You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Recognized Resident
Nefera Meiler

Latex/leather/PVC texturing in photoshop

i am currently trying to unravel the mystery of making latex/leather/PVC textures in GIMP. it probably isn't such a big mystery but i would like a step by step guide from someone who's at least done this once before. for instance, right now i'm trying to make a kill bill outfit for practice, how do i make it shiny??

Rolig Loon

Re: Latex/leather/PVC texturing in photoshop

Reply to Nefera Meiler - view message

Have you tried typing "Latex Textures in GIMP" into the Google search engine?  It looks like there are several pages of tutorials there.

Not as dumb as I look
Lilah Munster

I don't use GIMP, I use PSP, however the basics are the same.  You'll need a few basic cloth/leather textures (available from all manner of free texture sites) and a set of those "fake bake" textures that are widely available in-world, on XStreet, and on the web.  Experiment with placing the cloth/leather textures and the fake bakes over each other, using different opacity blends ("burn", "dodge", and "hard light" are good ones to start with) and you should start seeing something like what you want.  You will need to tweak the fake bake textures, as there are some shadows that don't really lend themselves well to attractive clothing.  Branch out from the cloth/leather textures, too, you just need something that isn't a totally flat area of color.  (I have used metal and concrete textures on clothing before.)

Another method that works, if you can get some nice skin templates, is to reduce the saturation on those so that they're grayscale, and use them instead of the fake bakes.  (You'll want to clone brush out the details, like nipples and navels, of course.)

If you want something really, really shiny, you may need to paint in some highlights manually with the airbrush or dodge tools.

What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
Recognized Resident
Nefera Meiler

thanks a ton guys, but seeing as i am broke, are there any tutorials on how to make your own fake bakes? they look like they could help a lot.

Honored Resident
Syntax Wilder

Nefera, there were some free ones that someone ( Their name excapes me for the moment), made in the old archives.  As those archives are no longer viewable, drop me an email and I'll send you a copy of them.  There are also some free fake bakes available on xstreetsl as well.

Recognized Resident
Nefera Meiler

i found the fake bakes, i'll find time to experiment with them when i'm not doing homework. thanks again!

Honored Resident
Syntax Wilder

No problem, just happy you managed to find them.