I freeze and crash all the time. I changed from Firestorm to Singularity same thing happens.

Kasianni Nikolaidis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3339 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I never use to have issues with SL and rarely crashed. Now I freeze and then crash all the time. About 5 minutes after logging in. The little lag meter on top right shows "client" as red all the time and network and other green. I have tons of memory and my connection is super fast. Don't know what to do, its annoying !! Any tips?

6 answers to this question

Just a guess but I reckon something's up with your client. This warning light is red whenever client FPS is below 10 - i.e., your computer is not keeping up.

This has nothing to do with your connection speed or your amount of available memory, primarily it rests on your graphics card (which you failed to mention) and your processor (ditto). Computer parts don't last forever and the requirements for operating Second Life change more regularly than any other 3D platform.

I'm gonna put this down to having an older PC and little technical understanding. Some part of your SL experience is overloading your computer, but without more information from you it's impossible to say where this is occuring.

Feel free to take a look at a list of things that could be wrong - FS Wiki: fs_run_crash

Best o' luck

• Like 2

Kasianni Nikolaidis wrote:

I never use to have issues with SL and rarely crashed. Now I freeze and then crash all the time. About 5 minutes after logging in. The little lag meter on top right shows "client" as red all the time and network and other green. I have tons of memory and my connection is super fast. Don't know what to do, its annoying !! Any tips?

Hello Kasianni, nice to meet you.

I have to admit that lately I am crashing as well either when using firestorm either when using the original SL Viewer. (Must be my internet provider fault)

It is true that the SL Viewer is the most stable than any other, but people usually d/load other after market viewers and they forget about the original one.

You say you have tons of Ram ( I assume at least 6GB) and a big bandwith (I Assume 24mbps payed .. 11 real ones)

From your name I assume you are Greek and if thats true then there is no way you will have more than 12Mbps wherever you live in that country.

That is almost enough to run SL in ultra settings with a max. distance of 128m when advanced lighting model is disabled.

I Recommend you check your preferenses and minimize the non -usefull to you options.. for example the max. distance or the water reflections and the level of detail of sky.

Hope you will solve this issue and live your SL as always without crashes. (Note the SL Servers are way too much updated and there is no crashing unless wrong preferenses or wrong parcel prim limit at the place where you usually get crashing)

Cheers,

beethros Karas

In addition to Freya's good advice, I'd point out that if you are regularly crashing after 5 minutes in world it can be a classic warning that your computer is overheating.  That could be disastrous (as in, truly expensive).  Your computer -- especially its graphics card -- has to do a lot of work in a graphics-rich environment like Second Life.  Most people find that their computer's temperature rises while they are in world.  If you haven't been keeping it clean inside and if its fans aren't running properly, that heat can ruin components. Your computer will warn you by shutting down when it overheats, but don't count on it doing that forever.

• Like 1

Hi Kasianni,

From your description, I'm going to guess (and it's only a guess) that Freya is pointing in the right direction (your computer) and Rolig's on the right track (graphics). SL is particularly vulnerable to graphics processor overloading. It works the heck out of your computer's graphics subsystem and seems to be unable to live with the adjustements your operating system may make to keep the hardware safe. Most modern computers will throttle hardware that's overheating. They do this by reducing the clock speed to the overheating system. That reduces power consumption, but also slows down processing. Since SL works the graphics system hardest, that will be the first to heat up, and the first to be throttled. The viewer code appears unable to tolerate the slowing of the graphics processor, and eventually crashes. I've witnessed this two of my laptops, one a Windows machine, one a Mac.

Overheating takes time, so you won't crash immediately upon logging in. And that's what you've described. You also won't crash if you're in a low complexity scene, such as floating in the sky out of view of the land below. I recommend giving your computer's cooling system a good cleaning if possible. That can be very difficult on laptops, but may return you to normal operation. If you have some kind of system monitor program on your computer, it may be able to detect system temperatures and clock speeds. That might allow you to determine if your graphics system is overheating and being throttled.

It's till possible that something else has changed. The red client light still suggests that the issue is on your computer, not in the connection to SL or SL itself. Running another viewer, or clean installing your current one, might illuminate or eliminate the problem as well.

Good luck!

Kasianni,

Release Notes for v3.7.25 (299147) - Second Life Viewer

March 4, 2015 - A new release to the SL Viewer is out that takes care of this issue and many many others introduced by the last viewer release roll out. Feel free to install this version in advance of the automatic push that will come in a few weeks and test it out.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/3.7.25.299147

RELEASE NOTE SUMMARY

A cornucopia of fixes including, but not limited to:

• snapshot floater & email
  • de-cluttering dialogs
  • appearance editing
  • rendering performance under some conditions
  • UI & keyboard bugs
  • camera bug in snapshot floater
  • performance
  • build tool
  • link parsing and display behavior
  • crash fixes
  • materials
  • sun position

... and many more for your Second Life pleasure.

Follow the link supplied above for the download and the detailed list of MAINT Issues resolved.

The annoying no link > issue is resolved as wel as a number of crash on TP and stability issues.. If anyone is having DNS issues out of the Blue, please try this release to see if any resolution if offered to stabilize DNS communication.

KML

There are good answers here, but there are some basic troubleshooting steps missing.

There is free software you can use to to see what your hardware is doing: GPU-Z, CPU-Z, Speedfans, and/or Open Hardware. The software will show you hardware temps and performance loads.

When computer components are operating at more then 80C you can start to see slow downs as the system tries to protect itself.

System Explorer, another free program, will show you what is using the CPU and how many programs are running. You can use Windows Resource Monitor too. But, it is not as clear as System Explorer.

You gave us no information about your computer. When asking a tech question include the info from the viewer's HELP->ABOUT... paste that into your post.

With heating problems it is important to us to know if it is a laptop or desktop. Desktops are easy to clean and test. Laptops are tricky. It is hard to say how to open up a laptop or clean it because there are so many different ways that they open. Google for your model.

Presumably you have tried logging into different regions. There are griefer gadgets that will crash viewers.

AMD video drivers are a problem, at least the latest driver seems to be a problem.

The Second Life 3.7.25 (298971) viewer has a memory leak. In less than an hour I can burn up 2+gb of memory and start getting black screens an Not Responding problems. If your low on RAM you may see problems much sooner. If you have an Intel HD graphics processor it uses system RAM for video RAM and that and the viewer can quickly consume all the memory leading to a crash.

Until we know more, all we can do is guess.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3339 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.