we need to change then. It says all settings are back to basics.

Well I like it so far as well, but hope that such things like shine/gloss/oil n so on stop to look white.

Thankful for any help on that one.....What settings are bad if looks show up like that? Before I took the update all was perfect.

Best Regards: Sara

StilettoSara wrote:

Hmm.. that seems very strange thing to do.  When you tick off the Basic Shaders you are also disabling Atmospheric shaders and then you cannot put on Advanced Lighting Model which is required to be on to see the effects of materials (what feature will be soon implemented by Linden Lab).

For me keeping Local Lights and Basic Shaders ON gives a much better view than them off.

In fact I see no difference to the previous Firestorm version in regard to these settings.  On my computer it looked good with those settings on in the previous viewer, and it looks good in the new version too with those settings on.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

StilettoSara wrote:

It was not by choice.

I think she is actually talking about teh shape sliders...

The slider in quick preferences was for Avatar Offset, not for actual Avatar height.

http://letteponnier.blogspot.com/2013/04/fasqapril23.html

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_height_offset

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

You can blame the change for the avatar height offset disappearing on LL.  It is incompatible with the new server code that will have server side baking.  While disappointing I can live with the replacement. 

Kudos to the Firestorm Team.

At first I missed the height offset too, but I only used it because certain footwear caused my feet to sink into the ground.  I don't see this happening with the latest release.

I'll second the Kudos to the Firestorm team.

The support staff has more patience than you can imagine, after seeing some of the group chat following the release.  Some people get really bent out of shape when things change and don't take the time to find out why changes were made.

We should all say thank you for all the effort put forth to bring people an alternative to the "official viewer". 

Well first of all I'm sorry for mixing up the offset and height ....I was just so into it, that I used the wrong word, but yes, it was about the offset I was typing.....Okay it's good you can even ""save as""  And if that means that we do one setting for each saved fit and then never again for that saved shape with "those" heels it's a smart thing that way. But the way to do this now is 1. Much more steps than Before. 2. Way less precise and done in way bigger steps and not at all like the fine adjustment posibillities we had before......So that is not good at all I think...

About the settings via PREFERENCES----->GRAPHICS .....I marked those 2 Squares again.....BUT.. (okay sea came back n Environment looked way better again ;) ....The fact still remains that my breasts shine is so strong that the breasts at some angles when i move..... all of a sudden is SO SO WHITE....and not showing if it now is the SHADOW/OIL/SHINE......No...now that thing looks crazy bad.....Very thankful for ideas of what to set and by what numbers?

Hugggs / Sara

FIXED ....YAYAYAYAYAY

Thank gawd for that I am stubborn ;)

This is what I did:

Preferences----->Graphics------>

Point Lightning (restart required)----->   I sat to Sun/Moon Only.........Was sat to: FULL (Default)

-------> Restarted and VOILA

HUGGGS ;) Sara

StilettoSara wrote:

FIXED ....YAYAYAYAYAY

Thank gawd for that I am stubborn
;)

This is what I did:

Preferences----->Graphics------>

Point Lightning (restart required)----->   I sat to Sun/Moon Only.........Was sat to: FULL (Default)

-------> Restarted and VOILA

HUGGGS
;)
Sara

but, now you wont see streetlamps or firefly lights, or any of the ambiance lighting that are in many sims..

StilettoSara wrote:

About the settings via PREFERENCES----->GRAPHICS .....I marked those 2 Squares again.....BUT.. (okay sea came back n Environment looked way better again
;)
The fact still remains that my breasts shine is so strong
that the breasts at some angles when i move..... all of a sudden is SO SO WHITE....and not showing if it now is the SHADOW/OIL/SHINE......No...now that thing looks crazy bad.....Very thankful for ideas of what to set and by what numbers?

Hugggs / Sara

Why are your boobs shiney? and why are they glowing? can we get a pic or two..

(you all knew i was gonna ask.)

Given that point lighting was causing the problem, it's clear that some nearby light source was to blame. 

1. Were you under or near some fixed ambient source, like a streetlamp or club spotlight? Was the effect less when you moved? 

2. Was someone nearby with a badly set up facelight?

3. Are you wearing face and/or body lights? Are they set ridiculously high in value or radius? If you don't use point lighting, you really should remove them, because you could be playing havoc with other people's view of their avatar and surroundings. Turning off point lighting might solve it for you, but anyone wanting to see light sources will have to deal with it in their own way (derendering you, derending the lights, moving away from you).

Many people wear lights and aren't even aware that they do, let alone the problems they cause. Some hair, and even clothes designers, add them to attachments with no regard for the problems they can cause. I recently saw someone with 10 light sources attached to their av... more than SL's graphic engine is capable of rendering. 

Go somewhere dark & empty and switch point-lighting on... does the surrounding area suddenly glow as if floodlit?Check attachments worn... anything labelled facelight or bodylight should be removed or at least checked to see how powerful it is. Hit CTRL-ALT-t to highlight transparent objects, and look for little spheres or bars hanging in front of your face (hit CTRL-ALT-t again to un-highlight). Check the menu options of hair for lighting controls; a responsible builder will have scripted a way to turn them off.

Some people have facelights that look simply garish with advanced graphics enabled, even though they are not so bad without it.  Wearing a bad one wash out the avatar and everyone else around it.  Good builds look *much* nicer with full advanced graphics, but I constantly have to turn off local lights either because of those ugly facelights or because of poor lighting design in the build.  There are facelights available that do a fine job but you have to look around for them.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3981 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.