massive CPU limitation

Zenity Zadark

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My PC is maybe a bit uncommon, which causes some problems to get a decent performance. I have an AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (that's a 2,6 GHz Dualcore) and a Radeon 7750. In other words: An 2006 CPU and a 2012 GPU. Because of this graphics settings just plain doesn't matter – on an almost empty sim I get 22 fps on "low" and 19 on "high"...

That won't be a problem – but with more complex sims, things get worse and quite often below 5 fps. So I'm searching ideas to reduce the CPU load (beside draw distance, which I've already reduced).

You could try using Open Hardware Monitor to work out what is impacting your CPU v what is using GPU. Also, more complex sims suggests server lag which may have noting to do with your CPU. You can check that using the statistics bar. For more info see my article Chasing the Lag, link below.

Seconding Sassy's response, you're lucky to get double-digits at all. Second Life is considerably heavier on the CPU than the GPU.

GPU's are fast but ultimately they're always tied to the CPU and your motherboard bus/PCI speed (probably 8 years old as well? Doesn't matter). There's no way to get around the bottleneck that your old hardware is enforcing upon your system.

And yeah, go Nvidia on your next card. ATI suck at OpenGL compatibility 

Ohjiro's articles leave out some things. Get the free System Explorer and watch its graphs. Look for the Pages Faulted. If that number is high, you are short memory and that is a huge hit on performance. Memory is cheap and easy to add.

You will always see lots page faulting when you first start SL. If you have enough memory soon after starting the fault rates should come down. They will always be considerably higher than before starting the viewer. 

Try watching the Resource Monitor in Windows versions since Vista. It will show you what programs are using which resources and how much they use. This should give you an idea what is holding your viewer back. Plus the Resource Monitor will show whether the Page Faults are for the viewer and whether they are hard faluts are not. My system shows 0 hard faults for the SL Viewer.

Also setup a game profile in the nvidia control panel for Second Life. NIVDIA often fails to recognize SL as a game and thuse fails to provide its best performance. Plus you can tweak the card settings for the game to get better performance.

My GPU carries a 60%+/- load while the quad core CPU carrise a 70%+/- load running the current SL viewer and that is at 38 to 45 FPS. (Core2 Quad 2.4ghz, GTX560) If these are not maxing out, they are not the bottle next to performance. If you have slow RAM, that can bottle neck the system. You can get your motherboard ID (Use free CPU-Z to get the ID) and look up the specs to see the fastest memory it can use. CPU-Z will tell you speed rating of the RAM sticks installed.

Google for OpenGL game performance tweaks. Lots of gamer sites will explain all the settings and which ones do what. I have an old article that has links to some. See: http://blog.nalates.net/2010/12/17/graphics-tweaking-for-second-life/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.