Initializing VFS, Gathering Information, App may appear frozen

Cynara Cortes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've been a Second Life player for years, and I don't understand why my SL suddenly stopped working. I used Phoenix Viewer once but it stopped working, as well as the Second Life Viewer 2.

I deleted the AppData folders in Roaming and Local. I followed these instructions:

Enable Hidden Files & Folders:

1) Open Control Panel
2) Open “Folder Options”
3) Open the “View” tab
4) Check “Show hidden files, folders, and drives”

Press OK and close control panel.

Accessing AppData:

Browse to the path below that corresponds to your operating system:

Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\

Windows Vista - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\

Windows Vista Home Premium - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\

Windows 7 - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\ 

Inside the AppData folder:

1) Open the Local folder and delete the entire Second Life folder.

2) Go back one level to the AppData folder.

3) Open the Roaming folder and delete the entire Second Life folder.

4) Restart your computer. This is importantDo not try starting Second Life again until you have rebooted.

Once you have rebooted, Second Life should run properly.

---

But it still does not run at all.  I downloaded other viewers like Singularity, Firestorm and even the Second Life Release viewer, but they don't work too. I deleted every SL folder and viewer folders and did a reinstall, but so far nothing worked.

Could anyone please help me? :(

EDIT: When I click SL Viewer 2 icon, it says, "Iniitalizing VFS" then the crash logger appears, "Gathering Information, App may Appear Frozen..." then it closes. I can't go to the login page. As I have included, other viewers don't work either: Phoenix, Firestorm, and Singularity.  I also tried installing earlier SL Viewer versions, but it did not work as well. Thank you.

EDIT 2: I have included the instructions that Suella's link provided, so this does not work for me. Thank you.

3 answers to this question

The instructions on the Phoenix wiki are subtlely different, although they should have the same effect >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=fs_install_crash .  Notice the separate instructions for wiping all settings. In theory, what you have tried already should have done that too, but it couldn't hurt to try again.

As a separate and totally wild thought, take a look at this thread >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Viewer-2-0-General/Stuck-on-Initialising-VFS-error/td-p/422257 .  Maybe there's a clue there that you can use.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.