why can't I sail between two parcels?

Pabs Manx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I own two adjacent seafront parcels but with different accounts and have made a waterway in front of them both but when I try to sail from one to the other my sailboat cannot traverse the parcel line unless I edit and move it across. Is there a reason for this since I have had a similar situation before but without this problem.

1 answer to this question

If you own the parcels with separate accounts, then each parcel has permissions that assume a different person is the owner.  Take a look at World >>> About Land >>> Options.  If you have UNchecked the box that allows anybody to bring objects into a parcel, then only the owner may do it.  You could spolve the problem quickly, then, by checking that box in both parcels.

A better solution, however, would be to either sell both parcels to the same owner or to create a group and donate the parcels to that group.  Then go back into About Land and either return the setting on that box to Owner only or, if you have created a group, to Group only.  There are a couple of advantages to having a group involved.  First, a group can be handy for many other purposes (for setting access to buildings, for sharing modify perms so that you can move and alter your stuff with either account .... ).  Second, the group can own a total amount of land whose area equals 110% or less of the sum of all group contributions. That means a group gets a 10% bonus in the land area that it can own with the tier contributions of its members alone.

32px-KBtip.png Tip: The Land Use Fees calculator shows your current fees and has the option to calculate your estimated fees for square meters owned or donated to group.

This can be a little hard to understand and it gets even more complicated if you are considering land in private estates rather than on the Mainland.  If you are interested, I suggest that yiou start by reading http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Group-owned-land/ta-p/700079

I also suggest taking Lindal Kidd's free Friday evening class in land ownership and management, offered each Friday at Caledon Oxbridge University in world, at 5:00 SLT.

One final thought:  If you create  group, your alt is an EXCELLENT co-owner -- probably the only person you can trust with that position.  It keeps the group completely under your personal control.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.