You are currently in the Blog Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Blogs can be found here.

Snowglobe 1.0 now available

by Recognized Resident Rob Linden on ‎06-24-2009 04:47 PM

We're proud to announce the release of Snowglobe 1.0! Snowglobe is a Second Life-compatible viewer, built jointly by the open source community and Linden Lab. As Philip Linden described when he first announced the project back in March, we set out to create "a widely-used, openly developed version of the Second Life client which is a compelling alternative for a broad set of users, and contains enhancements and development that then rapidly make their way back into the mainstream Second Life version." The viewer we're releasing today represents our first step toward that goal; getting some early features into your hands.

Watch Torley Linden's demonstration of Snowglobe in action:

The biggest new feature is the new map. Zooming out is fast and seamless. The icons only show up when you're zoomed in close enough for them to be useful, and don't clutter the view when you're zoomed out. Map tiles load quickly with the right amount of detail for the view. In short, the map really works now.

Another fun feature: the minimap will now let you zoom ridiculously close in.   Handy for those large gatherings where all of the avatar dots just seem to pile on top of each other.  It's also more fun than you ever knew you could have with your scrollwheel.

There are under the hood improvements as well.  The changing of the map necessitated pulling in some work that we're doing to improve how textures get loaded in the viewer.  We now have an updated texture loading mechanism, along with some textures (just map tiles for now) being loaded via HTTP rather than over our custom UDP protocol.  Don't expect too many performance improvements just yet as the result of this, but expect bigger improvements later as we more heavily rely on this feature for future server releases.

C++ developers should find this release much easier to work with.  We've rolled out some work we've done with Kitware, makers of the popular CMake build configuration tool, which makes it much easier to compile your own build of the Snowglobe viewer.

Some things to look out for, though. This viewer is developed on a more rapid release schedule and less formal manner than the official Second Life viewer and therefore can be less stable. Snowglobe will typically contain new features, changes, or capabilities in SL which are not yet available in the official release. Some of these changes may be experimental and may or may not ultimately be included in official releases. Also note that Snowglobe connects to the live Second Life Grid. All user information, L$, content, land and other transactions conducted in this viewer are real.

If we haven't scared you off, then please, see for yourself! Download Snowglobe now, and visit the Snowglobe home page to learn more about participating in the development of Snowglobe.

Comments
by Resident Teresa Republic on ‎06-24-2009 05:20 PM

Wonderful! I'll definitely be checking it out!

by Contributor Ceera Murakami on ‎06-24-2009 05:53 PM

Well, I hope this official release version runs better on Mac than the one I downladed from the Wiki just last week. That older version only got 1/2 the frame rate that I got in the same position, avatar and graphics settings with 1.22.

by Honored Resident robertltux McCallen on ‎06-24-2009 06:01 PM

umm last week is about 4? releases back just a nonLinden Voice here but

DO NOT UNINSTALL YOUR NORMAL RELEASE CLIENT

of course if 1.23 is not wokring for you you may want to try SnowGlobe and a back rev normal client

(since SnowGlobe is a 1.23 codebase viewer)

by Member Ghosty Kips on ‎06-24-2009 06:28 PM

"This viewer is developed on a more rapid release schedule and less formal manner than the official Second Life viewer and therefore can be less stable."

I don't think I can add anything there that everyone else isn't already thinking.

BUT, I'll give it a go, because just the idea of a faster map is awesome. If it performs as well for me as it did for Torley, it's a 1000% improvement for my SL - a working map is crucial for flying aircraft on a planned route!

by New Resident Viajero Pugilist on ‎06-24-2009 06:29 PM

The vid brings to mind a small tweak I think would be useful --

Consider replacing the labeled button "Show Destination" with the more accurate and user-freindly "Center Destination", or even better, the label Google Maps uses for the same function: "Center map here".

A tiny point, but one which makes the interface incrementally more familiar and more clear, I believe.

by Recognized Resident Adric Antfarm on ‎06-24-2009 06:34 PM

So far so good.

Fast.    I would say Rainbow+ fast.

Oh - I don't think anyone has to uninstall anything.   My sad combiantion of Cool, Rainbow, Imprudence, Release, and FSM knows what else always seems to get along fine.   This slid in just fine.

by Honored Resident Elliott Eldrich on ‎06-24-2009 07:01 PM

I wanted to ask about shadow rendering in Snowglobe. From what I understand, it has been enabled if you do the following:

In preferences, under the "Graphics" tab, turn "Atmospheric Shaders" on.

Open the "Advanced" menu (CTL+ALT+D)

In the "Advanced" menu, go to Debug settings

Set renderuseFBO to "TRUE"

Set renderdeferred to "TRUE".

Note: You may need to turn antialiasing OFF in the hardware settings under the Graphics tab. Otherwise, enabling shadows may crash your session.

I'm using the OS X version of Snowglobe, and when I do this I don't get shadows. I notice that I can repeatedly set "renderdeferred" to TRUE and yet when I check it again it has reset to FALSE. I don't know if that has anything to do with the client, or if it a matter of a limitation with either OS X or the OS X video drivers.

I will say, however, that Snowglobe is WICKED fast. I was getting insane framerates in my work area. If anyone has tried enabling shadows in Snowglobe, I would very much like to hear if they worked for you or not. If anyone has managed to enable shadows in Snowglobe on OS X, then I'd REALLY like to hear from you!

Regards to all,

Elliott Eldrich

by Contributor Ceera Murakami on ‎06-24-2009 07:02 PM

Quick examination of the Win XP version.

Same settings for graphics, same avatar in the same location, after allowing a few minutes to get the FPS rate to stabalize. With maxxed settings, frame rate with SnowGmobe was 1/3 slower than the old 1.22 client.

Map didn't show the tiles at all zoom levels. Near the closest end of the scale, whole tiles would vanish.

Minimap gets trashed the first time you try to change its scale. Zoom close is insanely close, zoom medium could fill a 900 x 900 window and still not show the whole sim. But Zoom far? It's a quarter-inch square, much too small to be useful at all! And NO way to set it back to the starting point, short of a complete uninstall and re-install of SnowGlobe!

Mac version:

Same issues as above, but WORSE frame rate. On a Mac Pro tower, with graphics maxxed, Version 1.22 gets me 30+ FPS, while Snowglobe wades through the slush at 14 FPS.

Uninstalling now...

by Contributor Ceera Murakami on ‎06-24-2009 07:09 PM

Shadows do not work on Mac OS. Period. Never have.

by Contributor Ceera Murakami on ‎06-24-2009 07:10 PM

Mac version:

Same issues as above, but WORSE frame rate. On a Mac Pro tower, with graphics maxxed, Version 1.22 gets me 30+ FPS, while Snowglobe wades through the slush at 14 FPS.

Uninstalling now...

by Recognized Resident Adric Antfarm on ‎06-24-2009 07:19 PM

Are you folks turning on multiple threads?

That makes a big different for me

by Honored Resident Elliott Eldrich on ‎06-24-2009 07:19 PM

Ceera - what video card are you using? I'm also on a Mac Pro (Gen 1), with 4x2.66 Xeon cores, 10GB of ram and an Nvidia 8800GT video card.

by Member SuezanneC Baskerville on ‎06-24-2009 07:24 PM

The big news for me is that Snowglobe is now available for download on the standard download page.  Hooray!

In what way is it easier to compile that the other releases?   That link about compiling goes to the same old get source and compile page that's been around a long time.

Just trying it now, still installing.

by Member SuezanneC Baskerville on ‎06-24-2009 07:39 PM

Well, I've tried it now, and I get banded skies, like we had years ago.

Oh well.

by Honored Resident Arishia Nishi on ‎06-24-2009 08:03 PM

I enabled shadows and it was awesome.  The only 'glitch' (?) was that flexi hair comes and goes with the angle of view, and clothing textures didn't render as smoothly. Avatar shadows are not quite realistic yet.   I'm not sure how to describe the way things looked in general, except to say it was a little flashy, and not as smooth and clear as when shadows are not enabled.  But having shadows was cool.  Looking forward to the future atmosphere of sl.

by Member Ghosty Kips on ‎06-24-2009 08:36 PM

OK, I've played with it for a bit.

The map is MAD FAST. I have never seen the whole grid map in the viewer before. Awesome. It's a bit buggy still, some of the tiles dissapear, leaving black squares.

And, the mini-map zoom thing is very cool, too.

Very fast rendering of the environment. I haven't tried the shadows thing yet, but plan to.

Oh, yes. Group chat still b0rked. And, when editing an object, could not get any textures in the texture picker aside from a single snapshot. Oh well, what's in there looks really cool for future releases.

by Honored Resident Elliott Eldrich on ‎06-24-2009 08:43 PM

I too am very much looking forward to when shadows are enabled in the regular client. It's going to have a huge, huge impact on the overall look of Second Life. As of now I have two big questions regarding shadows:

First, will they eventually be made to work in the OS X version of the client? If not, why not, and is there something that needs to be done by Apple to make this able to work?

Second, what is the ETA for when shadows will be made a part of the regular viewer? I would assume they would be an option that could be turned on or off by the user.

Having a rough idea of when shadows might become a feature in the regular client would be a huge help for us content creators. I'm really looking forward to the day when "fake" shadows are no longer needed, and instead real shadows become a part of the everyday Second Life experience for most users.

Another question: Are there plans to increase the number of local lights able to be rendered by the viewer? If so, what would that new number be? Six local lights maximum is quite restrictive.

by Honored Resident Digital Digital on ‎06-24-2009 08:53 PM

I'm really curious... Why is there such bad frame rate on mac viewer even for the official version of second life? I have a killer mac with killer graphics card, and on leopard running SL , I get terrible performance... What gives? NOW if I boot in to Windows using Boot-camp on the same mac and use the windows viewer I get excellent performance?  It doesn't add up to my why I get this terrible performance on mac with Second Life however when I boot in to windows on the same machine I get excellent performance! What gives for this. I never use to have this problem at all, it seems about a year ago this started happening on all macs! I see tons of complaints about this and no one seems to be doing anything about it? It really frustrates me because I HATE WINDOWS! And am tired of having to BOOT in to windows just to use Second Life.  Can anyone please give me a reasonable explanation or fill me in on why this happens it is just so frustrating.  Thank you

by Honored Resident Gordon Wendt on ‎06-24-2009 08:54 PM

Group chat I think is entirely a server side bug that as far as I've read seems to have come with the 1.26 series of server updates so no matter what client you use it'll be an issue.

by Honored Resident Cinco Pizzicato on ‎06-24-2009 08:59 PM

I like it, and I like the fact that it exists.

But... If one of the improvements is to the mini-map, why does the mini-map still not seem to be able to count above 1000? It's been a longstanding bug that avatars above the old build ceiling appear as down-pointing arrows, even though they're definately higher.

All told, though, this viewer looks good. I haven't tried to buy land or currency with it, and maybe I'm paranoid enough that I won't try. :-)

by Member Dil Spitz on ‎06-24-2009 09:02 PM

Thank You : )

it shows to me much faster, specially on things like opening a new inventory window with some like 20,000. All in all the UI seam to react more dynamic and the viewer seam to load indeed the textures a lil bit faster.

A first peeking to this shadow renderer feels much smoother, with less rendering overhead, for any reason i just get black snappies out of this if doing snap2disk, but a widows screenshot makes its way. This shadow-things are really great, it will bring SL snappieholics in the next level. See the shadowless version here

But the best, the horrible 'High-res Snapshot'-bug is fixed! : ) Special Thank You for this!!!

Ciao : )

Dil

by Recognized Resident Rob Linden on ‎06-24-2009 11:38 PM

Thanks everyone for your interest!  We're really glad that many of you are having a much better experience.  For those of you who see a step backward, we hope you can help us make it better.  If you can help narrow down what is unique about your system, we may be able to figure out how to tune things for future releases.  Since each new client is often doing more, there's always going to be the chance that things will get worse for some combination of hardware, operating system and drivers, since we can't possibly test every single combination out there.

Some specific comments:

@Viajero: thanks for the suggestion.  That sounds like a good suggestion to make on the sl-ux@ mailing list, and/or filed as a feature request at jira.secondlife.com.

@SuezanneC: the main changes with the build process have to do with when a build fails.  Previously, you'd get an oddball Python backtrace or something equally obtuse.  In Snowglobe builds, the error messages are much more instructive, and the build is more likely to succeed in an untested environment than it was before.  Additionally, we have the option of changing the build instructions to use some new conventions, but we're holding off until these changes make their way into more than just Snowglobe.

@Elliott: I can't speak to plans for getting shadow rendering in the main viewer.  It's a complicated feature that requires really good graphics support up and down the whole graphics stack (hardware, drivers, operating system, OpenGL implementation).  Supporting it well enough to make it the standard is going to involve some mix of further work on our part, possibly some community-contribution and cooperation, and an evolution of the graphics implementations to better support applications like ours.

by Member Linda Brynner on ‎06-25-2009 03:07 AM

Magnificant. Certainly i will take a look

My specific interest is faster rendering of textures since this is borked from 1.21 onwards in my case.

And as i understand correctly the combination of further development of both on this viewer and the servers will eventually lead to that goal.

I will have my fingers crossed for the coming months. This viewer will be my last hope since, as i understood, Philip has been directly involved in this one. If you pull it off Philip, you will be kissed all over by me and many i suppose... lol

by Honored Resident Chupacabra Decosta on ‎06-25-2009 03:24 AM

For me Snowglobe works like the rest of the 1.23, i can´t see lots of avatars, even some in partys, i switch to 1.22 and all avatars show up. I have now 3 viewers instaled, 1.22 , 1.23RC4 and Snowglobe, i will try install more until i see all avatars, its the only problem i ask to correct, please!

My Spec:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Series Processor (2400 MHz)
Memory: 3583 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce 9600 GT/PCI/SSE2
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 6.14.0011.7416
OpenGL Version: 2.1.2

by Member Deltango Vale on ‎06-25-2009 04:22 AM

Having spent a bit more time using Snowglobe, I find it slow and awkward. The main map does not move well. A sideways shift will often cause the whole viewer to stall. Zooming is not smooth. Rescaling is slow and quirky. For now, I much prefer the old map system.

Oh, and this may be the time to mention a long-standing complaint. Would you please change the default water color. The current sickly blue soup (made from used kitchen bandages?) looks even sadder on the new map. May I humbly suggest R0 G12 B10. At the very least, it would be nice if the Environment Editor, Advanced Water Settings could be fixed so that one can add+keep a preset and/or change the default. It's been broken for ages.

by Member Vivienne Schell on ‎06-25-2009 04:43 AM

The map feature is GOREOUS.

Anything else needs the same bug fixes as the official viwer needs.

by Contributor Ceera Murakami on ‎06-25-2009 06:56 AM

Here is my system specs, for the two systems I tested on. Snowglobe got half the frame rate on Mac, 2/3 the frame rate on Windows, with the same graphics and other settings marked here.

===

MAC PRO:

Second Life 1.22.11 (113941) Mar  6 2009 12:27:34 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

You are at 255065.2, 286242.2, 3000.8 in Lost Gryphon Island located at sim2129.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.16.134:13002)
Second Life Server 1.26.4.120562
Release Notes

CPU: 4 x i386 (Unknown) (2660 MHz)
Memory: 2048 MB
OS Version: Darwin 9.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.7.0: Tue Mar 31 22:52:17 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1228.12.14~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X1900 OpenGL Engine
OpenGL Version: 2.0 ATI-1.5.44

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.16.3 OpenSSL/0.9.7l zlib/1.2.3
J2C Decoder Version: KDU
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
LLMozLib Version: - 2.01.24903 (Mozilla GRE version 1.8.1.13_0000000000)
Packets Lost: 0/1221 (0.0%)

Run Multiple threads is on, bandwidth 1500, Cache 1000, texture memory 256
40 FPS with graphics maxxed

On a very high speed broadband (Cable modem) connection, via Time Warner
Actual measured transfer rate is 3,439.3 KB/Sec download, 231.8 KP/Sec upload
Actual measured download/upload is 27,514  KBPS download, 1,854 KBPS upload
Latency 26 Ms

====

Windows XP System:

Second Life 1.22.11 (113941) Mar  6 2009 12:50:02 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

You are at 255065.2, 286242.1, 3000.8 in Lost Gryphon Island located at sim2129.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.16.134:13002)
Second Life Server 1.26.4.120562
Release Notes

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 Northwood (2259 MHz)
Memory: 2047 MB
Graphics Card: GeForce4 Ti 4600/AGP/SSE2
OpenGL Version: 1.5.7

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.16.4 OpenSSL/0.9.7c zlib/1.2.3
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.740000
LLMozLib Version: - 2.01.24903 (Mozilla GRE version 1.8.1.13_0000000000)
Packets Lost: 0/1586 (0.0%)

Run Multiple threads is off, bandwidth 1500, Cache 500, texture memory 128
30 FPS with graphics maxxed

On a very high speed broadband (Cable modem) connection, via Time Warner
Actual measured transfer rate is 2,461.9 KB/Sec download, 234.6 KP/Sec upload
Actual measured download/upload is 19,695  KBPS download, 1,877 KBPS upload
Latency 35 Ms

by Honored Resident Hollys Chevalier on ‎06-25-2009 11:01 AM

Things rez faster for me in Snowglobe when compared to the regular viewer. I really need an available resolution higher than 1024x768 though.  I'm spoiled, I have a 22" widesceen Acer monitor that is maxed out at 1680x1050.  I really prefer being in SL full screen.  If I make the Snowglobe window full size, SL looks OK though. 

I really miss group chat a lot. That should have been fixed ages ago.  /me waves hi to any of her Caledonian neighbors who might wander by.

System specs, if anyone cares: 32 bit Vista (ugh, I know) OS running on Pentium dual core CPU E5200 @ 2.50 gHz 1.90 gHz with 4 gigs RAM.  ATI Radeon card because I had it laying around.  Home built brand new system, just went live yesterday. 

by Recognized Resident Adric Antfarm on ‎06-25-2009 11:07 AM

Wanted to post stats for my main machine.

I need some guidance on FPS.   Standing in my box it's 95 but that is hardly fair.  Standing in a sim it's 53 right this moment, but if I turn around it's 36.   It seems very subjective unless we all agree to look at the same thing.

My net connection is complicated.  Cox quotes a minimum (which they in no way guarantee) and then an up to speed (which I often exceed).   As of this moment speedtest.net is claiming 28mbps down and ten minutes ago it was 88mbps.

All settings are default minus multiple threads which is on.

Video is 1680x1024 High (all default)

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 5000+ (2605 MHz)

Memory: 2047 MB

Graphics Card: GeForce 7900 GS/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 6.14.0011.8618
OpenGL Version: 2.1.2libcurl Version: libcurl/7.18.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8j zlib/1.2.3
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
LLMozLib Version: - 2.01.24907 (Mozilla GRE version 1.8.1.21_0000000000)
Packets Lost: 3/21743 (0.0%)

by Honored Resident Khamon Fate on ‎06-25-2009 12:03 PM

What excites me about this is seeing Philip's public perception shift from The Grid All Hail The Central Grid hosting the ironclad wora'uld you will see and experience as prescribed by the Holy Builders and destroyed by The Most Sacred Protection of the Divine Anonymity, to the realization that "Your World, Your Imagination" means your viewer building your world for you drawing on resources provided by The Grid plus (this is the important part) others.

At least at this point, he's advocating changes in the system to accommodate viewer enhancements provided by users who want those features but need a bit of backend support. It won't be long before that support won't have to be hosted on The Grid itself, but might be drawn from anywhere on the Internet, or even from a local source.

Security Security Security I know I know but consider that any given functions in a space might be provided for specific groups and subgroups. I might land in a sim, experience a nice environment, but not be able to enter any of the buildings unless I register on a website, effectively making me a part of that group, so that my browser can key a logthrough to see that content. The possibilities are endless and dynamically compelling. I can even build content that taps my local hard drive but is only visible, or useable, by myself and my alts. Other people can see the pretty chest, but not open it to see the contents. When I suggested such things a few years ago, Philip told me I was tripping on acid. Now he's in front of the revolution pulling it forward.

I can't wait to get to SF.

by Honored Resident ivoni Miles on ‎06-25-2009 02:00 PM

Snowglobe doesn't work for me..

I have a laptop ACER Aspire 3020

CPU Sempron 3000+

768MB RAM

Graphic card ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600

Every time i try to log in, i crash where it says "Loading World". I would appreciate any kind of help..

by Honored Resident Jessicka Graves on ‎06-25-2009 04:26 PM

Suffers from the same problems as Second Life as it stands now - It is slower and laggier then 1.23.4 & especially slower/laggier then 1.22. Sure, the map is faster and the minimap can zoom more...Yay? I'm amazed LL couldn't do this with SL sooner, but it's barely worth mentioning, being like...the only highlights of the entire viewer.

(Though RenderUnloadedAvatar bug: http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-7334 is not apparent in the SnowGlobe viewer. The stupid cloud, or confusing-ugly prim is there, but if you turn RenderUnloadedAvatar to True, you get to see the proper, true Ruth.)

by New Resident Tizzy Canucci on ‎06-25-2009 05:07 PM

Running it on a well below minimum spec laptop with Radeon Xpress 1500 graphics, it produces a more constant fps rate making movement easier (we are talking less than 10fps here with either viewer, but too often slviewer would stutter and drop below 1). Just visited two graphics intense areas which have come into view way sooner than with the standard viewer and are now practical places to visit. Typing lag is also greatly reduced. My experience is that this is a great improvement, at least for my low spec computer.

by Honored Resident Thunderclap Morgridge on ‎06-25-2009 06:33 PM

You are aware that Xp is approaching its 8th birthday. I wouldnt expect Snowglobe to work properly on it.

by Honored Resident Thunderclap Morgridge on ‎06-25-2009 06:36 PM

The open source coders either don't know how to program for a Mac or don't care to.

by Honored Resident Thunderclap Morgridge on ‎06-25-2009 06:38 PM

I have a Acer asprire 4720 with 2 Gigs of memory and it loads but it is crash laden.

by Honored Resident robertltux McCallen on ‎06-25-2009 08:00 PM

"The open source coders either don't know how to program for a Mac or don't care to.""

you do know that if you can code on the mac platform you could just dive in

by Honored Resident Anthony Hocken on ‎06-25-2009 09:19 PM
We now have an updated texture loading mechanism, along with some
textures (just map tiles for now) being loaded via HTTP rather than
over our custom UDP protocol.  Don't expect too many performance
improvements just yet as the result of this, but expect bigger
improvements later as we more heavily rely on this feature for future
server releases.

@Rob Linden. Are you only planning to use the HTTP method for textures loaded from your own servers, or are you planning to make it work for prim textures loaded from our own web servers too? If so I think this would be a bad idea from a privacy standpoint. Textures loaded from our own servers and proxied via the sim would be great though.

by Honored Resident Sandor Balczo on ‎06-26-2009 05:18 AM

I have to say with some caution that my first impression of Snowglobe on my iMac 2008 (with 3.05 Ghz Intel Core Duo processor, Nvidia Gforce 8800 graphics card and 4 GB of RAM) has been very positive.

Smooth and fast rendering of textures, good FPS rating in a crowded environment, and the amazing chance of being able to use Ultra graphics settings (whereas the recommendation for the current SL viewer is high) all are improvements to the Mac OS experience.

Apart from all the other bugs we know, there is one in particular that is more visible in Snowglobe, though: alpha textures becoming totally transparent and showing what is beyond them. This is unfortunately even more noticeable in Snowglobe.

For your info, I use SL on Mac OS X Leopard and Windows 7 beta environments.

With all due respect, those who demand that Snowglobe (or the SL viewer for that matter) work with inadequate configurations (whether obsolete or the bare minimum) should definitely give up and upgrade their hardware. I really do not understand all this fuss about SL HAVING TO WORK on old PCs when everyone would gladly pay any price to play the latest version of any game on the market if it requires the newest hardware. Second Life is no exception.

Sandor

by Honored Resident Elliott Eldrich on ‎06-26-2009 05:24 AM

Sandor, I agree with your statement that people should be more willing to upgrade their hardware to get an optimum experience with SL. The good news is that with the graphics settings, people can use lower settings to run SL on older, slower computers or use higher settings to take advantage of faster computers. I too have the Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT in my Mac Pro and have gotten very good results in SL.

This is also another reason why I'd like to see dynamic shadow rendering added as a graphics option to the regular client as soon as possible: It will give people yet another incentive to upgrade their hardware, and give those who have more powerful hardware a greatly enhanced SL experience.

Yes, as of now I'm rather fixated on shadows. Just one of those things, once you've seen what SL looks like with shadow rendering, it's kind of hard to just live with the regular, no shadows rendered look.

by Advisor Coby Foden on ‎06-26-2009 06:43 AM

When texture is applied to a prim, the Bumpiness works only when the setting is Brightness or Darkness. With all the other settings (woodgrain, bark, bricks, checker, concrete, etc.) there is no bumpiness. All those work in the official 1.23 viewer, but not in Snowglobe.

Snowglobe 1.0.2 (2451) Jun 19 2009 19:29:16 (Snowglobe Release)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Series Processor (2393 MHz)
Memory: 2032 MB
Graphics Card: Quadro FX 1600M/PCI/SSE2
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 6.14.0011.8585
OpenGL Version: 3.0.0

by New Resident Tizzy Canucci on ‎06-26-2009 06:59 AM

Elliott, you put it well. I certainly don't demand that it works on older or obsolete systems, I was expressing delight that Snowglobe ran as well as it did. But I am not a gamer, which is something that I share with many in sl, and would not think of, nor gladly pay any price to play the latest version of any game. SL drew me in because it just about worked on the laptop I have and that ability to 'taste' what sl is about is important. My main, fast and powerful computer (still running XP for what I think are very good practical reasons) on which I regularly run Adobe CS3, alongside whatever other programs I need, simply wouldn't run SL because I didn't have a video card - the onboard graphics is plenty enough for 2d applications. People have computers for different reasons and SL should not just cater for gamers.

by New Resident Nanci Barthelmess on ‎06-26-2009 11:54 AM

I take it Snowglobe is set up to replace things like the Open Metaverse Viewer? I know that's currently a Linux-only project (for now?), but I've been running it a bit and I find that I like that even more than the official viewer. I'll have to give Snowglobe a test and see which viewer I like most.

by New Resident Yak Wise on ‎06-27-2009 12:59 PM

Love the fast loading, but terrible Alpha Channel problems that I do not have with the SL viewer.

Installed latest Driver for the NVidea 8800 but does not cure it.

by New Resident Remmie Azemus on ‎06-27-2009 08:47 PM

Simple Question:

Is this fully compatible with viewer 1.23?  I.e.  the whole new adult content?  Will Snowglobe allow me to view all adult content when the switchover is made in 2 months or is viewer 1.23 the only one at this time?

by Honored Resident Rocket Flasheart on ‎06-27-2009 10:06 PM

Remmie I can answer that, SnowGlobe is version 1.0 This means brand new. There are also numerous statements about the fact that SnowGlobe is a test bed viewer of OpenSource efforts. If something doesn't work or doesn't act in the manner you expect or want, please keep in mind that it is a work under development.

Recent version straight from trunk (USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!): Windows Mac Linux (Build 2462, June 27, 2009).

It wont do any good to ask why something doesn't work, or will it work, or make comments about it not working. This is true for just about every software program in existence as improvements are always "ongoing". When a software product is finished to the satisfaction of the creator/s, it is usually released with system requirements, compatibility information and is never implied 100% functional in 100% or all situations on 100% of all platforms in existence.

Best advice when trying somethng experiemntal, expect some things not to work, try it out, play with it, if you don't like it or it doesn't work for you, get rid of it. Sooner or later it may work "out of the box."

Also, keep in mind (everyone else) that using a program like the SL viewer or the SnowGlobe viewer to "benchmark" your system by how well SL responds to your system is far beyond ridiculous. Also most of the comments I have read here show no one with any understanding about how their graphics chipset and the OpenGL/DirectX engines work on a GPU in conjuntion with your CPU and consistently show they have no understanding of FPS(or how it works) on their  local machine versus the SL servers.

It does no good to anyone to know what your system specs are (especially if you leave out the GPU speed and graphics ram spec and rendering engine type and driver info). The comments about system specs (lacking all "pertinent" information) is nothing more than boasting about what kind of system/s you have which means nothing in comparison to what anyone else has. I.E. useless information.

by Honored Resident shug Maitland on ‎06-28-2009 12:05 AM

4 days on Snowglobe, no real complaints. Interesting load sequence, textures before prims, so you wait for the prims, but they come all textured. that is always a tradeoff.

good work Phillip and crew

by Honored Resident robertltux McCallen on ‎06-28-2009 05:35 AM

Oh and yes Snowglobe is from the 1.23 codebase so is does have all of the 1.23 changes (plus some of its own of course)

by Member SuezanneC Baskerville on ‎06-28-2009 09:51 AM

I'm getting banded skies like we used to get a few years ago.

Snowglobe is the only viewer that produces this effect.  I've used a bunch of viewers and not seen this.

Any ideas of what might cause this and if there's a setting I can change in either Snowglobe's settings or elsewhere?

This is on Windows XP SP3, with an ATI X800,  using two monitors, SL running on the primary monitor, and an oddball modified video driver and Catalyst Control Center:  DNA ATiXp 9.2 x32 . I don't recall exactly what drove me to install the DNA modded driver.  I would usually have either Catalyst 7.11, the last version of Catalyst that will display the menu text correctly.

by Honored Resident Chakalak Skall on ‎06-28-2009 02:00 PM

Okay, I love the new permissions settings system!!! Saves lots of time for us content creators! Thank you for this one LL!