stereoscopic 3D

Rick Dashrix

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Could anybody recomend a viewer, or settings to enable SL to run in 3D mode with nvidia shutter glasses. I know there are viewers that run in anaglyph (red blue lenses) dale glass viewer and kirstens viewer for example. Perhaps a viewer that will run in full screen mode may work although I have had no success so far.

Thanks.

• 8 months later...

hey I been tryin to get info on nvidia glasses to work in SL too. desparate. Use them in my flight sim everyday and was bummed out when couldnt use them in SL. Please let me know if you find out anything. Is this gonna take a new viewer or is the openGL a game stopper? Had a 3d tv with passive glasses and built in 2d to 3d converter. Totally unexceptable in SL. it worked but barely. For gaming it has to be shutter glasses. Thanx, Pilotus Aero

• 1 month later...

OLD (pre-mid 2000s)  shutterglasses do still sort-of work, providing you use an ancient nVidia graphics card (7x00GT series or older), ancient drivers, an old viewer using full-screen and shaders off,  and an old CRT-type monitor. There are a lot of artifacts however.

However as people has said, the modern Nvdia 3D Vision doesn't work because nVidia cripple their Geforce cards not to support OpenGL stereo (it's reserved for the very expensive Quadro pro-range, and even then, it needs to be quad-buffered)

With slightly less old junk, I recently got 3DSL working rather better using an old 7600GT, old 91.xx drivers, an LG passive-3D monitor hacked to fool the card it's a Zalman :), cheap cinema-style glasses and another hack to do line-interleaved, all running under XP. Current SL viewers Singularity & Firestorm both worked in full-screen, albeit with those pesky shaders turned off. No artifacts this time, but expect a higher than normal crash-rate with the prehistoric driver/new viewer combo. I'm amazed I can see mesh!

So at the minute it's either pretty-pretty 2DSL with shaders etc or 3DSL but not both. Frankly I'm not going back to 2DSL for the eye-candy gladly, but I now fear server-side baking (SSAB) may break everything again, who knows? 

As for AMD, the same greedy pro-cards only attitude re: OpenGL stereo used to prevail, but now it seems unlike nVidia, they relented and now let you use the HD 6000 series and newer cards for Quad-buffer OpenGL stereoscopic 3D. This gives the potential for full-shader eye-candy AND modern passive-glasses SL. in 3D stereo.

Only trouble is SL and some other OpenGL games don't bother to support quad-buffering, even though it's only a few lines of code to add or so I'm told. Any 3d-loving, Radeon-owning coders out there willing to give it a go?

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Yes. Actually i found this option and your viewer by accident as i was checking what is Second Life status currently with OculusRIft (I plan to get DK2 version when they start to ship them again estimated July 2014). However as i was reading documents about CtrlAltStudio-viewer i quickly rushed to charge my Nvidia 3D classes and check SL. 

I can say Second Life looked as great as any other game when viewed through 3D glasses. There are naturally limitations, one is monitor and screen size (Oculus Rift will remove that) but what I and i belive many others have found problem currently with Second Life viewer is when you are viewing world in Mouselook (1st person mode) 

Manipulatiing objects and using of them (sitting etc) is not possible in 1st person mode and i think this should be somehow solved. I am certain LL must have also recognised this limitation in UI. Ofcourse it is always possible to pop into 3rd person mode but it will break immersion expecially with Oculus Rift. 

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I have no idea,  I tried a few viewers my self. So far  , i don't have  luck with them.   

http://sl.daleglass.net/                         I always get a  strange error when i try to log in with this viewer.

http://ctrlaltstudio.com/viewer          This one  starts up on my  computer,  but  it  puts my  screen in  a none 3d mode. It always  manage to  put the refresh rate of my screen up to 144hz.  Even when i limit  it down  to  120hz or  100hz.  There is an  option in the application  that should  limited the refresh rate but  that  doesnt work  so far. Even when i  try  to limit  the refresh  rate with the nvidia control panel,  it doesnt work.

Maybe someone else has some luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I am still trying many setting to run ctrlaltstudio in my GTX960 with my LG passive 3D LCD.

Since NVIDIA 3DTV Play do not support most 3D LCD, I need to hack the edid to active NVIDIA 3D function.

And I do not know if thsoe hack block me from seeing 3D in ctrlatlstudio or not.

Many say that ATI has a better support on OpenGL Quad Buffer, but ATI fail to have a  new product for a year......

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.