why is my avatar suddenly sliding across the screen?

Tanya4923

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3501 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm walking along minding my own business, when I suddenly start sliding, sometimes in a different direction from where I was headed. What is going on? How do I correct it?

Update 8/27/14: I'm using a ethernet cable and not a wireless router. The sliding may take a little while but does eventually end. It can happen even if I'm in an empty room. It appears to be a by-product of using an AO in a busy environment and when I disable the AO my movement returns to normal. -Tanya

3 answers to this question

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Tanya4923

That sounds like a case of lag, possibly due to your connection. Are you in a busy place when this happens, or does it happen wherever you go?  Do you find that eventually your avatar stops and goes where you want it to, or do you get forced to relog?

Are you on wireless? If so, try not to be.

• Like 1

Marigold is probably right.  But it's also possible that someone is using a gadget to push you.  Go to the Help menu and enable the "Bumps, Pushes and Hits" feature.  Next time you start sliding, see if someone just bumped you.  If so, right click any handy object and sit on it, then you cannot be pushed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3501 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.