Looking for Research Participants

DrMichaelMorrison

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am an economics professor, my colleague and I are researching entrepreneurship in Second Life. We are looking for Second Life users and entrepreneurs within Second Life to participate in a study of Second Life.

In this study, you will need to complete a short survey related to Second Life. The survey should take about 15 minutes to complete.

If you are interested in participating please follow the link below.

http://loboresearchers.limequery.com/index.php/615257/lang-en

If you have any questions about our research or survey please feel free to PM me.

DrMichaelMorrison wrote:

I am an economics professor, my colleague and I are researching entrepreneurship in Second Life. We are looking for Second Life users and entrepreneurs within Second Life to participate in a study of Second Life.

In this study, you will need to complete a short survey related to Second Life. The survey should take about 15 minutes to complete.

If you are interested in participating please follow the link below.

If you have any questions about our research or survey please feel free to PM me.

I see you've changed from "E Mailing" you to "PMing" you.

Do you mean PM in the Forum or In World?

And it appears that you still haven't learned anything from your previous requests.

I was asked not to provide personal information to comply with forum rules, though you are free to contact me through the email provided in my earlier post. 

My colleague and I  are looking for entrepreneurs and non-entrepreneurs as well for this stage of the study, we encourage anyone and everyone to take our survey. We are interested in studying the nature of entrepreneurship in general and specifically within SL.

At this stage in our research we are not able to provide compensation. If we receive enough responses we can begin the next step in our research which would include financial compensation for participants.

DrMichaelMorrison wrote:

I was asked not to provide personal information to comply with forum rules, though you are free to contact me through the email provided in my earlier post. 

My colleague and I  are looking for entrepreneurs and non-entrepreneurs as well for this stage of the study, we encourage anyone and everyone to take our survey. We are interested in studying the nature of entrepreneurship in general and specifically within SL.

At this stage in our research we are not able to provide compensation. If we receive enough responses we can begin the next step in our research which would include financial compensation for participants.

I was not aware of that rule, or at least it's enforcement.  The basic rules have always been that we are not supposed to provide any identifying information that the poster does not provide themselves nor is self promotion allowed.  I'll guess that it is self promotion that is being applied.

You could add your contact information to your survey.

You are encountering a very tough audience here.  Somehow it seems we have been spared this year.  Usually at semesters end we get bombarded with Surveys by students who hadn't lifted a finger all term full of ill thought questions.  Or the other thing that happens is surveys that make us feel like we are guinea pigs. 

99% of the survey takers here get told by us to go do some home work first and then come back when they have some intelligent questions.  It has honestly been that bad.

Still, many of us are willing to participate.  And to answer questions honestly.  I've actually done a couple of one on one interviews with some Master's Degree students.  But you need to give us a reason why we should.  Why are you interested in this?  What are your goals?   What is your background in this?  Otherwise all we see is a psych evaluation that looks like it was pulled from a pre-employment screening test, something that some of us have taken more times than we like to think of.

Some of us are just plain tired of the Surveys. 

Regarding the personal information. I was told by a moderator that the personal information was the reason an earlier post was removed. 

I appreciate your feedback on conducting surveys here in Second Life.  I'm aware that we haven't provided too much information about the purpose of the study. We are reluctant to provide too much information, in case we inadvertantly bias the results of the survey. 

I can say that both Dr. Barber and I are interested in researching the characteristics of entrepreneurs, specifically in Second Life. The questions asked are part of an existing literature on entrepreneurship, and are used to aid in comparing our results with earlier studies. 

Dr. Barber wrote his dissertation on, and has published several papers on the nature of entrepreneurship, and entrepreneurs.

My own research has focused mainly on virtual worlds and their in-world economies. This is my first study of Second Life; though I have been a user off and on over the past couple years. 

Once the survey is complete I'd be happy to share the results with everyone and describe the purpose and motivations for the survey.

One of the problems you'll encounter is that Linden Lab has for better or for worse done some things that way heavily against entrepreneurs in SL.  It's become very simple for someone to grab a template off the Internet, toss a texture on it and put it for sale here at a cut throat price undercutting the true entrepreneurs.  They have no real investment in what they are doing.

Really, success in SL has always been an uphill battle but it has become even harder now for many.

I don't have time now to write more because RL calls but thank you for responding.

When I have some time I will do your survey.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.