What's so amazing about v1??!

Greene Paine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Seriously, I don't get it. Could someone maybe explain in clear terms exactly what it is about v1 they like so much? I realize v2 has a sidebar ... v1 doesn't. Umm .... v1 has a pie chart clicky thing, v2 uses a menu.  ...   .... v1 has more .... blue? 

I mean I understand all the cool things TPV like Firestorm add (named crosshairs, chat radius, zoom to avatar, etc...) but what is so intangible about a v1 like Pheonix that it can't be ported to Firestorm??

In other words ... how much would you need to change a v1 viewer before it lost its v1ness, likewise how much would you need to add to a v2 to gain v1ness?

Also a note to Lindens ... why don't you open your eyes and actively absorb the innovation of the TPVs into the main viewer? Seriously guys. How long would it take to add a freekin' chat range circle on the minimap??

If I'm not completely bonkers, I seem to remember that the purpose of TPV in the first place was to allow for rapid improvement in the SL viewer by allowing the open source community to improve it. So yeah .... were improving it ... now freekin' add it already. >.<

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the functionality of the V2/3 is just "clunky"  Firestorm with edits to make it more Phoeniz like is a bit better but the chat/im interface is still V2 and I personally think it is just flat out annoying. It is not the "different "that I dislaike  it is the methods of access and usage.  The new multiple layers and tats, the add function, the outfits are alll great features but it is still just clunky to use

i'm curious where all the extra clicks are that everyone talks about..maybe it's that i use firestorm and we have pie ..i know without pie i clicked a lot..but besides that i don't notice the extra clicks..

was that where they were..where there was no pie?

omg now i want pie..

v1 works. When looking at all the problems listed to JIRA and hearing people complain about this and that being broken in v2/3 im in no mood to start using it yet. Maybe in 2 to 4 years it will be as good as v1.

v1 has features i have not found from v2/3 yet.

The UI is still pretty insane in v2/3. Still need bazillion clicks to do things i can do with one or 2 in v1.

And im not using TPVs for the same reasons LL employees are forbidden to use them. So i will use v1 untill v2/3 has the same stability and functionality of v1.

Ceka Cianci wrote:

i'm curious where all the extra clicks are that everyone talks about..maybe it's that i use firestorm and we have pie ..i know without pie i clicked a lot..but besides that i don't notice the extra clicks..

omg now i want pie..

One that springs to mind is...Sending someone an item.

V1= Open profile, drag/drop item.

V2= Open profile, click actions, click share, get redirected to an IM box, drag/drop item.

mmmmm pie =^^= Nahm Nahm Nahm =^^= :)

Peewee Musytari wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

omg now i want pie..

V2= Open profile, click actions, click share, get redirected to an IM box, drag/drop item.

mmmmm pie =^^= Nahm Nahm Nahm =^^=
:)

Good grief I had no idea! 

That is really shocking.

Peewee Musytari wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

omg now i want pie..

i can do that in firestorm..open profile and drag and drop..

V1? V2?

V3 rocks!..Same nice interface as V2, possible to create prims up to 64x64x64, for those who are interested possible to upload meshes and able to see mesh creations inworld and probably more. And i still don't miss the V1 blue menu's and dialogs....

Let me address this paragraph by paragraph...

Greene Paine wrote:

Seriously, I don't get it. Could someone maybe explain in clear terms exactly what it is about v1 they like so much? I realize v2 has a sidebar ... v1 doesn't. Umm .... v1 has a pie chart clicky thing, v2 uses a menu.

.... v1 has more .... blue?

Yay for pie.  Blue is beautiful.

Greene Paine wrote:

I mean I understand all the cool things TPV like Firestorm add (named crosshairs, chat radius, zoom to avatar, etc...) but what is so intangible about a v1 like Pheonix that it can't be ported to Firestorm??

The interface... that's the main problem with the official V2.  Firestorm does a lot to take that sad song and make it better.

Greene Paine wrote:

In other words ... how much would you need to change a v1 viewer before it lost its v1ness, likewise how much would you need to add to a v2 to gain v1ness?

The two shall never achieve oneness.

Greene Paine wrote:

Also a note to Lindens ... why don't you open your eyes and actively absorb the innovation of the TPVs into the main viewer? Seriously guys. How long would it take to add a freekin' chat range circle on the minimap??

Don't hold your breath.

Greene Paine wrote:

If I'm not completely bonkers, I seem to remember that the purpose of TPV in the first place was to allow for rapid improvement in the SL viewer by allowing the open source community to improve it. So yeah .... were improving it ... now freekin' add it already. >.<

You're just completely bonkers... lol.

Seriously, LL does implement TPV innovations.  Unfortunately, the only thing they are good at doing quickly is releasing half-baked software, then expecting it's user base to not only deal with it, but help them figure out how to fix it.  I'm sure there's a plaque somewhere in the LL offices with something close to that engraved on it, only slightly better worded.

...Dres

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Peewee Musytari wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

omg now i want pie..

i can do that in firestorm..open profile and drag and drop..

Did you know that you don't even have to open a profile in Firestorm?  I only figured this out the other day... you can actually drag and drop into an IM with someone to give them an item.  I think that's pretty cool.

I have no idea if V2 has that functionality... I never use it.

...Dres

Six Igaly wrote:

V3 rocks!..Same nice interface as V2

From what I've heard V3 this is not different enough from V2 to merit the new version number.  Having never used it myself, I can't say.  But I'm wondering what your thoughts are on that... or anyone's who knows.

...Dres

Edited to change a word.

Well i guess in this case because of the mesh thing and abillity to make larger prims it now became V3. But i don't know to much about numbering...and the use of it..it might as well was still V1 (1.9.8.33) if it was up to me :matte-motes-sarcasm:

Much to the obvious surprise of most Users here, drag & drop into IM's works perfectly in Viewer 2!  :)

It's allways astounding how little people know about something they judge!

And why people like this cumbersome and disturbing Piemenu is and allways will be beyond me. For decades every piece of software has a right-click drop-down menu, so why should i use something different here ?

ps: nothing personal Dresden, you just were the best to reply to :)  

In the "olden days" I worked in a typing pool. Some people preferred Adler, others Olympia, and some preferred IBM (which I found too clunky and slow).

People's preference for V1, V2, V3, Firestorm, Phoenix, etc., is just that, personal preference. It's what you get used to.

I preferred an Olympia, but it was not the end of the world if I had to use an IBM.

I prefer to use Phoenix, but it won't be the end of the world if I have to use V2.

For me, for what my opinion is worth,  basic V1, as opposed to Phoenix, is horrendously dull to use now. I look for my radar list, I try to go to different heights quickly without rezzing a prim, and ... well, V1 looks like it has had it's day. V2, for me, just has an ugly interface, dark, dismal, depressing, like looking through a letterbox on a rainy day. Firestorm and V3, not had time to look at either just yet. (Like saving the best chocolates until last maybe, and hoping they don't turn out to be hard caramels.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.