when the Arabic writing will be support in SL?

Basuoma Audeburgh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello there dear Linden lap, and everyone.

I hope this is the right place for this thread because it is about the viewer.

we Arab people have a very difficult problem to communicate with each other via typing in Second life, the viewer does not recognise how we type. Arabic writing starts from the right to the left, when we try to type something it comes opposite and the letters do not fit together therefore no one will understand what you are typing.

I asked my friends in-world to ask for the support, but their reply was negative! they said that we have tried before many times but no one take care of our letters, so they created a script that helps us to write in Arabic, but it is very difficult to use, we must type (/5) before the text, sometimes we forget and the text comes in a messy way :(, other times we cannot use it because of the lag.

when you opened the Arabic forum the first thread were about that's the Arab people have difficulty to type in SL, and not every one comfortable with speaking on the mic there.

So PLEASE Linden lap make our Second life happy and easier by supporting Arabic writing, and for a grand huge company like you it should not be difficult to solve. :)

best wishes

Bassima. 

I understand how frustrating this may be.  However we are all just residents in this forum and can't really help with this problem.  The lindens don't generally monitor or reply to issues here.

Using the JIRA system is the best way to address this problem.   There is a JIRA's on this issue  but has received little support in the form of votes (only 28 so far when I looked).  Click here to read it and vote for it.   Start a campaign among Arabic speakers and supporters in world to vote for the JIRA  report.  Each resident can vote up to four times a month.  The more votes the report receives the more likely you will receive attention and a solution to the problem.

I believe all Unicode languages are supported in-world; I have seen people writing in Arabic successfully.  It even supports Cherokee (though Windows users don't seem to have a font that has this part of the Unicode set installed:  Microsoft doesn't care about red people).

Baloo Uriza wrote:

I believe all Unicode languages are supported in-world; I have seen people writing in Arabic successfully.  It even supports Cherokee (though Windows users don't seem to have a font that has this part of the Unicode set installed:  Microsoft doesn't care about red people).

The viewer uses Unicode so it can display Arabic letters (not words). However it does not support typing or displaying strings from right to left or bidirectional typing, both of which are needed to support Arabic and a few other languages.

Back home in the Cherokee Nation, Windows takes a distant third place.  MacOS is most common, followed by Linux.  iPhones are everywhere.  Why?  All Apple devices and operating systems have full Cherokee language support.  Most Linux distros have at least some Cherokee support, and it's improving every day.

It does let you insert text direction characters (since it does handle Unicode), something that it probably wouldn't be hard to make a viewer do automatically when set to use one of those languages.  Arabic uses an alphabet, not an ideography, so if it can handle the letters, it can handle the words.  This really seems like something that the viewer community could easily fix with a pretty minor patch.

Arabic has, I believe, some complex rules about the presence of some letters modifying the appearance of other letters, that's why the bidirectional input is needed. I don't know Arabic so I can't explain it, but I can give you a similar but much simpler examples from Japanese.

Japanese has what's know as the Yoon characters where the pronunciation of two characters are merged together. For example you have the characters ri 「り」 and yo「よ」when combined they form ryo 「りょ」(note yo is now subscript). The second case are what's known as Sokuon where the consonant is spoken twice as a form of gemination. This is indicated by placing a subscript tsu 「つ」before the character being modified, for example the phrase chotto matte "wait a minute" is written as 「ちょっとまって」.

That's what I mean by being able to handle letters but not words. Anyway some one did submit patches to clean up Arabic support in the viewer but LL didn't accept most of them for whatever reason.

Thanks to all of you for participating in this post, as Leliel said the viewer can display the letters ONLY, but Arabic writing is different all the words must be JOINED together to make a sentence, I used to have this problem with Photoshop V.6 but they fixed it, and now I can type Arabic sentences in Photoshop without any help from other software. lets say I want to type "I love Second life" in Arabic it will be like this "أنا أحب السكند لايف", now let me show you how it looks like in Second Life viewer.

Arabic.jpg

see! the viewer display the letters only from  LEFT to right, and joined together like the EX above :(

yesterday I went to Arab sims and asked them to vote on that link, but yet no one vote! I used my three SL accounts and voted, my German friend kindly vote, too,

I don't know seems the other are not really keen to be able to write in Arabic, or maybe they just gave up.

Thank you to all of you, and please if you step on this post vote to support this issue on this link here, I'd really appreciate it.

best wishes

Bassima.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for putting this issue
But we suffer from a Few of English speakers in the Arab peoples
So you will not get a high vote, unless we tell them how to vote or About this vote

We have opened more than a vote in this case
But we are still suffering from a few  voting
Knowing that there are many from Arabic speakers in Second Life

Hello there Rshod, 

it is so frustrated to see the people who have the issue don't give a shuger about it, I did my best, I gave the link to all of my Arab friends, but none of them vote or even tried to click on the link..

I also sent the link to a bunch of my European friends and guess waht?? they all voted at the moment they recieved the link..

I stopped bothering myself about this problem becuse I joined SL to practice my English at the first place.

Thanks for your reply Rshod, and I wish I could find a way to make the Arab folks care about this problem.

Bassima 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.