Whenever I teleport to a region where people are wearing mesh hair or clothes, I crash.

Carl Ogura

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3449 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have a stubborn dilemma that I seem unable to resolve. Within the last three weeks, I have not been able to teleport to a region where avatars are wearing either mesh hair or clothing. Mesh objects seem okay. My screen freezes and I have to force quit the viewer. I'm using Singularity's most recent viewer and using a 2010 Macbook Pro. The only changes I have made is to go from one IP to a cable one. Any suggestions? As a long time user of SL, I have never had this problem before. (The Singularity is a clean install and just for experimental tryout I DL'd the most recent Firestorm viewer with the same exact results.) I changed my DNS to the 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 also to no avail.

2 answers to this question

Hi Carl,

A MacBook Pro of that vintage will struggle to keep up on a crowded sim. I've been reading that mesh hair and clothing designers often create terribly inefficient products. This may be because land impact (LI) doesn't matter for worn items. So designers can create prim hair like mine with 250 sculpties, or mesh hair with a bazillion polygons. Hair like that can send the Avatar Rendering Cost (ARC) to the moon, resulting in an overload of your graphics processor (GPU).

If you are suffering a case of GPU overload, you will hear your laptop fans spool up before the crash as Mac OS tries to keep things cool. When that's not enough, it'll start throttling the GPU clock to reduce power dissipation. SL is finicky about that, and if the clock is thottled enough, it'll crash.

If you are hearing the fans spin up when you encounter meshed people, go to Preferences->Graphics and reduce the "Maximum number of non-imposter avatars". Avatar imposters are 2D cardboard cutouts that replace the full 3D avatar. They are updated once a second or two, saving a considerable amount of work for the GPU. They don't look as nice, but they're better than crashing.

Good luck!

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3449 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.