Second_Life_3_7_20_296094_i686_Setup, is anyone else having an issue with this like me?

AlucardsSisterCrystal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I never let the system install updates.  Something can get corrupted.  It's much better to do a clean install, and here are the instructions on how to do it:http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life/ta-p/1375231

EDIT:  @Wycked Vella:  The failure to initialize VFS is generally due to a corrupt download of the installer file.  Delete that file from your downloads and re-download a fresh copy.  Then do a clean install.

SECOND EDIT:  A number of people are reporting this problem.  You should do two things:

1.  File a JIRA bug report.  Include as much detail as you can about your system and the error messages you are getting.

2.  Delete your installation and either re-install a previous version (you did save your prior downloads, right?  They should be in your Downloads folder) or install one of the many fine third party viewers.

The viewer will not insist you install the update if you select "download and install updates manually" in your Preferences.

• Like 1

I am having the same issue been trying to fix this for hours, ive run updates on windows 7, uninstalled and installed multiple times, even done the clean install removing the app data and cache every way possible. Still acts like its loading gets to vfs and then nothing. Ive several that have had this problem on different posts but nothing seems to be working. Hope something is done to fix this problem soon i need my fix as well.

I tried that fresh install, fresh download, still same thing it doesnt error juts doesnt open.

• Like 2

A basic troubleshooting step is to try another viewer before you start ripping things apart and doing clean installs. Most third party viewers now install using their own cache and settings file, so you do not have to uninstall other viewers. If another viewer works, then it for sure is a viewer problem.

If a second viewer fails, then it is not a viewer issue... probably a driver issue.

Remote disks, like cloud storage can cause problems. You may have to uninstall it to see if it is the problem. You can Google to see if your cloud drive can be disabled without installing.

Yeah i exhausted everything i could to get this viewer to work, no luck. I finally gave in and dled firstorm which btw is a total difference than regular viewer, but either way it worked fine. So something is up with this new one and i wish sombody would really look into it a bit more.

• Like 1

Having the same problem here too. After VFS...... nothing!. I hope this will be resolve soon.

Edit:

Yayyyyyyy!!!! I am now signed in. I went to my Downlaod, and saw all my Second LIfe set up 3.7.18 - 3.7.20

I clicked and installed my latest 3.7.19 and it worked!!!!!!!!  yayyyyy

See if you can use either of the beta viewers or the Snowstorm project viewer from this page:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers

The release viewer has new code in it that changes the way graphics cards are detected but those beta viewers don't have it yet (as of this morning.) The new code may be causing problems with your setup.

Please add your comments to this JIRA:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-7776

I have the same problem. Something seems to be corrupted.

I'm not sure whether the viewer is corrupted. Could also be the installer widget, as it normally asked me whether I want to run SL after installing and such.

It didn't do that this time. It just started until VFS, then quit.

Clean reinstalls, new downloads etc. all don't help. Only chances are to forget SL completely until the viewer update is fixed, or to run it on a thrid party viewer at least for the time being.

For what it's worth, I'm on a Win 7 system, and:

I accepted the update from 3.7.19.295700 (HTTP pipelining release viewer) to 3.7.20.295094 (Benchmarking viewer, current release viewer).

Following install, viewer stalled on initiating VFS. I deleted my cache (default: C:\Users\[user name]AppData\Local\SecondLife)

On restarting 3.7.20.295094, it fired-up correctly & I have successfully logged-in numerous times.

FWIW, I've actually encountered Firestorm falling over when initialising VFS on a "dirty" install and have always found that deleting cache solves the problem for me with that viewer as well. It can also sometimes be resolved by clearing-out settings in C:\Users\[user name]AppData\Roaming\SecondLife - see here.

I appreciate some people are reporting "clean" installs are failing to resolve the issue, but - and without wihing to teach anyone how to suck eggs - are those trying a clean install also manually deleting cache in addition to running the deinstaller?

Ran into the same problem with latest viewer.  Had to go back to an old Second Life_3_7_16_294015_i686_Setup that I had. That version seems to be running just fine outside of a self made gitch with the water settings that happened due to me adjusting Debug settings in my viewer at the time. I no longer get reflections in SL water the way I used to with basic shaders enabled. 

Stats for my old laptop computer to help the search.

Dell Model Inspiron INSP1440

Processors are Pentium ® Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz 

64- bit Operating System.

Display adapters is a  Mobile Intel® 4 sSeries Express Chipset Family

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.