Weird new login buttons 3.7.17 10/06/2014 update

Pussycat Catnap

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I got the update last night - it was so weird looking I went back to the SL site to make sure my Mac hadn't just been hacked...

4 of them, with one hidden?

I do see in the release notes that this is, I think, some planned thing. But I do not comprehend the UI / Design intent behind confusing me with 'which of these am I supposed to click?' ...

I also wonder why it moved to the top of the screen - was this to prevent it from being 'off screen' on smaller resolutions? It seems to me if you have your viewer scaled bigger than your monitor resolution - you will have bigger issues than just "where is the login button(s)?"

- and the solution to that is to prevent such scaling unless the user has specifically set their configuration to allow it.

Coby Foden wrote:

One "Log In" button was perfectly enough for me. :smileyhappy:

I don't quite understand what has been the "bright" idea with these four separate login buttons. :matte-motes-frown:

Reason I like it is that I have started to log in so many times while failing to check where I was set to log in to first.

I haven't upgraded yet so my opinion could still change.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

I don't quite understand what has been the "bright" idea with these four separate login buttons. :matte-motes-frown:

Reason I like it is that I have started to log in so many times while failing to check where I was set to log in to first.

Ok then, now you have to think "Hmm.. what button to click... let's see... (0. O )".  :smileyvery-happy: :smileywink:

Coby Foden wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Ok then, now you have to think "Hmm.. what button to click... let's see... (0. O )".  :smileyvery-happy: :smileywink:

Sometimes I need all the help I can get!  :D

It means you are far less likely to make a mistake logging in to a place you didn't want to. Though if you are in a sort of autopilot mode, you will still click the button you have clicked over and over. Sad, but not sure. Maybe the menu thingy was causing crashing, so they canned it to bring about more stability? Not sure, usually widgets are stable, but this isn't a windows widget is it? It is most likely generated from LL code and I know sometimes the slider buttons don't load up in the preference window. A few other GIU hiccups may be around as well, I am half way used to things not working so smoothly with certain parts of the viewer, it is not just LLs viewer and may be my aging PC. :(

Coby Foden wrote:

according to what I read on the blogs LL said in the beta period that this login screen improve their download and immediate retention rate for new accounts by about 4-5%

i think that meant there was a improvement in the numbers of new people who actual logged in after downloading bc was more clear to them how to actual log in and go places

irihapeti wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

according to what I read on the blogs LL said in the beta period that this login screen improve their download and immediate retention rate for new accounts by about 4-5%

i think that meant there was a improvement in the numbers of new people who actual logged in after downloading bc was more clear to them how to actual log in and go places

Can the middle Log-In button can show more than "My Home"? Is that for a list of favorites?

If not, it's silly to have a drop down. These alternatives make more sense to me...

login.jpg

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Can the middle Log-In button can show more than "My Home"? Is that for a list of favorites?

yes I think so as I remember. is a setting in Prefs that will put your Favs in that dropdown. Is off by default bc when enabled is visible to others who maybe use your computer

The log-in updates have been in experimental and RC viewers for some time. They are a part of various new user A/B testing the Lab has been conducting over several months.

The new layout has - according to the Lab - seen an increase in retention among new users of between 3 and 5 percent for those channel through a sign-up process which leads to a download of the viewer with the updated log-in splash screen, when compared to those using the sign-up process that leads them to a viewer using the "old" log-in splash screen, 

There may be further updates to the log-in screen coming in the future, according to Grumpity Linden.

I provided an overview of the new log-in screens when the experimental viewer first made a public appearance, and again when it reached RC.

Comments on the apparent effectiveness of the new log-in screen design can be found in my project update report from the Friday September 12th TPV meeting.

Just what I was going to say...

The Lindens are planning to add more Changes to the viewer login UI. They are still running A-B testing on various features. If they keep that up and move into A-B testing of new user landing areas, we may actually see player retention increasing.

I haven't decided if showing Grid Status is a good or confusing thing. But, I do think some kind of status thing is needed. Every Tuesday and Wednesday I answer a number of 'why can't I login' questions in the Forums Answers. So, there should probably we a Grids Restarting warning of some kind...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.