game crashes at 'initializing VFS', found prev. threads with answers but link wont work

elizabethwerben

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4031 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I cant start the game on my laptop computer. Whenever I open the program, it loads up to the 'intializing VFS' message and then freezes and crashes. I noticed other threads that answered this question with a link, but the link isn't working for me (it says that the page no longer exists on the SL site). Need SL for studies so would appreciate any answers asap.

6 answers to this question

Try deleting the Second Life Folder in AppData and then restart  your computer then Second Life.

Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\SecondLifeWindows Vista - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SecondLifeWindows Vista Home Premium - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SecondLifeWindows 7 - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife 

Nyll

• PS. If you can't see AppData:

Enable Hidden Files & Folders:

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Open “Folder Options”
  3. Open the “View” tab
  4. Check “Show hidden files, folders, and drives”

Press ok and close control panel

My issue was not really the same as yours but Suella's link fixed my logging in issue. Kudos to Suella. Now, I have to post it in all my other threads that i commented on.

This was the fix for me tho.

Just Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Roaming and Delete the Secondlife folder.

I'm having this problem and have tried removing the data files and still locks up, it was working just fine about 4 weeks ago and took some time off and now no viwer will work they all do the same thng. anyone ave any other ideas, nothing was added to my computer in that time so i'm at a loss.

Tal!  This problem has nothing to do with Second Life.  It has everything to do with your graphics driver.  You should follow  SL protocol and delete two folders before doing the following.  Using Windows Explorer, move to your user name, AppData, Local and delete the Second Life folder.  Then move to AppData, Roaming, and delete the Second Life folder.  (This will erase all your logs.  If you wish to save them, you can just rename the Local Second Life folder and move them back later when all is working to the newly created AppData, Local, Second Life folder.)  Reboot and try SL Viewer.

If that doesn't work, then this will.  By way of explanation, something has corrupted your graphics driver.  Solution:  The easiest for Windows is to go to your Control Panel, System, Device Manager, and then find your Display Adapters.  Note down the name of your adapter.  Click update.  Try SL again.  If not, then go to your Control Panel, System, Device Manager, and then find your Display Adapter again, and uninstall it (don't worry).  Then reboot the computer.  It will reinstall it automatically upon your re-boot.  If that doesn't work, then you will need to go to your display adapter manufactor's webpage and download the most current driver.  When that is installed, it will work :)

I'm having the same problem. I've spent the last 3 hrs trying to fix this. Gone through every step it says to do here and on other sites i've found. Still wont work. I downloaded firestorm and that works fine but it sucks I hate the controls and the audio cuts in and out so I cant hear anything. This is so stupid why dosnt linden fix this?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4031 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.