Problem with Radeon X1300/X1550 Series

Mik3 Actor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5162 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

secondlifeerror.JPG

When I try to launch Second Life I get this error, I am running on a Dell Dimension 9200, Windows 7 32-bit Professional, Radeon X1300/X1550 Series video card. Does anyone have a solution to my problem, I already tried updating and reinstalling the drivers. I have minimal experience with Second Life but I wanted to give it a try. Thanks in advance.

13 answers to this question

I went the the ATI site to look at the drivers and I noticed that they do not have a Windows 7 version of the driver for this card.  Only Windows Vista.  Seemed odd, but I suppose you could try running the SL viewer in Windows Vista compatibility mode.  Right click on the shortcut, choose properties and then Compatibility.

--Cinn

• Like 1

Hi Mik3

As a fellow ATI user I see this all the time.  Either you have a corrupt registry which can be fixed with a registry editor tool or you just need to reboot Windows and let the driver reinitialize.  Try the latter first.  Your ATI is probably newer so you might get past the Custom Graphics Setting fix for ATI cards but just in case, be aware to select Custom in the Graphics tab of Preferences then select Hardware Settings and uncheck the in front of Vertex Buffer Objects.  But that is not the reason you see this message.  That is only necessary if your screen goes haywire when you can actually load Second Life.  Don't be surprised if every now and then you crash and see this message again.  And always reboot your computer to see if it goes away.

RED13

Errr, well I can't get to the login screen because I get that error when trying to start second life however from my video card properties it says as follows:

Driver Provider: ATI Technologies Inc.

Driver Date: 24/04/2009

Driver Version: 8.56.1.15

Driver Signer: Microsoft Windows

I also have an ATI card and am running windows 7, however I don't have any of the ATI driver software installed. Try uninstalling the Catylist software bundle from your system and doing a reboot, Windows 7 will then search for and install a semi generic drivre for your card. This may sound like bs but my computer is running 50x better with the generic driver then it did with the actual ATI drivers.

The generic driver that Windows 7 installs is version 8.632.1.2000

ATI is a pain in the butt. I have 1 ATI card left out of 3 and the 1 left is only for back up the other 2 didn't fry out totally but fried.  I decided to go with Nvidia this time around, and I am impressed I fly through SL flawlessly. OK you have a driver problem with your ATI card, and rolling it back may help you to atleast enter SL. The catalyst suite and certain catalyst issue drivers really mess with SL. You just have to experiment until you find a good combination. Remember when you change any drivers for your ATI card, use the catalyst unistall associated with the catalyst suite. If it does not come up when you click on the catalyst, you must go in to your add and remove programs and manually unistall all things that say ATI If after this reboot your computer, if the monitor goes wackoo, it changes resoulution and size, the computer reverts to a default bga back up setting, this is a good thing because it means the ATI stuff is off your computer, and you can lay some different drivers down. If on reboot your monitor appears the same, all ATI stuff is not off your computer and you must clean the registiry. If you lay ATI drivers upon ATI drivers you are really going to get some problems because they ternd to become as one, and your card is going to start doing some really goofy things..

And this is where it gets to be really different, I did the catalyst upgrade to 10,1 or whatever it was rolled it back to the 9.13 I rolled it back through all I could think of, but I looked at the original driver disc I had for the card it was 7.135 something you could not get from even the ATI site, for some reason I cleaned the drivers off my computer of the catalyst divers I obtained from the ATI site stuck in the original cd that came with the card downloaded them, and SL took off. I mean who is to figure?? I guess bigger is not always better. Ha, ha. Good luck dude, hope you got a little insight on ATI. Soon you will ask yourself.....Is SL really worth it?? I know I did.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5162 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.