Media plugin webkit error - Windows 7

LarryB Writer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

We have a brand new machine loaded with Windows 7 Ultimate consistently getting the Media plugin webkit error from both the general availability Secondlife Viewer and the Beta  I reviewed all the available answers on the various internet sources and took the following actions

1. The Adobe flash latest edition has been installed
  2. QuickTime is updated to the latest version (also installed Safari)
  3. Deinstalled and reinstalled Secondlife general availabilty after doing steps 1 & 2 above
  4. Turned of (temporarly) the Windows firewall and the AVG security was also turned off to test (failure still occurs)
  5. Added rules to both the Windows firewall and AVG for the slplugin.exe to remove checking 
  6. Seen the referenced to snowglobe (downloaded and last available version from Secondlife.com and used the slplugin file from that to replace the version in the product installation version.
  7. The machine has installed the Bigfoot Killer Xeno Pro Network Interface Card, checked the driver (latest level)
  8. One blog entry talked about the Bigfoot providing its own copies of the Quicktime files in its library (I counted 6) and they had used them to replace the Secondlife install qt files.  I tried that and it still does not work
  9. To avoid the Bigfoot card, we are now using a wireless USB NIC to access the internet. Before using it, deinstalled SL (again) and reinstalled to refresh the QT library copies.   Even with this wireless NIC, we are STILL getting the Media plugin webkit error.  I had thought that using this would avoid the QT load problem from the Bigfoot, but this did not happen.

What was not done yet is to:

1. Uninstalled the NIC driver and update the bios to use the system board network connection.    Not really thrilled about trying this.

I did review the QT files on the NIC drive installaion and they are from July 2010, so they are downlevel.   I just don't know where else on the system these QT files would have been put.   I know the NIC driver loads at boot, so I do assume they are already resident in memory when SL is started.  The error occurs even before loggin on to SL.. and then pops up over time while in SL.   I know this is also the cause of media problems and apparently profile display problems in SL.  

What have I missed, and next steps?  I see JIRA's posted with others reporting the problem, but they are being referred to the help desk.  Given the pervasive nature (the other JIRA's and various BLOG postings, it would be great to get an offical set of steps to deal with this.   Thank you in advance for ideas, or other suggestions that can be made.

Here is the machine specs (help file)

Second Life 2.6.8 (229663) May 11 2011 16:35:46 (Second Life Beta Viewer)
Release Notes
Second Life Server 11.05.05.228940
Release Notes
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU       X 990  @ 3.47GHz (3475.34 MHz)
Memory: 12279 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit  (Build 7600)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 590/PCI/SSE2
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0012.6757
OpenGL Version: 4.1.0
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: $??

Ok this problem has been solved as least for me.  It took two changes.

The first was to uninstall the driver for the Bigfoot Network card. and then use an application to clean the registry.  The media webkit errors stopped with that change.  Download and upload speed rates are not affected, so for now... that works.

The second fix is interesting.  Windows 7 ships a new option under user account management for your machine, called User Account Control settings.   This setting does not cause a problem on Windows 7 32, but the failing machine is Windows 7 64 and its also much faster.  I can't assume that the speed is the source of it behaving differently. Once the Bigfoot network adapter was removed, you could start SL V2 once, and not get an error.   About 2 minutes into the session a message woudl be posted about account controls.  You respond to it and then crash.   If you go into the User Account Control settings and move the slider to Never notify, SL V2 now runs without crashing.  Before making this change, the V2 beta would not even start!  Program error.  That slider postion help indicates that it can be used at that setting for programs are not certified for Windows 7.

So how was this found?  Phoenix, gave more detail in the error condition for the 2nd problem, and once it was adjusted for that viewer, of course a change (fix) was seen for V2 and the V2 beta both now running without error.

Update 6/19

Since I can't comment on my own question, no additional testing has been done.  Several updates of GA and Beta were completed, but adjustments to Windows account controls have not been tried, and the bigfoot card stays uninstalled.     There is a JIRA open on this - > https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-25909?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel 

7 answers to this question

From Bigfoot networks support

Sorry for the trouble,

Thank you for the info. The test lab was able to recreate the problem and engineering is going to look in on how to fix it. A current workaround would be to unmap the Killer's LSP's (which you did in a roundabout way in your last email), but as of right now, if the LSPs are mapped, this problem will be present.

Same problem here- I'm running windows 7 Home 64 bit, but on an Alienware system that's brand new, just pulled from the box today kind of new, with a 750 gb ard drive and 8 gb of RAM. Fully enabled grapics card and everything. I tried everything on your list and mine's STILL not working.

Have to say I'm NOT impressed. I know there's nothing really wrong with my system but I am pretty pissed that I can't get Second Life to work...since that was one of the main reasons I invested in such an expensive system.            

Someone answered this question swearing he found the solution to this problem & several others say it worked for them too so just try it, it certainly won't hurt anything.

Go to your computer Program Files, click Firestorm, right click SLplugin.exe, choose compatibility. then run in compatibility mode of windows 95, apply, close.

After all the stuff you've gone through hopefully this simple task fixes your problem.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.