Whats going to happen to people who are stuck windows XP

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3487 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a friend who just a couple of weeks ago got a new machine. Before she was on XP. She used Singularity and had no problems. It is likely that many of the third party viewers will still work for you -- especially those based on the 1.23 viewer model. Give one of them a try.

I have one old computer running, which had (and still has) XP as operating system. I stopped using XP years ago though and installed Linux on the same machine. On startup I can choose between XP (too lazy to delete it) and Linux. So if you want to keep using or have to keep using XP (with all its security issues), you could do the same. I don't use it for SL, but SL is installed and last time I checked it worked just fine, if I'm not mistaken I have Singularity on that machine.

It's a computer from 2006-2009, AMD Athlon X2 6000+, NVidia EN9600GT, 6GB. Medium graphics aren't an issue. So if your computer is anywhere near that, you should be able to run SL just fine.

EDIT.. Linux isn't as scary as it sounds :)

It's not what OP said, Jeanie, he just said »stuck XP«. Pay more attention, please. :smileytongue: I guess what he meant to tell us is that he doesn't have the necessary imaginative power to get the idea to toss his Microsh@t crap and get himself a decent beginer friendly Linux or at least a TPV like Singularity.

ZombieHunter Criss wrote:

stuff around me turn black and them moments later i crash out of SL

It's quite clear your hadware is showing its age, coz that sounds like your GPU is in serious trubbels. A thorough cleaning might give it a bit longer life but all in all I guess your computer's gotta serve you better as a doorstop. Put a nice Linux on it and use it as a home server or give it to your kids, parents, grannny, needy persons.

Maybe radagast, at least for some basics? It actually does a certain amount of visual stuff I think, but not much motion and not really what SL looks like. It is just enough to help you get some stuff done in the meantime as you work towards a better solution. I don't know if it runs on XP, it has been a while since I checked it out.

Android phone? Lumina, once again you can find it in the TPV section of the wiki AND on the google play marketpalce. Not sure about the other third party marketplaces. Lumina is a few dollars, but seems like it is a good bet and there is another for android as well!I can't remember the iphone one, if you have an iphone. It is on the TPV page though!You might want to look into learning how to install and use Ubuntu, linux mint or another linux based system. I would watch some videos on how to install, people doing tasks and maybe ask a question or two of linux users here.

Linux is not so easy, they say it is and for some it will be. But, some people get stressed when they see words and jargon, but these are the proper words and they need to use them because they have a more complex task to do sometimes. Why? Well, windows used to wip ethe whole drive, if all linux distro's did this and had all drivers available for thier system from manufacturers then this would be easy for ubuntu and ubuntu could be exactly as easy as windows to install.

But, people want ot keep the windows system, and linux sometimes has what is called a "swap" partition for memory. In windows it is called "virtual memory" and usually it is automatically asigned and you hear about it when you run out of memory space. Linux many times makes you think about this before hand, not a big deal and it is like switching from mac to windows and vise versa...but basicaly harder because no one made you burn a CD to install windows! Not just burn a CD like a music CD, nope. It is a .iso file and must be burned as one, so you need to find out if you CD burning software does this and get a free download from somewhere (your fav one, maybe softpedia or that one with cows in it's name, tucows?) and uh...yeah, a few mores steps than just getting it out of a box. Unless...

The easy way to get Linux based OS? Get a CD/DVD through the mail OR buy a preinstalled Ubuntu machine.

Poenald Palen wrote:

Linux is not so easy, they say it is and for some it will be. But, some people get stressed when they see words and jargon, but these are the proper words and they need to use them because they have a more complex task to do sometimes. Why? Well, windows used to wip ethe whole drive, if all linux distro's did this and had all drivers available for thier system from manufacturers then this would be easy for ubuntu and ubuntu could be exactly as easy as windows to install.

It's been a while, but that's not how I remember things. Besides, if the OP "is stuck on XP", I'd say a dual boot is preferred over a wiped (I assume you meant wiped not wipped) hard drive.

The download is in iso format, so you do need to have the software for that, but aquiring that isn't exactly rocket science. The only problem I ever had with my Mint 13 was the lack of driver support for my wireless adapter, so I had to replace that. Video drivers are available through the "start menu" (can I call it that you Linux freaks? :)). SL itself doesn't even need to be installed, it runs just fine from the download folder.

Linux is a bit different from Windows, but I don't think it's "not so easy" at all. Just stay away from that scary terminal.

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Poenald Palen wrote:

It's been a while, but that's not how I remember things. Besides, if the OP "is stuck on XP", I'd say a dual boot is preferred over a wiped (I assume you meant wiped not wipped) hard drive.

The download is in iso format, so you do need to have the software for that, but aquiring that isn't exactly rocket science. The only problem I ever had with my Mint 13 was the lack of driver support for my wireless adapter, so I had to replace that. Video drivers are available through the "start menu" (can I call it that you Linux freaks?
:)
). SL itself doesn't even need to be installed, it runs just fine from the download folder.

Linux is a bit different from Windows, but I don't think it's "not so easy" at all. Just stay away from that scary terminal.

You'll never learn Linux  correctly if you stay away from the "scary" terminal.

Sticking to graphical aplications only is the windows way ( stay on the surface, not knowing what really is happening and not wanting to know). It's liek never opening teh hood of your car, cause you are not interrested in the things that are underneath and one day ending up with a seized engine due to a lack of engine oil/ coolant.

The terminal often is a more convenient way to get things done even.

Example: Before I dig through the 'start'  menu to start a graphical software installation and upgrade programme, I just open a terminal and tyle a short : sudo pacman -Syyu, confirm with my password and my system will perform all available package upgrades.

All Mints and other *buntus I used in my life destroyed themselves at some day during some obscure upgrade of  ubuntu modified packages without being able to downgrade teh packages again.

My oldest Manjaro has been running for almost 2 years now by the way without any need for a reinstallation, it just runs and runs and runs very stable and reliable and I expect it to do the same for a much longer period of time. And if one upgraded package will turn teh system unuseable, I simply downgrade it with Manjaro's/Arch's pacman package manager, try the same with *buntu's apt-get package manager...

J.

You didn't say why you are stuck on Windows XP. If it is money or legacy software you need then you really are not stuck with XP. You are just choosing to stay with it. We can't help you with your choices.

Duel booting with Linux and XP is doable and easy.

If this is a money issue, about the best you can do is a desktop Win7 system from ebay for $150.

XP has the highest SL crash rate going, no matter which viewer you use. Your problems are going to get worse with time. 

Linux will use older hardware and run well.

To answer your question, what will happen to those staying with XP... Linden Lab has no plan to block XP from the grid. When SL2 arrives it will likely refuse to install on XP. New SL Viewers and some third party viewers refuse to install on an XP systems lacking SP3. Expect that install restriction to eventually include all XP systems regardless of update status. You just won't be able to install or update a viewer.

There are rumors the Vista and Win7 are targeted by Microsoft for the same treatment XP got. If they are true we will see things start to go into place in 2015 when Windows 10 comes out.

Expect more and more of SL1 not to work with viewers taht can run on Windows XP or work so poorly you won't want to visit SL.

The future is that eventually you will not be able to access SL1 and you will probably never be able to access SL2. The Lab is not going to spend their limited time and budget supporting systems that have a smaller and smaller user base and require a disporotionate share of their resources to support. So, it isn't going to happen. You will have to change or give up things to avoid changing.

Jean Horten wrote:

Sticking to graphical aplications only is the windows way ( stay on the surface, not knowing what really is happening and not wanting to know). It's liek never opening teh hood of your car, cause you are not interrested in the things that are underneath and one day ending up with a seized engine due to a lack of engine oil/ coolant.

The terminal often is a more convenient way to get things done even.

I would be lying if I'd say I never use the terminal. But Orca seems to do well without. And I bet I could have done without.

Most people don't know and absolutely do not want to know what's under the hood. Even my 30+ year old car has warning lights....

ETA.. if you want to completely understand windows, you'll have to learn how to use the command line btw, in windows you can't point and click for all the fancy stuff either.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3487 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.