Get message in Firestorm Not Responding, screen freezes and then get black screen

RowanRiverSong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi there.  I'm having a real problem.  For the last couple of months (and this is getting progressively worse), I will be on certain sims (one which contains a very large piece of property that I own with 1800 prims left out of over 7,000) and for no apparent reason, when turning around, or zooming out to look at something, even just trying to type a message in the open chat window, etc., the screen will freeze, a message appears up at the top of the screen saying (Not Reponding)  and then the screen will go black.  This also happens in a club I like to go to, moreso when there are a lot of "new" people in there, than if the place isn't packed.  There are also a couple of "moderators" who set off this process when they come in.

The black screen will remain for a few seconds to sometimes a few minutes, and then will return until the next time.  Sound is uneffected.

I don't have all of my computer specs here with me (am at the office) but this is what I do know...

I'm running a six core processor

I just purchased and had instilled a brand new power supply and a brand new video card - XFX Double D FX-787A-CDFC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX

I'm running Windows 7 and all service packs are up today.

I'm not currently sure about the ram but I know it's not the low end of the available ram (i remember buying more of everything than i needed when i ordered this thing).

We had hoped that the freezes and black screens would stop with the new video card, but they continue both in Firestorm and Singularity.  I'm at a loss. I've been told things like there is a probem between the Radeon cards and "script textures"??? and all kinds of other things.  So, like I say I'm at a loss.

I will post the complete list of specs when I get home tonight, but I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of direction here.  Thanks for any help at all.

1 answer to this question

It may be an AMD/ATI problem.  Those cards are not optimized for OpenGL, so they have more problems with SL than NVidia cards do.  The information about this issue on the Firestorm support wiki is well over a year old now, so it may be dated.  See if it helps, though >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/ati_black_screen

If nothing else, consider their suggestion about updating your drivers, even if you don't use the specific one they recommend.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.