connection problems

Fee Zsun

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Until yesterday i have been connecting to second life using the Pheonix Viewer with no problem at all. The version i am using is the latest 1.5.2.1102

and it has been totally trouble free. My computer details are as follows.
Model Name:iMac
 Model Identifier:iMac9,1
 Processor Name:Intel Core 2 Duo
 Processor Speed:2.66 GHz
 Number Of Processors:1
 Total Number Of Cores:2
 L2 Cache:6 MB
 Memory:4 GB
 Bus Speed:1.07 GHz
 Boot ROM Version:IM91.008D.B08
 SMC Version (system):1.37f3
 Operating systemOS X version 10.6.8

Yesterday i logged on and found some serious problems which i have been unable to resolve. Once loaded there are very obvious problems, chief of which is a consistent hanging of the programme, by hanging i mean it simply stops, one can type maybe three or four words and then it hangs for some two minutes or more. The names displayed are preceded by a series of question marks, as in ??? ( name ) and clothing is only partially downloaded and appearance is partially greyed out. That is after it actually loads, because it takes some five minutes or so to load. Every other aspect of my online usage is fine, i can load web pages, use e mail, do everything without difficulty, the only problem is accessing second life. I have tried deleting everything relating to second life and phoenix from my machine, and loading a totally clean version of the viewer 2, and the phoenix viewer, the same problem occurs. Yesterday evening i did manage to log onto second life, in this manner. I deleted everything relating to second life and phoenix from my machine, and copied the same version oh the phoenix viewer, but from a week ago from my backup to my desktop, and logged on with no problem. I did think that the problem was resolved, however this morning when i logged on, i found the same problem again. I am not sure if this is a viewer problem or a second life problem, i do know that having contacted Apple that they think, because it is Second Life specific and viewer specific and my machine performs perfectly in all other respects, that it is unlikely to be a Mac problem. I am going slightly nuts trying to figure this out, please help with any advice you may have.   

Try rebooting your router. It sounds like a connectivity issue. Your router also may be going bad. Email and web surfing don't demand anything near the performance of SL, and if there are packets being dropped you may not notice with other types of web access. In SL they will show up right away.

I 've the same problem. I saved all datas, reinstalled my imac (mac os 10.6.8), updated again, reinstalled phoenix viewer, tried viewer 2, too: without success!

I am completely helpless. Also restarting of the router did not help. All other applications work immaculately without a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the exact same experience and I see in various forums that others have the same, for instance also World of Warcraft players, after updating to 10.6.8.

I followed all suggestions in other forums, updating the nVidia card, deleting the user settings, trying out alternative viewers, creating a new avi, getting rid of "ruthhairfix", reconnecting the router......... nothing helps.

It must have to do with the 10.6.8 update since it happened for everyone after updating. Why it doesn't affect everyone I don't know. But it did for me and now I miss SL!!!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.