I just updated my graphics card and now it won't run Second Life. Help?

SweetArashi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4164 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have an AMD M860G graphics card with ATI Radeon 4100 Mobility.

I was able to run it fine last night, but after updating my graphics card.... well it gives me this "Firestorm [and V3, I checked that one too] is unable to run because your video cards did not install properly, are out of date or are for unsupported software. Please make sure you have the latest video cards drivers and even if you do have the latest, try reinstalling them. " error. I do not like to mess around with my graphics card and I'm not too computer literate. So please help?

I did see something on the wiki with regards to this, but it did not say anything about AMD graphics cards.

3 answers to this question

Updating a graphics driver can be "tricky" but not really scary or difficult.  You just need to do it properly.  Most people don't update their drivers correctly by simply finding they need or want a driver update then go to where ever it is they found that has the driver and click on the driver........and if they get a choice to save the driver or run the installation (which Windows usually gives you in a pop-up) they choose the "Run".  To be honest, that works most of the time but it's fire trap for potential problems and you should never update any driver (printer, audio or any other driver) using the "Run" from a website.  AMD has a set of 4 short video tutorials that discribe exactly how to properly update your graphics drivers.  You should watch them (more than once if you aren't completely sure you understand) before updating your driver.  Those video tuts are at the bottom of the driver download page for AMD.

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

I what a suggest you do is to download your driver again and go through the process discribed in the tutorials to reinstall the driver.  Don't skip any steps.  Hopefully that will fix your problem.  Make sure you are getting the correct driver for you computer.  There is one more catch.  You are using a laptop and a lot of laptops require specialized (custom) drivers specific to the make and model of the laptop the video card is installed in..........the best place to get those drivers is at the manufacturers website and not AMD/ATI.  But you still need to follow the directions in the tutorials I linked to.

Hi Sweet.

Peggy is absolutely right. You may have installed an incorrect driver. Please refer to the links below to obtain the correct driver for your card.

For laptops, you may need to download an updated driver from the notebook manufacturer's website, depending on the card. For AMD Mobility cards in laptops, refer to the links on this page http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-28041SupportforATIMobility.aspx

AMD does supply generic Mobility drivers for laptops with some restrictions and warnings. Refer http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

To add to the other great answers, what has probably happened is that the new driver is not installed, and Windows is using the "generic" driver instead.  You can check this in Control Panel/System/Devices.

Go to the web page for AMD/ATI, read the directions for installing/updating your driver, and follow them exactly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4164 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.