microsoft surface pro

melvin9779

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't imagine that it's a great experience currently, but if they refresh the hardware with Haswell, it could get interesting in the near-ish future. (I actually quite like the Surface. Now, if only they can sell enough to keep it on the market....)

• 1 month later...

I bought one of the Surface Pros. It has run everything I've thrown at it, and it's done it quickly. It completely amazed me and runs many things better then my i5 8GB DD3 (2GB dedicated video (NVidia)) desktop does. My desktop is a bit dated, but I certainly didn't expect this little tablet to out perform it.

I've tested Neverwinter (mmo) and get great FPS out of it using it's autodetect settings. Lowering some of the settings produces seamless gameplay.

I've tested Guild Wars 2 (mmo) and get playable FPS out of it using it's autodetect default settings. Again, lowering some of the settings also produces seamless gameplay.

I have not put Second Life on it yet, I'm kinda afraid I'll never get any work done if I do lol, but if there is enough community interest here I would be willing to put it on and take some screenshots and do some SL stress testing with it.

For creators this little tablet could be a godsend, those of us who travel a lot but still need a graphical UI rather then a text based viewer so they can handle customer service. With the stylus pen that comes with it, sculpting in Blender is fun! Youtube videos out there for that already. Either way, I'm only speculating here, but considering the little tablet runs the MMOs I play on occasion, and runs them as well as my desktop or even better, I would imagine playing SL on it would be equally as nice.

The Surface Pro has exceeded all expectations I ever had of it, originally I got it for university, it will be replacing all the current devices I own and I will be formatting my desktop and selling it to a neighbor.

EDIT -> Forgot to enable my javascript as usual, lol, enabled to fix spacing and re-posted. :)

EDIT x2 -> Tablet does not get hot at all, even when gaming on it.  It gets warm, but not hot, nothing like a laptop/ultrabook/notebook does.  When the internal fan kicks on it's also quiet, when I first heard it kick on it was so low it blended into the background of the game I was playing and didn't even notice it at all.  For those concerned about the Intel integrated graphics, have a look at the Razer Edge Pro (Google). 

The Razer Edge sports an Intel i7 processor, 8GB DDR3 RAM, and a discrete 2GB video card.  It's more pricey then the Surface Pro and general reviews of the Razer Edge shows many people having driver issues (and people can't upgrade to Windows 8.1 without breaking that specific tablet), which is the only reason why I went with the Surface Pro.

I have a surface pro and Second Life runs very well on it. .... smooth.... i'm very happy with the performance. There are 2 issues though.

!) There was a microsoft update to the table that caused it to crash when starting the program. I restored the surface pro to factory default and turned off the updates until they fix this.

2) You cannot have text set to 150% because when you perform. ctrl - alt - left mouse button, to focus the camera on an object the whole video screeen spins rapidly.

So set your text to 100% & don't take the bad updàte and you have a nice tablet/pc that runs second life smoothly :) Spite the issues, I love the surface pro and quite pleased that it runs SL nicely.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

With the new firmware & Win 8.1 Free update for MS Surface Pro all the problems are solved. No more crash when update the Graphics drivers for Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Before you could solved with a roll back to a earlier driver, now work fine) and solve the Mouse (Control-Alt-Left Click) for rotation focusing a object. Just Update your Surface Pro Win 8 to Win 8.1 ... following this steps ...

If you’re ready to go, follow these steps to download the free update from the Windows Store:

1.- Go to the Start screen, and tap or click the Store tile.
2.- In the Store, tap or click the Windows 8.1 update.
3.- Tap or click Download.
4.- The update will download and install in the background while you use your Surface to do other things.
The installer will check to make sure you have enough disk space, that your apps and devices will work with Windows 8.1, and that you have all the required updates. In some cases, the installer might find something you need to take care of before you can continue installing the update. If so, you'll see a message telling you what you need to do.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.