Who to contact about a feature

falney Finney

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi

I am currently working on an experience with the beta tools but LSL does not cover everything I need. Most things I can cover through HTTP comms but there is something I need that neither can provide. 

I am considering building a TPV and a patch to apply to other viewers to run along side the experience to enable the features I require. 

Before put the time and attention into completing this though, I would like to know if LL is working on implementing it into SL and whether it would be breaking the ToS for creating TPV's.

I apologise for not saying what it is I wish to create, but if I can create it, I dont want some one beating me to the punch because this could potentially lead onto creating and profiting from an API to allow other creaters to use the system. 

I have looked for the Second Life and Linden Labs contact information and found nothing that I feel would be directly relevent to this query. How would be best to contact them? Baring in mind I dont want to make this feature public yet. 

Thanks

Falney

falney Finney wrote:

Hi

I am currently working on an experience with the beta tools but LSL does not cover everything I need. Most things I can cover through HTTP comms but there is something I need that neither can provide. 

I am considering building a TPV and a patch to apply to other viewers to run along side the experience to enable the features I require. 

Before put the time and attention into completing this though, I would like to know if LL is working on implementing it into SL and whether it would be breaking the ToS for creating TPV's.

I apologise for not saying what it is I wish to create, but if I can create it, I dont want some one beating me to the punch because this could potentially lead onto creating and profiting from an API to allow other creaters to use the system. 

I have looked for the Second Life and Linden Labs contact information and found nothing that I feel would be directly relevent to this query. How would be best to contact them? Baring in mind I dont want to make this feature public yet. 

Thanks

Falney

LL will not pay you for a feature.. And if it is implemented into a viewer, users would not have to pay for it. TPV devs work for free.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

falney Finney wrote:

Hi

Thanks

Falney

LL will not pay you for a feature.. And if it is implemented into a viewer, users would not have to pay for it. TPV devs work for free.

Ummm, it costs to download Lumiya for Android.  ;)

But to correct a misconception you do not need to be on an approved list to develop an "alternate viewer" nor are we restricted from using a Viewer that is not on the list.

What that Viewer cannot do is interfere with any functionality or security protocol in SL.  That could (and probably would) result in the banning  of any one using it.

Someone else would need to answer copyright and licensing questions about any proprietary features you might add to your Viewer.  It sounds like you want to add a feature but not give it away for free.  You may need the advise of an attorney about that.  As I pointed out, we do need to purchase Lumiya and LL has not objected to that and it is on the TPV list.

I seriously doubt LL will implement a new feature for one person's product and I doubt any developer would use your patch for the same reason, even if you made it available for free. 

On the other hand if other developers could take advantage of it and it was a big improvement of some sort, they may consider it.  However it won't happen overnight.

You are free to develop your own viewer as the code is open source.  However there are rules you must follow which may be a deal breaker for you.  Read more here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Open_Source_Portal

You are not going to get a list of the things they are working on. The Lab just does not provide anyone that information.

You can file a feature request in the SL JIRA. You can make it private so only you and Lindens can read it. But, don't expect a quick answer.

An alternative is to email Oz Linden. You would need to explain in detail what you want to do, why, how, and your development plans. It needs to be well written. A short or vague note is not going to cut it. In it you can ask if there is anything they have in the pipeline that would help your project. You might get an answer. You are more likely to get a response to a question of whether they are interested in adding features you create from your project.

You might also contact Geenz Spad for information on how he works with the Lindens. He is working on adding reflections to the SL system. A number of third part developers are working with the Lindens adding features all the time. They can all help you learn how to work with the Lab.

You may want to contact other viewer developers, like Jessica Lyon of Firestorm, to see what she thinks the probability is of the Lab being interested in you ideas and whether your idea is something they would want to add to Firestorm.

There are developers that would steal your ideas. But, I doubt any of the developers of viewers listed in the Third Party Viewer page would. The developers of Firestorm, Singularity, Cool VL, RLV... all seem to be pretty good people.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.