AO blues

Sahrah Bridger

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been in SL for ages, but only recently I've been trying to actually improve my avatars appearance. As I understand it at this point the most prominently noobish peice of my attire is my AO, a hunk of junk freebie I grabbed when I was first starting.

So I tried buying a new, relatively expensive one, but it still felt tacky and dull. Then I realized, the problem is animations, or rather the lack there of. They were static, almost poses. Good avatars shift and and step in place, not standing around unmoving with their arms crossed.

So my question for you guys: How can I tell the diffrence from poses and animations when buying an AO? Any reccomendations?
Also, if I can, how would I go about making my own?

Any help would be appreciated

Got to ORACUL:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/19619

And best is to look up their store inworld so you can try out and see the animations working. I am exclusively using theirs after I discovered their store since they are cheap, dynamic and very well made. And it is easy to get the free animation HUD and then stock it up with as many different animations form this store as you feel ^_^

Or use the build in AO in a viewer like firestorm if you use it (I do so I know that it has no problem with many animations too)

Demos. All the good ao shops have stands you can stand on and preview the demos. 

Popular places are Purple Poses, Akeyo, Vista, Abranamations, Oracul, to name a few.

Any of these:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?search%5Bcategory_id%5D=&search%5Bmaturity_level%5D=GMA&search%5Bkeywords%5D=ao

Poses are static no movement animations have movement the more expensive AO's may be made of motion capture animations if you are on a budget Tuty's does some tastefully animated AO's if you don't mind lots of movement Oracul is also worth a try. if money is no object Vista do a range of Mo-Cap AO's and Akeyo does an AO with an easy to use hud if you buy any animations there while wearing the hud they are automatically installed or you can dump in some animations the hud will automatically configure them.
if you want to compile your own AO you will need a ZHAO hud which i'm sure you can get free on the marketplace and a bunch of animations i've never compiled my own from scratch but found just editing one was a little tricky time consuming

if you do want to buy an AO demo the animations in store first theres nothing worse that buying an AO that looks good in the picture that you end up hating when you use it

I made my own AO.  After looking at the prebuilt ones it, I only liked half the content and the other half did not feel like "me" It is pretty simple; drop poses into the AO and then edit a notecard

In making my AO, selected both static poses and animations...I wanted to move some even while standing in one spot but not constantly moving, I wanted a normal walk, simple landings and falls not something dramatic and I didn't want to fly like superman.  The tricky part was getting the right poses in the right order, so as poses looped the movements transitioned well. It took a bit of time but for me it was worth it.  I built my AO back in 06 and have just freshened it with upgraded poses a couple of times since then; so a bit of effort every couple of years to freshen as creative improves..but much of it has remained the same like swimming, landings and flight; think have only upgraded my walk once and changed out a some of the standing poses.  Good luck!

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.