Windows eight point one! HELP!

SamanthaPrater

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The most important piece of information required us missing.

The viewer message is about video drivers but we don't know what video device you have but given the rest of the spec of the PC I would say it's from about 6 years old.

You may need to install a Windows 7 driver for your graphics card as it is quite possible that the vendor may have stopped support for it, or you may be lucky and they may have a current driver.

I had to use a Windows 7 driver on an old Lenovo with Intel embedded graphics when trying to use that with Windows 8.1

No, silly me but I was right about the age so the rest of my previous post now applies.

(it's an old machine, results will vary but it seems that the latest ATI driver is here http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy2&os=Windows%208%20-%2064 so try that one instead of the one you have, unless you're already using this).

Your computer/graphics are not a high enough specification to run a normal SL viewer. Your graphics is an integrated chip (part of the mother board). In most cases this will not have enough power to run the complex graphics in second life. So the message you are getting is just telling you that.

One thing you can try is running Radegast Viewer which you can download here: http://radegast.org/wp/

This is mostly a text based connection but there is a tab called "3D Scene" with a low level graphics display if your rig is up to it. The requirement is much lower than the SL viewer or Firestorm and at least you won't get the unhelpful message. If your computer isn't up to running the 3D scene then you just won't see that tab.

Your other option is to buy a new computer. If you want to do that decide on your budget and get lots of advice from different sources so that you get the best you can for your money.

You can check the system requirements to run Second Life here: System Requirements | Second Life.

You need to translate the Intel 945 spec the Lab gives to something meaningful for your case. The Intel pages related to the 945 chip link to HD2500 and HD4000 level graphics support. What this means is you are borderline. However, the Lab's graphics GPU table file is blocking you. Thus, some third party viewers with different GPU files will run on your hardware.

Try Firestorm, Singularity, or Cool VL Viewer. Firestorm is supporting less and less older hardware.

You can use the free program GPU-Z to verify the actual graphics chip in you computer.

• 1 month later...

SamanthaPrater wrote:

thats odd; Windows seven Ran SL perfectly with out complication.

So, why o why did you have to waste money and "update" to that new smartphone/tablet OS? Reinstall Win7 and go your marry ways. Or, even and  much better, extend your middle digit in direction of Redmond/CA and waven 'em a friendly goodbye, and install Linux Mint 17 (with Non-free drivers) and never suffer anything bad ever again. As cool side effect you won't need to install any anti-virus or firewall software. And no voodoo speed-up maintenance programs neither. No need to clear you registry or de-fragment the HD. All those jobs that took so much time off my productivity ... all things of the past and nothing but bad memories now. 

Orca Flotta wrote:

...Or, even and  much better, extend your middle digit in direction of Redmond/CA and waven 'em a friendly goodbye,....

:smileylol:  Well in UK it`s more traditional to extend index finger and middle finger so I`ve done just that and now posting this from a shiny new mint cinnamon desktop.

First time I`ve used linux and must say I`m impressed with the resource usage, 300mb ram usage compared to 1.65gig on win 7.1 just to display the desk top!

/me runs off to dl firestorm linux

SaraCarena wrote:

/me runs off to dl firestorm linux

Cool, I'm sooo proud of you. Linux did rejuvenate countless museum pieces of hardware already and gave them a longer lifespan. And Mint, in my eye, is the best for new users, nicer than the famous Ubuntu. Once you're settled into the Linux world and found the best desktop environment you should upgrade to a more advanced distro tho. Manjaro is the best Linux on the market right now, is based on Arch and available in all desktop flavours.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.