Why are people complaining my sim runs slow on Macintosh computers?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3611 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Alright, so no one ever complains about my sim running slow. It's very high detail and does have a ton of prims, but the script usage doesn't normally exceed 70,000 Kb usage. In the past 10 minutes, I just had two people who didn't even know eachother complain that my sim isn't built efficiently and it runs too slow. After inquiring, I learned both of these people are in fact running on Macintosh computers. Normally, I'd shun that as I am an avid PC user myself. After furthing inquiring I learned they're both running very new Macbooks with 16 GB of ram and ~2.6 GHz I7's with very decent 1 GB Nvidia graphics cards. I was even informed by one of them, their frame rate is as low as 4 FPS. I have instructed one of them to clear their cache as I write this, but I doubt it's going to have an effect, I'll keep this post updated on if it does or if it doesn't. They are also running Firestorm viewer and I have instructed them to resort back to the default viewer if the cache clearing does not help. My sim is almost entirely made of mesh. If anyone with a Macintosh can check out my sim at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Surco/136/128/31 and let me know how it runs for them, that would be great. Furthermore if someone with a decent Windows PC wants to check it out and throw in their two sense that would be great as well, because I've never had a complaint from someone with a decent Windows PC.

Alright, so no one ever complains about my sim running slow. It's very high detail and does have a ton of prims, but the script usage doesn't normally exceed 70,000 Kb usage. In the past 10 minutes, I just had two people who didn't even know eachother complain that my sim isn't built efficiently and it runs too slow. After inquiring, I learned both of these people are in fact running on Macintosh computers. Normally, I'd shun that as I am an avid PC user myself. After furthing inquiring I learned they're both running very new Macbooks with 16 GB of ram and ~2.6 GHz I7's with very decent 1 GB Nvidia graphics cards. I was even informed by one of them, their frame rate is as low as 4 FPS. I have instructed one of them to clear their cache as I write this, but I doubt it's going to have an effect, I'll keep this post updated on if it does or if it doesn't. They are also running Firestorm viewer and I have instructed them to resort back to the default viewer if the cache clearing does not help. My sim is almost entirely made of mesh. If anyone with a Macintosh can check out my sim at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Surco/136/128/31 and let me know how it runs for them, that would be great. Furthermore if someone with a decent Windows PC wants to check it out and throw in their two sense that would be great as well, because I've never had a complaint from someone with a decent Windows PC.

I will take a look when I get home. I will say that clearing cache never fixes performance issues as all your clinging is forcing everything to download again. The two things I find lag my viewer, any viewer on my PC, are waterfalls and grass. In most nicely designed regions I can get around 30-40 fps on ultra. Looking straight at waterfalls and large areas of grasses tends to cut that in half or more. They are just complex to render. When I turn away, fps goes right back up. These frame rate drops are unavoidable unless you take great care not to use the types of things that cause the drops.

I will update this later this evening.

I’m not sure what is happening in the region. With a Windows machine (7 + GTX560) I find that during texture loading I run 12 FPS and once things load about 24. I did have my draw distance up at 256.

The region is very ‘jerky’. I get good frame rates but turning is difficult. This usually indicates lots of texture downloads are starting as they come into view. Ctrl-Shift-3 shows each turn starts 2 or 3 dozen textures decompressing. That is going to slow anyone down. But, I doubt to the point of 4fps.

This was only 2 people reporting the problem. Salt that and have some other people test it out.

You could improve performance by combining textures for several items and using the composite textures as much as possible. There are lots of small textures, 32x32, 64x64, etc. If you could combine those into a single texture, you could redice the number items to download and for the GPU to manage.

i stopped by and let everything load up. My machine is pretty well situated with Sl with highend i7, GTX 760 and 32 GB of RAM.  Framerates during texture loading dropped into the low teens. My DD is 160 and once things loaded it went back up to around 30 on Ultra. I also saw a lot of jerkiness as I walked around, but other than a couple of times didnt see frame rates suffer. If I stand and look away frrom the center of the region my fps goes above 30 to between 33 - 37.

I am on windows 8.1 so can't comment on MAC, but it does seem to run ok on Windows.

I dropped by and had a look. Went below 20 on loading and 25-50 when walking around. (Thats low for my standard settings most sims are 30-60+) Feels a bit jumpy when looking around. It's definitely a heavy load sim. Insilico is still more heavy though, maybe take a look and compare.

I don't see the relation to mac though. I tested some viewers lately and noticed that some of teh 64bit viewers have ultra low performance on heavy sims except newest firestorm64 on windows. Singularity64 on linux runs well too but not on windows. All 32bit viewers performed well - the #1 is the LL viewer.
That are only my observations. Can be completely different on different computers and settings. I use all possible options: ultra, shadows, 256m, windlight, AA+AF. (Some WL settings can lower the fps if they have fog)

I don't know the viewer quality on mac's. Maybe there is a problem but you need more reports here. 2 aren't enough.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3611 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.