I haven't been able to log on?

Olivia Saphir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

For the past week I have not been able to log onto any of my Second Life accounts from my laptop. I know for a fact that there isn't a problem with my Second Life accounts because I can log in on my desktop computer (but my desktop computer doesn't support SL graphics). For a few days I thought that there was a problem with my wifi but I don't have a hard time going to web sites. I even switched wifis to see if it would help and it didn't. I have also un-installed and re-installed both Firestorm and SL Viewer without success on either. 

This is the message that I get when I log in: "Login failed. Despite our best efforts, something unexpected has gone wrong."

I am questioning if Norton is somehow stopping me from logging in but Norton is not letting me disable my firewall to find out. Before this happened I got a message from Norton asking me if I wanted to allow the Second Life Voice to continue and I allowed it to continue. Now I don't know what to do or what the problem is. Norton may not even be to blame.

I have to pay my SL rent today and if I cannot fix this problem then I wont be able to play SL again. 

1 answer to this question

Norton 360 & Kapersky 2014 are official P.I.T.A.s in regards to over zealous management of port traffic. Both products are useless for all practical purposes. Anyone using a standard ISP's home router is protected from the nonsense these products make a mess of trying to manage. ISP routers implement a NAT network and that prevents 100%, the possibility of an external direct attack of your PC/Laptop. Preventing your installed software from using ports is overkill.

If you can find it, locate and turn off the port monitoring for each of these products if you decide to keep them.

To fix your immediate issue, locate the AV software control  panel and turn each off until the next system reboot.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.