Where is the MANDATORY update INFORMATION?

Fieger Difference

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Where does LL post the information on the MANDATORY update I must make?

I know it's fun for the average user to dig thru forum and site maps trying to find ANY information from the company that is forcing us to reset everything ~  but for those of us who would like to read about the reasons we are going to waste an entire day fixing every preference and re-learning all the menu commands and placings that were changed because WHEEEEE let's change things: what is the URL where I can read about this first?

Because it wasn't obvious on the download page

or pinned to the top of the forum

or at the top of the answers page

or at the top of the knowledge base

or in the blog

where someone who isn't as cool and hip as LL might have placed it, on the day they forced their users to eat it start over.

Viewer Support Policy

As described in the March 2009 blog post, our policy is to support the two newest Second Life Viewer versions, and the last released Second Life Beta Viewer. For example: Second Life Viewer versions 3.2.8 and 3.2.6, and the latest Second Life Beta Viewer (v3.3.1).

Deprecation Policy

Because Linden Lab supports only the current version and one version back, sixty (60) days after the release of a new official Viewer, older Second Life Viewer versions are likely to be deprecated. At that time, Residents attempting to log in using a deprecated version will be required to update to the newest Second Life Viewer. Should you wish to use a supported Viewer other than the newest one, download links have been provided below.

Image3.jpg

my version of the LL viewer seems to be

Second Life version 3.6.4.280048

So it's still "current". which means I guess that there is some "urgent security issue" ...

it took me two tries to find the 3.6.13 version the download manager said I needed ~  (buried in the middle of the page between 3.6.1 and 3.6.2 ... and not at the the top or bottom... just underlining my point that LL needs to make their system more intuitive for those of us less literate in computer counting) ~ and I didn't really see anything relating to Mac users that was in the release notes or resolved issues. oh well. I suppose I can trust they didn't change the UI for change's sake.

and yeah... there are those of us who don't adapt to the "new" as easily. At least this isn't nearly as bad as itunes!

So no, the ranting didn't help that much. :P but thanks for the URL.

Fieger Difference wrote:

my version of the LL viewer seems to be

Second Life version 3.6.4.280048

So it's still "current". which means I guess that there is some "urgent security issue" ...

That version was released in August.

it took me two tries to find the 3.6.13 version the download manager said I needed ~  (buried in the middle of the page between 3.6.1 and 3.6.2 ... and not at the the top or bottom...

Just where it should be since they're in numbered order... :smileyfrustrated:

Is the 3.6.13 version not on the download page?

... I didn't really see anything relating to Mac users that was in the release notes or resolved issues. oh well. I suppose I can trust they didn't change the UI for change's sake.

The latest viewer includes all fixes and new features that were included in previous releases. A lot has happened since August...

The Lab has repeatedly said they would not block it. I would suspect a server or network problem and try again later.

There are changes that are rendering the 1.23 viewer so obsolete as to be unusuable. Soon some API's will be taken out of service and more parts if the viewer will not function.

Mandatory update notices appear on the splash screen of the viewer, Just try to login and you'll get the notice, if you need to update.

The easy way to handle the update is to enable automatic updates. Otherwise just download and install the main viewer from the SL download page. Install over the previous install.

There are no longer beta version viewers. There is the main viewer and on that download page a bit farther down is a link to beta viewers... the link is mislabeled. It leads to the Release Candidate viewers and Project viewers page.

RC versions are supposedly better than beta versions. One can still get beta versions from the code repositories. But, if you are not a developer, the Lab would rather you didn't and while not hiding the information they do not make it easy to find.

In general you can ignore the idea of manditory updates. The Lab will inform you when you need to update by a splash screen notice or if you have autmatic updates on, do it for you. In the later case you get a more subtle notice often while in world asking you restart to allow updating. You can ignore that message and the viewer will update at the next login.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.