Omega separate face editable items

Jerilynn Lemon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm hoping someone can give me an assist in this matter.

It involves adding a name or insignia to a combat uniform (Combat Uniforms and/or Boots, 2012 Edition).

The manual describes that an edit can be done and provides the template and base layers via a zip file. I d/l'ed the file, but when I try to add a personal touch, it seems to affect more area than what I'm attempting to modify (name tag affects both the Omega name on the right breast and the name "tag" on the left). When I tried to do some simple editing, the Omega side goes grey and the name side shows as stretched and abnormally large.

I tried picking "select face" on edit and also tried "edit link" to show which side I am trying to fix, but both seem to have no effect on which side I'm trying to name.

omega combat jacket_001.jpg

It appears to involve something more than a simple edit and I'm trusting someone here has done the type edit required and is familiar with a step-by-step explanation.

Update:

Ok Ms Kidd, I can see where you are coming from. I didn't allow the mesh make up to enter my mind (went far over my head!!!) when I made the original post and was trying "select face" and "edit link", thinking it being a simple edit. Mesh is a whole new animal to me, as far as editing is concerned.

Obviously, a crash course in working with mesh is required on my part.

Perhaps someone can point me to a a YouTube or "Mesh for dummies...". thing?

2 answers to this question

It's impossible to do more than guess, since any mesh outfit has a unique UV map and the creator will have assigned faces in his/her own way.  My guess is that you simply haven't adjusted the horizontal scale factor and offset properly yet.  Try using a scale factor of 2.0 and see what it looks like.

BTW, you can save yourself a lot of trouble (and a little L$) by testing something like this with local textures instead of paying to upload textures permanently. 

You say you downloaded the UV map file, but you also say you tried "select face."  Which makes me ask, just how are you going about editing this?

"Select face" is a command in the Second Life edit window.  You do NOT use this tool to edit a UV texture.  The SL texture editor is pretty useless for editing textures on sculpties or mesh objects, it should only be used for texturing classic prims.

You have to edit the texture in an external, bitmap editing program like Photoshop or GIMP.  Load the file into your program of choice, find the layer the nametag is on, edit it, and save it as a new file, then follow the maker's instructions on how to upload and apply it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.