Prize Camping for No Copy Items?

Joy Iddinja

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am currently operating a breedables business and want to bring in more traffic.  However, I don't want just any old campers, or worse, bots.  I want campers who have some interest in the breedables I enjoy.  In short I want campers who are either potential customers as well, or who know potential customers.  To this end, I want to be able to give some of my excess breedables away in a camping chair.  However, these objects are NO COPY / NO MOD, and no chair I've seen so far knows how to handle prizes that are no copy.  Does anyone know if a system, preferably a script that I can add to my own chair, that  will work?

PS - I'm looking for a CAMPING system, not a lucky chair or game with prizes.  

Not all camping is illegal.  Prize camping is considered a form of advertising and as I explained before, a means of getting interested breedable enthusiasts who might not have much linden but know others who do into my shop.  I'm not giving out money, but an object that has little interest to anyone not into them already.   Bots I definitely don't want and would only buy a camping system that worked against them.

Yes, it will help with traffic, but that is just a side benefit.  

Joy Iddinja wrote:

Not all camping is illegal.  Prize camping is considered a form of advertising and as I explained before, a means of getting interested breedable enthusiasts who might not have much linden but know others who do into my shop.  I'm not giving out money, but an object that has little interest to anyone not into them already.   Bots I definitely don't want and would only buy a camping system that worked against them.

Yes, it will help with traffic, but that is just a side benefit.  

Not sure where you go the idea that prize camping is ok.  There have been reports in this forum of Lindens returning prize camping boards.  While they haven't returned them all I'm sure, that doesn't make it legal.  The TOS does not say that you have to pay campers in cash to be illegal.  It says:

"6.3 Additional rules of conduct apply to users of Second Life:

In addition to the rules set forth in Sections 6.1 and 6.2 above, you agree that you will not:

(i) Use robots or other automated means to increase traffic to any Virtual Land;"

You of course can do as you wish and take the risk if you want to. 

As far as your question about a script, I have never seen one and suspect you would need to hire a scripter to write one for you.

Joy Iddinja wrote:

Hi.  I got an IM from a scripter willing to discuss creating some sort of scripted chair for me and I accidentally destroyed it when I was trying to get rid of another IM.  

I didn't even get the name.  Can somoene help me?

If you save IM's you can view them in the Viewer apps folder.

These are located in:

Windows XP C:\Documents and Settings\[uSERNAME]\Application Data\Your Viewer
Windows Vista, 7, or 8

C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Your Viewer

In folder view select sort/by date and that will make it easy for you to find the chat.

If you don't save them hopefully the scripter will see your message here.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

The TOS does not say that you have to pay campers in cash to be illegal.  It says:

"
6.3 Additional rules of conduct apply to users of Second Life:

In addition to the rules set forth in Sections 6.1 and 6.2 above, you agree that you will not:

(i) Use robots or
other automated means to
increase traffic
to any Virtual Land;"

I hadn't thought about a gift-giver as an "automated means to increase traffic". That's a pretty loose interpretation. With a loose interpretation, you cold lump in: "Mob-vend", "Lucky chairs", random prize givers like at Bare Rose... etc.

I think prize chairs are OK.

And this idea seems like a good one for a product. Maybe a Linden could chime in and tell us?

April Looming wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

The TOS does not say that you have to pay campers in cash to be illegal.  It says:

"

(i) Use robots or
other automated means to
increase traffic
to any Virtual Land;"

I hadn't thought about a gift-giver as an "automated means to increase traffic". That's a pretty loose interpretation. With a loose interpretation, you cold lump in: "Mob-vend", "Lucky chairs", random prize givers like at Bare Rose... etc.

And this idea seems like a good one for a product. Maybe a Linden could chime in and tell us?

Lindens rarely read let alone answer questions in the forums. 

Automated means, describes a scripted item that runs on it's own.  Camping requires that the camper stay in one place or within a certain area for a fixed time period in order to get something of value.  A script monitors the person and dispenses the payment in cash or merchandise without the owner having to be there. 

The purpose of offering camping is generally to increase traffic.  Even the OP admitted that is what she is trying to do, even if she is targeting a niche market. LL considers this to be gaming traffic and an unfair practice.  It is unfair to those people selling breedables whose land shows valid traffic numbers achieved without camping because it makes her shop appear more popular to actual shoppers than it is.  If her sole reason for doing it was to get product in the hands of customers for free hoping they will become interested in breeding and return to purchase items from her, she could acheive that by just giving one free to each person that comes to her shop.

The other things you cite don't require this.  Someone can tp in smack a board, make a purchase, sit in a chair or just happen to be there when a random prize is given to them then tp out.  They are not required to stay there for a fixed time period to benefit. 

Before the use of camping and bots became illegal, I attended several meetings with LL about this subject.  The Lindens that were at the meeting did not distinguish between cash or prizes.  They considered requiring a person to be in a location for a specified period of time to get anything of value as gaming traffic if the parcel was in search.   I understand LL does monitor for gaming traffic.  Whether they do it continuously or sporadically is not known.  However someone can always AR it and the competition very well may.

There are still a few places that have camping, but all the ones I have seen are taking place on a parcel carved out for this purpose that has not been placed in search. 

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

April Looming wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

"

(i) Use robots or
other automated means to
increase traffic
to any Virtual Land;"

Lindens rarely read let alone answer questions in the forums. 

Automated means, describes a scripted item that runs on it's own.  Camping requires that the camper stay in one place or within a certain area for a fixed time period in order to get something of value.  A script monitors the person and dispenses the payment in cash or merchandise without the owner having to be there. 

The purpose of offering camping is generally to increase traffic.  Even the OP admitted that is what she is trying to do, even if she is targeting a niche market. LL considers this to be gaming traffic and an unfair practice.  It is unfair to those people selling breedables whose land shows valid traffic numbers achieved without camping because it makes her shop appear more popular to actual shoppers than it is.  If her sole reason for doing it was to get product in the hands of customers for free hoping they will become interested in breeding and return to purchase items from her, she could acheive that by just giving one free to each person that comes to her shop.

The other things you cite don't require this.  Someone can tp in smack a board, make a purchase, sit in a chair or just happen to be there when a random prize is given to them then tp out.  They are not required to stay there for a fixed time period to benefit. 

Before the use of camping and bots became illegal, I attended several meetings with LL about this subject.  The Lindens that were at the meeting did not distinguish between cash or prizes.  They considered requiring a person to be in a location for a specified period of time to get anything of value as gaming traffic if the parcel was in search.   I understand LL does monitor for gaming traffic.  Whether they do it continuously or sporadically is not known.  However someone can always AR it and the competition very well may.

There are still a few places that have camping, but all the ones I have seen are taking place on a parcel carved out for this purpose that has not been placed in search. 

It does get a little rough here to understand because the Bot Policy itself does not address camping.  Everything stated is strictly limited to bots.

But Jack Linden's statement in the Blog Post, "Further Clarification," is pretty clear:

"So the policy statement is that where we see a Resident unfairly increasing their Search ranking, regardless of how that is achieved, it will be considered as 'gaming'."

Camping is clearly included there.

I didn't dig through all the pages but Jack makes some more comments on page two.  If there are more by him I don't know.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.