should i risk with AMD Radeon?

IsisRea Diavolo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3493 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hy, i need quick help. I couldnt login to SL for a long time cus of my ancient laptop, but now i finaly ordered a new one..but unfortunately i got a message that the one i selected isnt on stock and they dont know how long i have to wait till they get one so they recomended another one - even cheaper one. The problem is that the dedicated graphic card is AMD Radeon and i know that SL is using OpenGL and AMD dosn't likes that. And personaly i don't like AMD, i wanted Nvidia and the one i choosed was better then this. But i'm also not too familiar with AMD...that's why i need help to decide: wait i dont know how much till ill be able to login to SL again or take a risk with AMD..

This is what i was ordering: Laptop Acer E1-570G-33214G1TMnii, Intel® CoreTM i3-3217U 1.80GHz, 4GB, 1TB, nVidia GeForce GT 740M 2GB, Linux, Iron

And this is what they recomended for me insteed: Laptop Acer Aspire E1-572G-54204G75Mnii, Intel® CoreTM i5-4200U 1.60GHz, Haswell, 4GB, 750GB, AMD Radeon HD 8750M 2GB, Linux

note: i love acer, i'm on low budget, but i don't like amd

Just some personal thoughts.

I have had a HD6950 for 3.5 years now. In the beginning there were plenty of issues with SL (not other programs). Those have for the most part gone away. However, doing tests with friend using the same settings have convinced me that FPS still take a hit. My friend with a much lesser Nvidia card and machine in general WITH the same FS graphics settings got just as good or better FPS in various places. This can of course change at any time.

So while I am HAPPY with my card, I will be getting a Nvidia one next time :D. That kinda tells you where I am at. There are tons of computers you can buy from, buy YOU have to decide. There are also many websites that will let you compare the benchmarks on various cards. Just type in "compare and your card numbers and you will likely find a few. That should help a little.

So FEWER issues with AMD than there used to be. BETTER Nvidia (as it has always been).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm actually working with a fairly comparable AMD Radeon in my laptop.  The AMD drivers have been fairly solid on Linux for the last few years, for the most part, though there's a couple bugs, both of which cause sudden performance drops, and are most notably hit by Source based games that haven't yet worked around them (TF2 to some degree, and the Half Life 2 franchise for sure).  It's not the beefiest GPU on the market, but it's not a bad economy dedicated GPU, either.  SL (as viewed through Singularity on Debian amd64) doesn't seem to have a marked difference between the open drivers and the AMD official drivers (suggesting the gap has dramatically closed recently).

If you got the money, sidestep the problem and go nVidia.  But the Radeon's not going to be a bad choice (and probably a better one if you're trying to minimize your nonfree software intake)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3493 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.