Tips and Tricks

• entries
  • comments
  • views

Contributors to this blog

[QUICKTIP] Dragging a texture preview to apply it

Torley Linden

Skip if you already know this — apparently it's been around for awhile and I had no clue.

You can drag an open texture preview onto any applicable surface, whether it's a prim face or a profile picture.

This may be a quick shortcut if you've already got a texture open and were under the assumption (like me) that you had to drag it from the PICK: TEXTURE window or from your inventory.

What's a Second Life trick that you wish you discovered earlier, because it seems totally obvious in hindsight?

(Don't be shy, there's always something new to discover in Second Life, and I encourage this curiosity! The only wrong answer is not learning.)

0 Comments

Recommended Comments

No way!!!

I never knew you could do that either. Every time I upload a texture to apply to something I go through the process of closing it, OK'ing the dialog, and then dragging it from my inventory to the object, and I didn't have to!

Still - I love the fact that I still manage to discover cool new tips in SL every day even though I thought I knew it all!

I know you already know about this one, Torley, but I doubt it's common knowledge:

Type "/0" without quotes before typing a local chat message in order to suppress the typing sound just for that message (and the "/0" will disappear when you send it).  Just a "/" also works, but then the slash will appear in your chat message.

Hahahahaha! You didn't know? Hahahahaha!

Seriously though...I think it's in a very old tutorial someone posted on yootoob years back.

Just don't try to add sculpt textures like that or you just get pretty coloured cubes!

During my first year in SL, when I wanted to create a folder to place it inside another folder of the Inventory I FIRST created the folder and THEN moved into the other folder.

It took me a year to learn that I could right-click the folder and creaste a new folder inside.

Fool (like me) but true

What's a Second Life trick that you wish you discovered earlier, because it seems totally obvious in hindsight?

Well, not really obvious (I'm still not sure whether it's a peculiar bug or a feature, but looks like a feature that might be useful), but I was surprised I didn't know about it, when upon examination, it turned out that the behavior has been like this like ... forever:

Double click the edge of a resizeable floater and see what happens.

Confused? Well, I certainly was, too, and filed VWR-23452 Double click on resizeable floater's edge or corner resizes floater. I haven't yet got any confirmation that this is expected behavior, but if I get, I'll happily close the jira issue. Though I hope that in that case, it'd get documented somewhere.

• Lindens

@Suella Yay! At least we can share this process of discovery together!

@Celierra That's a good one for those who want to generally have their typing anim on, but not all the type. I remember when that was the general workaround before we added the preference to disable typing anim.

@Sue Dayum, I wish I had seen their tutorial! Do you remember who made it/ where it is?

@Irene Me too! That was one of the things that started me on a "right-click everywhere..." journey.

@Boroondas That IS a quirky mystery. So glad you brought it up, that's weird — it's especially bizarre when such an undocumented feature has been around years.

Since the whole alpha flicker thing drives me nuts one of my fav tricks is to use fast alpha.  When I have that checked the alphas dont have that problem of determining which alpha is in front of the other and they dont flicker ..yay

.  well at least not as much.  However there is a bit of a tradeoff as the alphas themselves are not as crisp when usig the fast alpha setting.  My questions is though is there not a way that textures could be assigned priority so when you  build something you can let the system know which alpha should be in the foreground?