Any virtual worlds like SL?

alisonanderson2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3921 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

8 answers to this question

Out there? Out where? Second Life is all I know. This is the Second Life Forums after all. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

You could try a Nintendogs or The Sims.

But seriously, no. If you want something like Second Life that's all in one and offers pregnancy etc., then you really should be thinking about tailoring your own Second Life to be exactly how you want it. In the olden days the tag line for Second Life used to be "your world, your imagination", and really this still applies.  Use the Second Life Marketplace to find pregnancy HUDs, or search inworld for pregnancy-themed hospitals and sims. 

First, Second Life does not fit the definition of a "game".  It has the qualities of a game to a certain extent but, overall, it's very different.  I won't get into the age old argument over "game or not a game".  The facts speak for itself on that subject. 

If, however, you are asking if there are other virtual worlds like SL and what those virtual worlds do that are similar or identical to SL (and I think that's what you are asking), then the answer is yes.......quite a few actually.  The Open Sim project is the base for many such worlds.  "Inworldz" comes to mind since it is popular and, for the moment, pretty successful.  It's basically a copy of SL with a few differences in policies and what they allow and don't allow in their world.  All the virutal worlds built on the SL platform that was reverse engineered several years ago are pretty far behind SL on the technology side and have a lot of the same problems Linden Lab experienced 3 to 5 years ago...but they are working on catching up (with varying degrees of success).  Google "Open Sim" and you get a lot of hits.........check them out to see if they fit your needs.  But don't expect anything drastically different........they are just copies of SL in reality (and, technically, about 3 to 5 years behind SL).

This is more a comment to the first commentors comment. You said SL is like a game but doesn't fit the deffinition of a game... I'd just like to say I think that it's more a social networking website/program.... A very unique one in that it evolves over time instead of being replaced by a sequal, or recieving large scale updates on a regular basis... In this sense, it is like life, always changing... I think we will see a new type of social networl/game. with sl. I'd even be willing to say that once next generation gaming technology comes arround, SL will take it to a new level, and vise versa.

This might be easier to answer if we knew what about SL was making you seek a similar, but different world. Is your computer having trouble running SL? Have you run into people you dislike? Was there something you wanted but were unable to find? Perhaps someone can help you find these things inside SL.

Truthfully, I don't think, at this point, you'll find a "world" that offers everything SL does. You might find similar "games," but none as complete, I think, as SL is. You can check what others suggested, and see if you find something you think is comparable.

The forum rules here forbid discussing competing products to SL. So we can't answer in detail about other virtual worlds, or provide links to them.

Yes, other virtual worlds exist. They are all smaller and less complete than SL, and are all based on reverse-engineered server code and open-source viewer code from SL. Most of them don't have a good physics system, most don't have a valid micro-currency that allows you to both purchase and cash out in-world currency for real money. And most importantly, none of the others has anywhere near as many content creators or sellers of any of the things that you are used to finding in SL. The ones I have visited were nostly populated by people that left SL in disgust over one idiotic ruling or another that LL comitted in Second Life. The largest ones I found so far didn't have enough active merchants in their whole virtual world to compare with what SL had six years ago, when I joined SL.

As far as "Downloadable" goes, then no. You need a server that is configured to present the virtual world. and can't just download it like a game program. There are simulator applications that you can get that turn a PC into a sim server, but as far as I have ever seen, that computer has to be dedicated to just that use, and then needs to either be connected to an open grid of other personally-owned servers, or connected to as a stand-alone workd via a web browser from another computer.

There are a few virtual worlds that focus almost entirely on hard core sex, and they probably offer at least some pregnancy simulation options. I don't know which ones, since I haven't bothered going to those sex-centered virtual worlds myself.

IMO not only is the answer rno but there is a huge monstrous amount of differences between the worlds that people label such as here under the answers being similar to second life and second life theyre not similar to second life theyre shockingly different. AM I LOSING MY MIND?

I opened up 2 games 2  out of 7 game slisted being just like ASecond Life Smmet and Entropia and I read at IMVU that they make you do this as well, THEY ARE A GAME ONCE YOU GET THERE THEY FORCE YOU TO HAVE A ROOM COLLECT COINS PLAY A GAME ITS LIKE SIMS THEYT ALL MAKE YOU PLAY A LITTLE game I mean my god Im sorry mys econd life isn't anything like that Ive never been forced to have a house and room and forced tod ecorate it and forced to play a game to be in it.

Second Lifes not a game Celest Vantelli my character is homeless folks. I don't have a home that's crzy its bazzrely shockingly different, has everyone gone and lost their minds?

Ive been to a bunch of the sights for these worlds and they ll require you to play a game which in my mind makes them not even the same thing as 2nd Life.

Find me one where your not required to play a game first place then ILl see if its the same ok? But if its  agame its not even in the same category as second life I hate playing games collecting coins or having a house I wont have it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3921 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.