Will this work?

Twig Aho

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

could someone tell me if this will play second life well please? It's like some foreign language to me..

Asus I5 4440 3.1Ghz Gaming Pc Windows7 1Tb 8Gb Nvidia GTX 750TI 2GB ZT3

Any suggestions for other PCs would be appreciated too. I use second life for taking picture so I need something that will cope with advanced lighting.

Twig Aho wrote:It's like some foreign language to me..

Asus I5 4440 3.1Ghz Gaming Pc Windows7 1Tb 8Gb Nvidia GTX 750TI 2GB ZT3

Okay, lemme try to translate:

Asus = Taiwanese hardware manufacturer

i5 = middle class processor family produced by Intel

4440 = not as good as 4670

Gaming PC = everybody can slap a fancy "gaming" sticker on their mediocre product, LOL

1 TB = (1 Terabyte) refers to the storage size of the harddrive and is more than adequate, even tho a smaller sized but much faster SSD is more modern and would be my choice

8 GB = (8 Gigabyte) is the size of the RAM (read only memory) your short term work memory. 8 GB is adequate.

Nvidia = Taiwanese hardware manufacturer of graphic cards

GTX = Nvidia's best series

7xx = series 7 is the most recent generation of Nvidia cards

x5x = lowest in the GTX series

TI = a moniker for cards that are a bit better than those without TI treatment

2GB = the memory dedicated to the graphics chip, 2 GB is more than adequate

I gather this is a desktop, right? Asus is a high volume mass producer and they have kindasorta everything in their portfolio, from high class gaming stuff to absolute crappola. It irks me that they left out some pretty important info in the description: what motherboard is being used, what power unit, is the box metal or just plastic, does it come with a DVD writer? Is keyboard and mouse included in the deal? What  about the screen? I've not seen this specific product and can't say anything about the build and material quality, also I dunno the price but if not too expensive I'd snap it up. But generally you gotta see that it's exactly people like you who keep all those companies afloat. From cheap @$$ hardware producers like Asus to the software con artists like Micro**bleep**. Because you don't know nothing they can sell you everything :(

It would've been nice and helpful if you'd linked to the site where you found it. Then we could have a look at it and check the asking price.

Generally I'd never purchase a pre-assembled PC but with your little knowledge I won't tell you to build one yourself. So I guess this is a reasonable offer and you may take it. Nevertheless if you wanna be a geek, just type the technical figures into the search system at newegg.com and see what they're coming up with. You'll get better quality stuff for less money.

Orca Flotta wrote:

Nvidia = Taiwanese hardware manufacturer of graphic cards

That would come as quite a surprise to nVidia's Taiwanese-American CEO, president and co-founder, Jen-Hsun Huang.

(Of course, among the many companies that make graphics cards based on nVidia components some are Taiwanese, and I don't know where all nVidia currently has its own chip fabs -- one or more of those may be in Taiwan.)

FWIW, Google suggests this eBay offer as a likely candidate for the product here.

Hi,

thank you for the replies, that is the computer in the link in the previous post. It is a desktop. I've been using SL on a mac laptop and Ive just had enough of the graphics borking all of the time. I have like zero knowledge so I dont want to make some horrible purchase.

dd Temin wrote:

Greetings..
:)

The short answer is
Yes
...that PC will work just fine in SL

(assuming  you also have a good internet provider connection speed)

dd

Seconding this concise opinion. The PC will work pretty well. :)

You'll have no trouble working in SL at High or Ultra display quality based on the hardware alone.

Good luck!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.