Why can't blocking (muting) a resident also block and mute all their scripts and objects?

Edfred Jungsten

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Seems like this would solve alot of problems in SL with troublemakers. I'm sure this question has been presented before and I wonder why that is not possible. I can derender a whole region at a keystroke, why can't it just do that for the possessions of muted residents automatically, rather than havingf to derender each new object they spawn. Input?

Innula Zenovka wrote:

I'd always thought that muting someone did automatically mute all their objects.     It certainly used to.

You mention how you can "derender a whole region at a keystroke," whch suggests to me you're using a TPV -- could it be an issue with that viewer?

Last August we started delving into the (failed) blocking issues.  I don't feel like we ever really got to the bottom of the problem, but the evidence was very strong that it was Viewer related.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Gripe-of-the-day/m-p/1620329/highlight/true#M72849

@Edfred -- I was thinking of derender as most TPVS use the term -- that is, just render an eyesore completely invisible.  CTRL ALT SHIFT 9 seems to cause every prim on the sim to vanish (including your hair) which seems a bit like overkill.

@Perrie -- my alt and I have just been muting each other.   Certainly in Firestorm and Catznip, muting someone appears to mute their objects too.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

@Edfred -- I was thinking of derender as most TPVS use the term -- that is, just render an eyesore completely invisible.  CTRL ALT SHIFT 9 seems to cause every prim on the sim to vanish (including your hair) which seems a bit like overkill.

@Perrie -- my alt and I have just been muting each other.   Certainly in Firestorm and Catznip, muting someone appears to mute their objects too.

That is my present experience now also.  Something changed, I am assuming somewhere code, Since then, but I have no idea what.  At the time of that thread, something was loopy.

As far as I know, currently all muting stops is particles,sounds from their objects. It does not render objects by the muted  resident invisible nor effect any scripts that might be targeting you from that person. I would like to see all objects from a muted person rendered invisible automatically and any of their scripts targeting my avatar (or anyones avatar in the vicinity in which might affect me) made useless by the action of muting. If I mute someone, I don't want to see any evidence they further exist aside from seeing them on radar. There's a reason there is a mute button and  reasons why people are muted.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

That is my present experience now also.  Something changed, I am assuming somewhere code, Since then, but I have no idea what.  At the time of that thread, something was loopy.

Yes, muting is handled mostly on the viewer side, and in the past year lots of tweaks have been made to close up holes. So, in general, the newer the viewer, the better muting should work.  There are still some holes left, such as llSetText and group invitations. Facelights were only added to the pile in 3.4.2, so it is still a work in progress.

Edfred Jungsten wrote:

As far as I know, currently all muting stops is particles,sounds from their objects. It does not render objects by the muted  resident invisible nor effect any scripts that might be targeting you from that person. I would like to see all objects from a muted person rendered invisible automatically and any of their scripts targeting my avatar (or anyones avatar in the vicinity in which might affect me) made useless by the action of muting. If I mute someone, I don't want to see any evidence they further exist aside from seeing them on radar. There's a reason there is a mute button and  reasons why people are muted.

Derendering only makes things invisible in your viewer - it doesn't eliminate their physical existence. If a blocked person's objects were derendered automatically they could trap you with objects that you couldn't see.

Correction, they should be "invisible and phantom" if theyve been derendered. Or my avatar should be phantom to them as if they no longer exist. The alternative to being safe in any public area is to stand on a non physical vehicle (so I can't be pushed), make my avatar completely invisible (so I can't be deformed), and derender the entire region (so my viewer cannot be crashed by a malicious viewer crashing object). On the bright side, I've noticed mesh is not derendered as other objects are, so many peoples hair does remain :)

I can mention a few times when I've sat on an object, stood up, and fallen through the object. upon checking the object finding out it isn't phantom. Then being able to pass through any objects until i sit on the ground. Yea, it is probubly a bug in the server software but it happened. So it isn't impossible.

That anyone else sees me falling through is irrelevant. Who cares if others see me falling through? Who cares if someone has put a giant phallus over my avatar and it's following me around, as long as I am not hindered by it after the owner (or even creator) has been muted.  I want to achieve "falling through" and derendering for my avatar alone. You speak as if I want the whole sl world to adapt to my mute button, and that isn't the case at all.  What I desire would only affect my avatar: Muting someone and not seeing or being affected by their objects afterward and forever more.

Edfred Jungsten wrote:

That anyone else sees me falling through is irrelevant. Who cares if others see me falling through? Who cares if someone has put a giant phallus over my avatar and it's following me around, as long as I am not hindered by it after the owner (or even creator) has been muted.  I want to achieve "falling through" and derendering for my avatar alone. You speak as if I want the whole sl world to adapt to my mute button, and that isn't the case at all.  What I desire would only affect my avatar: Muting someone and not seeing or being affected by their objects afterward and forever more.

What you're asking for would be having the servers calculate and stream a different version of the physical world for each person depending on their mute list. Or, in other words, wanting the whole sl world to adapt to your mute button.

Not only that, everyone would see everything on another place on the sim than the rest of the residents after a couple of collisions. How impossible would that be for a shared experience?

Edfred, just take it from us, it is IMPOSSIBLE.

There is something that in theory might be possible, but it would be completely unworkable. The server would have to determine the owner of every object that is about to collide with you before it actually does that, then it has to send a message to your viewer, your viewer has to check if that person is on your ban list then it has to send back a message whether that's the case, then the server has to determine whether to ignore the collision or let it happen. That should all be done in zero seconds or every collision in SL would be lagged.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.