Tips and Tricks

• entries
  • comments
  • views

Contributors to this blog

[QUICKTIP] The Quickest Way to Teleport Where You Can See

Torley Linden

I, Torley Linden, am not currently blogging because my work focuses have shifted elsewhere... but you can get in touch with me on my profile page!

--

In the Advanced mode of the Second Life Viewer, subtle-yet-powerful new Preferences get added — and overlooked — leaving them less used than they could be, which makes me sad unless I do something about it. I love to champion this stuff because I know how much enjoyment it can add to your Second Life.

One bit I'd like to call out is the ability to double-click and teleport just about anywhere you see. I'm voracious about sightseeing in Second Life, and that means not having to put up with walls when I want to get somewhere. Fast. Why put up with hassle when you can 'port in the blink of an eye?'

You can turn it on in just a few clicks:

1. Select Me menu > Preferences.
  2. In the PREFERENCES window, click Move & View tab.
  3. Check Double-Click to and click either Teleport or Auto-pilot (which makes you walk somewhere instead of teleport).
  4. Click OK.

This video shows how it looks in action:

I've heard from many fans of this feature from Third-Party Viewers, so I'm glad it's come to the SL Viewer.

Oh, and if you prefer to use Basic mode, this combined functionality is already on: single-click auto-pilots, double-click teleports! The difference is a small dot to indicate your destination. Which makes me curious: if you prefer Advanced mode, do you want this feature on by default? (Click to discuss in the forums.)

• Like 1

25 Comments

Recommended Comments

Well done Torley, this should certainly be a on by default feature. Once we get verticle IM tabs without an XML hack I will be ready to make the switch over to viewer 2 (or 3 now)

The only problem i have with em (I already discovered them and the cursor going right to the text box when I start to type) is that coming out of inventory, I gotta click the window to get my focus back on the window. This often sets me to wandering and poses a real problem if i'm riding da bike. Oh well, i  know where da lost and found is. Still have troubles going to mouselook without typing mmmmmmmmm in the local chat. There's gotta be a keyboard shortcut to get around that, but I'm still a noob. I'm still trying to figure out how to find a currently working radio url for my boat.

Its a great feature now that i know about it i might use it. Some noobs are having a problem with it and inworld mini games now that I know about it I can solve their problem. I'm probably the only one in SL usin the 1st viewer from a couple a years ago.

Nice try, but I still don't like the viewer 2 !!!

I'm still using the viewer 1, and I wouldn't change its interface still for anything else. For exploring and minigames still remains the best !!!!

And I'm using it from 3 years without problems.

this is off subject but the work they put against third party viewer tags was compleat bs and stupid. not being able to see what viewer people are on!????? alot of us needed that to assist newer users in telling them things and how things needed to be done. in ccs for example. absulutly the dumbest thing linden labs has done. wich ive seen alota dumb things they do but thats one of the worst

oi pessoa sera que alguem pode me ahudar e pq eu comesei hoje e nao sei nada quero conheser pessoas e lugares me ajudem pfv

Thanks a lot Torley as a newish member of SecondLife I certainly appreciate information of this nature as it make my Second Life so much easier when I am given knowledge like this . Yes after trying  it out by following your  instructions I for one think it  should be a default .Thankyou also for the informative and useful tutorial . Regards Gaius . 

love can wait

Torley Linden wrote:

I, Torley Linden, am not currently blogging because my work focuses have shifted elsewhere... but you can get in touch with me on 
!

--

In the
of the Second Life Viewer, subtle-yet-powerful new Preferences get added — and overlooked — leaving them less used than they could be, which makes me sad unless I do something about it. I love to champion this stuff because I know how much enjoyment it can add to
your
Second Life.

One bit I'd like to call out is the ability to
double-click and teleport just about anywhere you see
. I'm voracious about sightseeing in Second Life, and that means not having to put up with walls when I want to get somewhere.
Fast.
Why put up with hassle when you can 'port in the blink of an eye?'

You can turn it on in just a few clicks:
  1. Select 
    Me
    menu >
    Preferences
  2. In the PREFERENCES window, click
    Move & View
    tab.
  3. Check
    Double-Click to
    and click either
    Teleport
    or
    Auto-pilot
    (which makes you walk somewhere instead of teleport).
  4. Click
    OK

This video shows how it looks in action:

I've heard from many fans of this feature from Third-Party Viewers, so I'm glad it's come to the SL Viewer.

Oh, and if you prefer to use Basic mode, this combined functionality is already on: single-click auto-pilots, double-click teleports! The difference is a small dot to indicate your destination. Which makes me curious:
if you prefer Advanced mode,

(Click to discuss in the forums.)

this  was very  useful that there is another world to  visit

I read this and thought Id give it a go. I am always getting lost because I cant keep up whenwalking with other avis.

The preferences are different two years later but I was able to figure out how/where to make the change.

Under preferences find move & view...movement...see  (double click on land)...and change in box ...to....teleport to clicked point.

It works a treat.