Fitted Mesh Visual Artifacts

thesammy58

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

With certain mesh clothing I'll sometimes see artifacts, like a big stretched out line.This has happened to me about 5 times now, and it seems to only happen with fitted mesh. I have attached a picture.

Snapshot_222.jpg

My graphics card is AMD Radeon HD 4350. Any ideas on why this is happening or how to stop it? I use Singularity as my viewer.

4 answers to this question

When that happens to me I need to turn off [  ] Hardware Skinning.

I'm sure there is another reason/solution but this gets me past the issue issue while I do my DJing and allows me to still take quality pictures.

Note: I tend to use the RC [Release Channel] Viewers and still see this issue from time to time and this is using a AMD Radeon HD 6850 Series GC with 1 GB of memory and the most current Catalyst Drivers.

What a shame a pretty top middle of the line GC from 2011 is found lacking in 2014 - :P

Your AMD Radeon HD 4350 rates as follows:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+4350

I purchased the AMD Radeon HD 6850 at the time because it was highly rated at the end of 2011

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+6850

And yet we still both experience this anomaly :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is the answer Sammy...

http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-12929

..specifically

From Runitai Linden on FITMESH-6
NOTE: There appears to be a driver bug on some AMD systems that will cause hardware skinning to break given different combinations of shaders. Users should be advised that if they see improper skinning on their avatars, they should either enable advanced lighting model, or disable atmospheric shaders or hardware skinning.

This appears to he a hardware GC bios / firmware issue so I don't believe a driver solution is forthcoming.

• Like 1

It's common to see artifacts with Fitted Mesh if you don't have a viewer that's been updated for it.  Fitted Mesh uses two new avatar bones, and older viewers are not set up to include these bones...so the mesh streaks off into the distance.

• Like 1

This happen with Fitted Mesh and old viewers.

The viewers had to be updated to handle the new bones added by Fitted Mesh. If an item is weighted to a new collision bone and the viewer has not been updated to know how to handle it, this is what you see.

If it is the viewer, this will be a consistant problem. The distortion will extend to the region's 0,0,0 point.

The problem is solved by updating your viewer.

-----------

When you are asking about a tech issue like this include information about your viewer and computer.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.