You are currently in the Blog Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Blogs can be found here.

Second Life 1.23 Viewer is Available Today! (further discussion)

by Honored Resident Jeska.Linden on ‎06-16-2009 07:32 AM

Further discussion on Second Life 1.23 Viewer. Be sure to read the blog post announcing this new release.

Please be aware that all conversations should follow the Guidelines for the Second Life Blogs.

Comments
by New Resident Tarby Tigerpaw on ‎06-19-2009 08:52 AM

Hi Joy here is what I did after installing 1.23.

Uninstalled 1.23. It tells you that you have files for sl still on PC and do you want to uninstall those.

Don't uninstall those files. I think they are your previous settings so you want to keep them.

After I uninstalled 1.23 I then installed 1.22 and I was back to normal.

Hope this helps.

by Recognized Resident Oliver Eberhart on ‎06-19-2009 08:54 AM

Linden Labs hasn't changed SL since Monday, so if 1.23 worked just fine for two days, it can't be the reason you're having problems now.  There's obviously something else going on.

by Honored Resident JoyofRLC Acker on ‎06-19-2009 09:02 AM

Good point ... except ... my friends online were ok;  theres nothing on Grid Status.

For that matter the ticket I filed hasnt been looked at (neither has one on a different matter I file yesdterday ... maybe LL has been hit by wine flu   LOL!!)

Ill wait another hour or so perhaps.

fwiw ... a number of the other reported problems with 1.23 do not seem to apply to me.   So Im guessing a lot is installation specific.   (Im NVIDIA 8700GT   Vista Ult   2.5 GHz  4 GB ram)

by Honored Resident JoyofRLC Acker on ‎06-19-2009 09:03 AM

Thanks - thats a relief.   Im going to wait another hour or so ... see following post.

by Honored Member Ciaran Laval on ‎06-19-2009 09:59 AM

What makes you think you speak for those who haven't posted on the blog?

This viewer was not ready for prime time, it has been released early and with bugs purely to fit in with the adult content schedule, that's plain to see.

They'll fix a lot of it eventually, but this situation should never have arisen.

by Honored Resident robertltux McCallen on ‎06-19-2009 10:29 AM

"  If you divide 128 by 60,000, a somewhat low approximation of the number of residents online at any given point in time, you get 0.21%.  What makes you think that the 0.21% of you raving in the blog speak for the 99.79% who haven't flamed 1.23?"

okay now you need to do some breakouts of the 60,000 people online how many are

1 actually BOTS using a bot client

2 using an older version of the client

3 using a third party client

4 using Snowglobe

quite frankly the only reason i have 1.23 installed is because its better for my system than 1.22 my "main" client is Snowglobe.

by New Resident JoeDee Yoshikawa on ‎06-19-2009 11:50 AM

Thanks, Sailor, for providing the link to archived earlier versions. 1.23 crashes while "Loading World" and old blogs just direct you to the download of the most recent release.

It would be useful, Lindens, if a link for roll-back to the previous release was provided on the download page, for those of us whol have problems with the update.

by New Resident Daaneth Kivioq on ‎06-19-2009 12:56 PM

Hello anyone out there at LL - Both of my accounts are VERIFIED, and have been for a long time, but I can't even choose to check the adult content box because it is GREYED OUT.  Im running the latest browser 123.4, and i've got nothing.  Also this verison is SIGNIFICANTLY more laggy than the last.  Please Help!

by Honored Member Ciaran Laval on ‎06-19-2009 01:24 PM

Daaneth make sure you have also gone to your general preferences and can select to access PG,Mature and Adult content, it's a dropdown setting. If you don't set this then adult will be greyed out in search.

General preferences are available from the edit menu.

by New Resident Daaneth Kivioq on ‎06-19-2009 02:28 PM

DOH!  Thanks for letting us know about that one!

by Honored Member Ciaran Laval on ‎06-19-2009 03:10 PM

To be fair, it should be made more widely known, it's a new setting, it should be publicised, it's only because I've been running this since rc0 that I know this.

by Honored Resident James Hoorenbeek on ‎06-19-2009 03:48 PM

Hooo Boy!

Here we go.  This should be entertaining.

I don't know where this censorship policy direction is coming from, but it's really horrible and unwanted by everyone I know.  I suspect it's corporate interests pushing a "clean" SL.  Either, they want an IPO, or someone is trying to buy Linden Labs and a condition of the deal is that SL must be sanitized.  On the other hand, maybe the Lindens were born again and accepted Jesus as their personal saviors.  Who knows, but it sucks.

I didn't notice these big improvements to search functionality.  I only noticed that search wouldn't return anything related to human anatomy, certain styles of clothing or anything to do with bodily functions.  Yes, I did eventually figure out that they inserted a new preference so I now have 2 or 3 ways to say "show me the smut!", but only if I'm also age verified.   What a joke.  I think they're just trying to pretty up this pig with some lipstick.  It's still a pig!

New residents aren't going to get this and are going to think SL is a very dull and sterile place.   They may log off and not come back.  We ALL know how to spot a noobie guy.  It's the one running around with no clothes on sitting on every poseball.  The first thing he wants to find is a unit.

I spent 15 years in the corporate world and I recognize what's happeing.  I've seen it.  Some high mucky muck has a hair up his or her nether regions to address a perceived "problem" at all and any cost and consequences be danged.  You can't tell these types they are wrong.  They won't hear it and you might get fired if you speak up.  The emporer is nakid!  Shhhhh.  It's people like this that made me give up my fairly high paying job to pursue other options.  I never looked back.

Hey Lindens, have you seen the news about Iran?  Well get ready.  There will be blood.

by Resident PJ Trenton on ‎06-19-2009 07:03 PM

So there appears to be a significant problem with taking snapshots to disk, particularly using the zoom function (CTRL + 0). Images that are capture to the hard drive are being cropped significantly resulting in the subjects being shot, not matching the view on the screen.

In the case of shooting photographs of avatars, this often results in the main subjects being partially (or fully) cropped out of the image.I shoot images for clients, magazines and friends and this issue will make it almost impossible to continue to offer the highest quality images that people have come to expect and require.

As a photographer in Second Life, this particular issue has a significant impact on my ability to produce the images I require in my business. If this particular problem is not resolved before the version is mandatory, this will force anyone who takes photographs to potentially be forced from undertaking this type of work.

Please fix this problem.

Thanks,

PJ

by New Resident Dwynwen Darkstone on ‎06-19-2009 07:18 PM

Well all I have to say is thank you for making me crash more than 30 times in less than an hour and miss my sl job. The Viewer is well ... (tries to think of a pg word) .... trash.

DONT DOWNLOAD IT until they really work into it and makes it a real viewer and not a tool for the new land pg, mature and adult settings.

Also a friend gave me a great link for another viewer not made by LL and well all I can say is that there are people in this universe that do know what they are doing.

by Honored Resident James Hoorenbeek on ‎06-19-2009 07:56 PM

The other 99.whatever percent haven't seen how crappy it is yet.  Just wait.

by New Resident Pepper Haas on ‎06-20-2009 02:58 AM

This has to rank as one of the worst "updates" since you all forced Voice down our throats. How bad is it? Even THIS PAGE is now slower than molasses.

Who asked you to take Friends out of the Avatar Pie menu? Who asked you to make it virtually impossible to edit an outfit what with all the changes you made, and textures STILL load objects as well as textures out of inventory?

Why didn't you fix Windlight so it stops being both too bright and too dark? Why didn't you fix group IM which has been broken eversince you started messing with Voice? Instead you make GUI changes!!! That just shows youi're too cheap to hire real programmers and only work with tech school grads who can't program so they change only menus and dropdown windows. What a waste.

I am wanting the old version back, this one is very bad, and laggy too. In fact I'd like version 15 back, the last stable SL.

by New Resident Pepper Haas on ‎06-20-2009 03:21 AM

Oliver Eberhart and other Linden-clones, please keep your useless comments off forums. People here are discussing REAL problems that Lindens REALLY did cause with this release which, like voice, is all about forcing unwanted, unnecessary changes down user's throats. The GUI changes that have been made are AWFUL and WHO ASKED THEM to change the things that worked just fine and give us unworkable crap instead?? YOU try being a clothes designer and making an outfit with the changes they've made. Or build with the edit window no longer sizeable with more/less. People have a full right to comment on this blog on these changes, that is what it is for. Useless letters like yours brownnosing the Lindens should be removed, they are nothing but spam that contributes zilch to the discussion regarding the Linden's umpteenth effort to pass off amateur cosmetic GUI changes as a better viewer.

by Honored Resident Kawyn Galaxy on ‎06-20-2009 03:39 AM

It is now unanimous , Everyone in our building school has gone back to the 1.22 viewer. This viewer is virtually impossible to use( shakes head)

No one needs a slow, unresolving, unmanageable viewer, and why? Supposedly because of this new continent. I'm going to say it. Who cares.

Thats not why most people are on Second life.

Why dont they improve the viewer for the majority who do not really care about that in the first place.MAke it fast and nimble with a high frame rate.Make it possible to alter and let builders do things more easily.

This is a bad release and should be withdrawn.

by Honored Resident xstorm Radek on ‎06-20-2009 06:53 AM

Im starting to see bug not only user side but server side?

missing textures not only slow down the user side but in some cases even crash it.

and sim is slown down trying to find the missing texture.

can there not be a timeout on texture load and let the user side viewer do the call for update.?

And there needs to be a refresh for inventory when it gets stuck in load.

or it will timeout.

by Resident Jewel Byron on ‎06-20-2009 07:07 AM

Ok first I just want to say that I love sl, and thanks to everyone who works hard on it making it the place it is for us all,I have had no problems at all with the new viewer, but alot of my friends have, and I can understand peoples frustratration on here, I am frustrated right now as I can't get on sl at all it wont let me log in, I also spend alot of real life money on sl, and would really appreciate if they fix this problem soon. thank you

by Honored Resident Gavin Ling on ‎06-20-2009 09:10 AM

Having rushed out to upgrade to this new viewer,i had nothing but grief with it problems range from

*Having to right click people 3-4 times before i get a chance to see there proifle

*Same applies to sending people i.ms right click choose send message but nothing happensmaybe 3rd time it will

*Group messages showing up although I closed them ages ago

*Random messages claiming i was not able to upload my texture yet i didint even try to upload anything!

Come on guys sort it out

p.s how do i go back to last version??

by New Resident Kayla Denver on ‎06-20-2009 09:11 AM

In downloading this 1.23 Viewer I have had NOTHING but issues I am speaking on behalf of 4 of us who are ready to quit SL all together because of this frusterating experience-I am jumping around, I cannot stop walking, and my clothes will not change...  We are so extremely dissapointed in this new viewer and if it is not fixed soon our experience will come to an end-this is not fun anymore when you cannot TP to a destination without crashing and then coming back as a cloud...  Very dissapointed in SL ATM.....  

by Honored Resident James Hoorenbeek on ‎06-20-2009 10:22 AM

What is the point of your argument?  LL screwed up big time with this release.  This is not normal.  There is some corporate style BS behind this.  It's obvious from they way they are behaving and the things they are saying.  They are running an honesty deficit. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see it.   If you want to pretend everything is rosy, go right ahead, but don't come in here and keep trying to put lipstick on this dirty pig.  It's not going to convince anyone.

There has been huge controversy and outcry based on the release candidate, and it was all for the most part ignored.  LL: "yes yes dear residents, we hear you and we're listening", i.e. STFU and go away, we are busy screwing things up.

What's the deal with closing and moving discussion after discussion.  You have to be determined just to fine the current one that's still open.  It changes practically daily.  You don't see anything wrong with all this?  Really?  You can't be serious.  I suspect you are playing devils advocate just to stir up drama or you have some other agenda because I'm not buying it.  You're not that dumb.  I hope.

by Honored Resident James Hoorenbeek on ‎06-20-2009 10:33 AM

I don't know about "every single blog forum", but this discussion is valid.  The latest release is horrible in many ways and the Lindens knew it and chose to call it done anyway.   Something fishy is going on.  If you don't care about quality and think everyone that complains is just whining, then why don't YOU leave this forum and stop making annoying off topic posts.

by Honored Resident Bumble Parx on ‎06-20-2009 11:11 AM

First application (and version) to cause my Mac to completely freeze - had to force shutdown abd restart to recover.

Problems experienced: very slow rendering/bad lag, sound would distort after 15 mins, would often get the freeze wheel, even from just scrolling through inventory (<8K items). All occurred every time it was used.

Downgraded to last 1.22 client (via the oldversions link posted here - thank you!) and back to normal. Quick rendering, sound still fine after over an hour of logged in, no sign of the freeze wheel and no crashes yet...

by Honored Resident James Hoorenbeek on ‎06-20-2009 11:45 AM

Was it not hilarious that the Lindens were using "AO" for the longest time to abbreviate Adult Oriented?  On the official wiki, AO is under Animation Override, where it belongs, because all the residents have been using it that way for years.

To me that spells clueless.  Just another example of how out of touch they have become lately with "reality".

by Honored Resident James Hoorenbeek on ‎06-20-2009 12:04 PM

This is what they were aiming for?  OMG!

I don't know whether to laugh for cry.

Wow!

by Honored Resident James Hoorenbeek on ‎06-20-2009 12:07 PM

Whuh?

by Honored Resident James Hoorenbeek on ‎06-20-2009 12:12 PM

What is your point?  The other people haven't seen it yet.  Your math and your logic are meaningless to me.

by Honored Resident James Hoorenbeek on ‎06-20-2009 12:22 PM

Last night I went to a club and noticed half the crowd (maybe 15 of 30) were using the Greenlife Emerald viewer, including me.

When you use Emerald you can see anyone around you also using it because their name turns green.

SL is going green!  Yeah!!

I highly recommend the Emerald viewer as an alternative to the LL official client.  What I don't know, is how much of the contaminated code stream from LL will find it's way into future Emerald releases.  I just don't know how that process works, but I would love to find out.

Besides being nice and stable, Emerald incorporates many features found in various HUDs right in the interface.  Avatar radar, with many useful features, stop animations, ground sit, phantom/non physical mode and free temporary uploads - a huge boon for anyone who designs textures or edit sounds, etc.  You don't have to pay the $10L until you are satisfied that you have the final version.  If you're not a designer, I don't want to hear about how little $10L is, because you have no idea how many iterations can add up.  There are some other little things and some I'm no doubt forgetting.  One other nice detail is that the editor gives you more decimal places for very precise alignment and sizing.

This is just one of many many viewers available that are NOT under the control of LL.  The SL wiki lists 15 of them.  Some of them allow you to connect to other grids. There may be another viewer that works better for you.  Yesterday I discovered that there is a team of programmers working on an opensource viewer project called Snowglobe, headed by Phillip Linden!!  Now why do you suppose the former CEO of Linden labs would be doing this?  Kinda makes you go hmmmm, don't it?

When I first heard about the supremely boneheaded things they were up to with this release, I threatened to start a "green revolution".  Well the Linden's are clearly not listening to anyone, so I think the time has come.  I would love to see the look on their faces when they realize that NOBODY is downloading their viewer anymore.

Spread the word!

I have another T-shirt to make.

You can get my free censorship protest T-shirt on xstreet, but it has a bad word on it so I had to make it "mature".  That means several extra clicks to find it - if it were easy, I guess people might accidentally see something that offends them and die of heart failure while shopping online.  Well in defense of LL, this is about the same as before they bought Xstreet and started mucking with it.

by Recognized Resident Delazouch Ashby on ‎06-20-2009 12:24 PM

I have just downloaded the new viewer today.

It crashes everytime. I can't get onto Second Life until I install another viewer now.

Update: Just downloaded the Emerald Viewer - very good, works fine, no crashing. Think I'll stick with that until Linden Labs get things sorted.

by Honored Resident James Hoorenbeek on ‎06-20-2009 12:37 PM

OMG.. I just had another thought.  Imagine that - 2 in one day no less.  LOL

So, here's the thing.  I've seen this before.  It's what happens when you assign a team of people to complete a job that they all believe is incredibly stupid and wrong (or threatens their job), and refuse to listen to their opinions.

THEY MESS IT UP BIG TIME!!!

Aaaaaahahahahhaha

Message was edited by: James Hoorenbeek

by Recognized Resident aziyade Eberhardt on ‎06-20-2009 02:56 PM

The viewer is horrible, dreadful details have appeared in the landscapes I see, half the avs around me are gray, my hair has become transparent, everything is laggy, my clothes aren't rezzing , ahlf my inventory is unfindable , any tp sends me right through  the destination, my local chat and IMs are delayed for long stretches, ----this viewer is terrible. What is going on?

by Honored Resident James Hoorenbeek on ‎06-20-2009 03:04 PM

Why can only Lindens have a picture on here?

by New Resident Tila Shilova on ‎06-20-2009 03:25 PM

MY GOD.

To begin there : System Error

We're sorry but a serious error has occurred in the system.

ROFL.

AND IT'S REALLY CLEVER TO DO AN UPDATE THE WEEKEND !!!!!

I hope you will refund every seller !

It's totally the mess, with Xstreet and Second Life !

Shame on u.

I haven't download this update, because everybody meet many problems with it.

Why u don't test your update before to send that ?????????   

Linden Lab Staff are really not serious rofl

by Recognized Resident PULSE666 Fang on ‎06-20-2009 04:08 PM

Why does it seem that........the new 1.23 update is making me lag harder, worser, slower, and weaker?

Seems like some Lindens need to look into the new problems of the 1.23 update!

by New Resident Cat Petrolhead on ‎06-20-2009 10:03 PM

This viewer is crap. Wish I'd never upgraded, I now have lag far worse than ever before. Don't know what they've done but it is a huge step backwards.

by Recognized Resident aziyade Eberhardt on ‎06-20-2009 10:12 PM

I switched to the emerald viewer and it's much better. I really think Linden Labs shot themsleves in the foot with 1.23

by Advisor Medhue Simoni on ‎06-20-2009 10:51 PM

To be honest, I have not downloaded it and I will not unless im forced to. I have used the last RC, and its a mess. You know I was just thinking last week that I'm just too hard on LL. I thought, hey just give them some time. They'll work the bugs out. Oh my god, you just frickin released that junk! What was the rush? Did you even consider the consequences? I mean come on now, if a newbie downloads it, and it doesn't work, its not easy to convert back. You coulda just released a new RC. I knew better then to just download it. The last Official viewer is the only 1 that i could use and get somewhat consistant responses from. Why would i write over the working 1 before it is even close to being ready for the public. For christ sakes, did you even use the search at all. You know that place where you put the pg,mature, adult options. I still see sex all over the place with only pg checked, and yet you still release this. Was this not the point of the release, and even that part doesn't work.

by Recognized Resident Delazouch Ashby on ‎06-21-2009 01:13 AM

Now after using Emerald Viewer I wish I'd been using it for the past few months. I've been getting a lot of lag and thinking it was my internet connection. Since I've stopped using the RC 1.22 and started using Emerald Viewer all of a sudden I can walk around easily and the lag is almost gone! I can't believe I'd been getting so frustrated paying about $150 (£70) a month for a not even posh 3D modelling package that doesn't actually work at all some times and some storage space (which is relatively cheap to buy) on some servers which much of the time I can't even access. I'm obviously incredibly stupid. I just enjoy creating things but what's the point when it's such a slow process due to the client and network that you can't fully enjoy it.

Second Life is a lonely affair...

by Recognized Resident Delazouch Ashby on ‎06-21-2009 02:06 AM

Oh dear. Just been to Ahern and had a chat with a few people about both the Emerald Viewer and the new 1.23 RC.

This is someone's opinion and is hearsay as such but it's worrying.

I've been told that there may be a criminal gang behind the Emerald Viewer who are capturing details of users. Although, I'm not sure what they are going to do with the knowledge that I occassionally enjoy a nice fondue and have eaten roadkill.

I've also been told that the reason why the new viewer crashes is probably down to:

" the new GL standards and multi threading usage"

Apparently my sound card isn't good enough for the new viewer.

To make things worse there's a perception that Linden Labs have ripped off someone else's work on this and not credited them. Apparently some of the new coding has been ripped off from KirstenLee Cinquetti's viewer and SL have not even thanked him for it. This is just hearsay though, could be sour grapes but I see not logic behind that or rationale.

I hope this isn't true, otherwise I feel a boycott coming on. Consumer power. I could be out buying records instead, maybe if Linden Labs ban me they'd be doing me a favour.

by Honored Resident James Hoorenbeek on ‎06-21-2009 08:28 AM

I'm more worried about the FBI than I am about the open source developers of Emerald.  I KNOW the government is spying on me.  They told us they are to "keep us safe" from terrir.  As far as I know they never stopped the massive wiretap and data banking of everything happening on the internets.

I feel bad for anyone whose work might have been used without credit, but I'm not planning to install 1.23 anytime soon, so at least I'm not participating.

A boycott of SL wouldn't last very long.  Too many people have too much invested and are just plain addicted.

What we can do is boycott their awful viewer unless they fix it.  It's painless and you'll probably have a better experience in SL with Emerald or one of the other viewers.

by Recognized Resident Delazouch Ashby on ‎06-21-2009 09:59 AM

What? The FBI are spying on my cheese buying habits?!

by Linden on ‎06-22-2009 06:05 AM

I may not be the smartest tech person in SL,, but am not stupit lol... but i want to ask,, do i use ALL this options? do i use  one of them? Its to confusing.And also i dont know what kaywords i can use,, i got no idea now if i do my ads and marketing right..What words are  banned in Mature and PG and what words are not at Linden Lab? I seen a list or words i trye to not use them in my PG/Mature islands.

If it's a private region, you can use any of the About Land settings.

If your regions are set to Mature and you attempt to use Adult keywords a prompt will inform you of the word.

I use one of my islands as " test Island" for adult items and words, i also use it for my members and visitors so thay can test if thay are age verified or not cuz a lot of ppl are so confused if thay are age verified or  not.

Over the last 5 days after i set one island as adult the traffick and the sales  there dropped 70% So i want to ask Linden Lab,,, you told me that this new Adult rules and the new 1.23 was going to  "  Help  me get better sales" in my adult items..i wil give  The Adult isle i ser 2 weeks.. if its not gotten better i want Linden Lab to " Help me get better sales" as  thay promice. Wil you do that Linden Lab?

A majority of SL users are already account verified. Residents can also check by visiting ZIndra. If you are allowed access to the adult continent, then your account is verified.

Also.i sen ..i read and i talk with a lot of ppl that now are going back to the old 1.22 cuz the 1.23 dont work for them.

If all go back to the 1.22 thay wil not be able to find my Adult Island,, right?

Adult content will still be accessible for a limited time using 1.22. However, Residents will be required to upgrade to 1.23 after a grace period of about 2 months.

by Recognized Resident Delazouch Ashby on ‎06-22-2009 06:29 AM

"Adult content will still be accessible for a limited time using 1.22. However, Residents will be required to upgrade to 1.23 after a grace period of about 2 months."

Looks like I'm fu... I mean scr... done for then.

Actually, what am I talking about, I don't actually like most adult content on SL (I have nothing against por... 'adult activites'?) it's been spoiling SL for me because it's extremely tacky although mildy amusing but then some people like shoving fruit in places where fruit shouldn't normally go, if people want to do that, fine, not for me. I'll stick to my cheese (or my cheese will stick to me.)

Sorry, as you were.

Edit: Oh hang on, does this mean I only have 2 months left to be able to access Second Life because old viewers won't work?

This is an important question as I need to know whether to sell my land now or not, otherwise I won't be able to sell it if I can't access Second Life because I can't find a viewer that doesn't crash?

by Honored Resident robertltux McCallen on ‎06-22-2009 06:50 AM

"This is an important question as I need to know whether to sell my land now or not, otherwise I won't be able to sell it if I can't access Second Life because I can't find a viewer that doesn't crash?"

unless LindenLabs does something at the server level to break pre 1.23 viewers you should be able to use any of the alternate viewers to get online (personally i would go for Meerkat since it is speed tuned). Also have you tried Snowglobe??

by New Resident Kristianna Svenska on ‎06-22-2009 08:39 AM

I downloaded the 1.23 and everytime I load it my PC crashes. After fiddling around for the last 3 days it simply appears that my fairly new PC won't be able to cope with this version. I don't have paying membership although I, like many others do pay every month to rent land. My tiers expired less than 24 hrs ago and I just had an email to advise I have been kicked off "my" land and all my belongings have been sent back to me (I have doubts if they will all make it to my inventory though!)

The more people this happen too, the more knock on affect it will have at the top. The people who purchased my land off Linden still have to people like me (non-members) to rent it to. I thought SL was trying to promote itself to new members, not get rid of the ones it already has!

I have now discovered as well as an extra insult, as a non-member, my "ticket" won't even be looked at. It seems my regular $40 ish US dollars a month exhanged and spent on rent etc are not good enough unless they are via direct debit straight to Linden.

Someone mentioned previously being able to "downgrade" to the previous viewer, would someone be kind enough to post the link for this please? I will at least be able to log on and bid all my SL friends farewell, close my group down and delete by profile before the new viewer is forced on us all rendering SL impossible to access for quite a few of it's residents. I'm only glad that I never did become a "proper" member.

by New Resident Kyder Ling on ‎06-22-2009 08:50 AM

Hi there everyone. I saw this bit in the notes.

"Added: Add per-pixel lighting and real-time shadows to the viewer (Experimental)"

Anyone have any idea on how to turn this feature on? It is turned off by default and I have an nvidia 280GTX which handles the game fairly well.

Just was wondering as to how it would look with said features. Also, when I click "Run in multiple threads" that is for quad or dual core machines right? I have enabled it and it seemed my cores have smoothed out. Before my Core1 processor was just running really nice and full.

by Honored Resident James Hoorenbeek on ‎06-22-2009 09:29 AM

If you don't like adult content, that's fine, the problem is that the filter (censor) is not very smart.  Many many words for example have more than one meaning, one sexual and one or more completely innocent.  The brain damaged search doesn't know the difference.  Good luck finding a female pooch or someone named Richard who goes by a nickname. You want something that grabs and takes an object quickly, starts with "S" and rhymes with match?  Forget it.  Vendors who sell the smut that most people want (at least some of the time whether they admit it or not), are going to have a heck of a time being found in search.  It WILL hurt business. Everyone is going to resort to that annoying intentional misspelling you see in spam to avoid the spam filters.  It's going to get really stupid and silly.

Anyway, another fundamental problem is that it is impossible to define things like obscene or objectionable because it's all completely subjective.  I find a cadaver museum  obscene, but some people are into it and pay money to go see cut up laminated corpses.   What is that, PG, mature or adult?  Ask 3 people and you might get 3 different answers.

I predict that a lot of new residents aren't going to be willing or able navigate all the multiple redundant unnecessary superfluous steps to turn on the dirty search words.  They are going to think SL is no fun, and everyone is built like ken and barbie.  They will leave and not come back.  Might as well outlaw genitals and see how that goes over.  LOL  The effect and the response will be similar for this search garbage. The whole endeavor is logic impaired and that, I believe, is why the development team made a complete mess of it.  Plus they were no doubt given an unrealistic deadline instead of being asked how long it would take. They know this is terrible for SL and since they care about SL, they don't want it to succeed.  Because the very people responsible for making it work, don't want it to work, well it's no surprise to me that it's the worst release I've ever seen.  If intelligence prevails (not likely apparently), this release will have to be withdrawn.  If the pointy haired manager pushing the abomination forces a mandatory upgrade to this POS release, I predict that he or she will soon after "leave the company to pursue other options".  I've seen it.  Some things never change.

Don't let the door hitcha!

by Honored Resident James Hoorenbeek on ‎06-22-2009 09:32 AM

PG?  Really?  You know what that means right LL?  There aren't supposed to be minors on the grid and who exactly are the parents?  I know I take things literally, but really, you need to stop and THINK!  It's one boneheaded (is that dirty?) choice after another lately.  What is up with that?