Weird disconnects when not moving for a while.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well, this problem has been haunting me for a long while now, so I'm going to slap a bunch of info here that'll hopefully help as this just keeps happening and no one has an idea why so far. To note, it seems to have to do with the modem as I'm on the same product of internet now at a difference address, and again it happens. The problem seemed to show up less when on Wi-Fi, on wire it now seems happen within a minute of giving no input. (Walking, turning around...) Turning into a real show stopper. (JIRA's been made now.) Anyway, some info:

ISP: KPN Internet.

Modem Brand: Arcadyan Model: VGV7519

Firmware Version: 02.00.124 (Possibly custom firmware by KPN Internet, Netherlands.)

Connection is Fibre Optics with 100/100 MBit. Modem Firewall is disabled using Windows Firewall only.

Computer is connected through a 1,000 MBit Cat 5e LAN cable. (Twisted, Shielded.) Fibre connection to modem is Cat 6.

Last known working setup.

ISP: Telfort Internet.

Modem Brand: Zyxel Model: P-2602H-D3A

ZyNOS Firmware Version: V3.40(AOA.7)b1 | 6/18/2012 DSL Firmware Version: TI AR7 07.03.01.00

Connection is ADSL2+ with 20/1 MBit. Modem Firewall was also disabled using Windows Firewall only.

Computer was connected through a 100 MBit Cat 5e LAN cable. (Twisted, Shielded.) Phone line to modem was less than a meter long.

Last but not least, some small screenshots of the Debug Console, a log, and also providing the JIRA: 

Log 1

Log 2

Log 3

JIRA - Doesn't seem to be accessible yet, is this due to being marked as Awaiting Review?

SecondLife.log

Now I'm not thát technical, I just happen to know how to find this info, anyway, the last line seems to mention port 13015, if I check the Wiki for which ports could be forwarded for Second Life, the only one that seems to match is used for Voice... (UDP 12000-29999) Which wouldn't make sense, at least I imagine Voice would fail, not the connection to Second Life. I'm probably just guessing here but this problem is making me pull my hair out as to what is causing it...

Perhaps trying to add Second Life.exe to the list of allowed programs of your Windows Firewall might help ?

( Configuratiescherm --> Systeem en beveiliging --> Windows Firewall -->Toegestane programma's )

Maybe also check if your router allows pings ( but that shouldn´t be needed )

Sadly adding Second Life and its components to the Firewall list did not help... :/ Also just to be sure will note any IP address it tries to ping to and fails.

Adding a link to the TXT file containing the IP addresses and ports it tries to write to to the main post, it'll update automatically as it is linked to my Dropbox.

I´d suggest another idea  .. it is a bit technical , but there´s a website to assist you and I think you can manage to set it up yourself.

1. Setup your router for port forwarding and add the specific ports from the wiki and your logs
  2. Try to enable your routers firewall and disable the one in windows, so your modem alone decides which packets are passed or dropped.

If you can´t do it yourself maybe a relative or friend in RL might assist.

The portmapping list should be filled with LAN (local) IPs only and NOT with IPs from sims. ( portforwarding is TO and not FROM).

So it´s rather 10.0.x.x or 192.168.x.x and not an IP like the ones of the sims.

Ah, well in the past I forwarded the ports according to this list, and it did not help, sadly. Meanwhile, I found some newer drivers for my LAN Adapater, it would make sense if it works as I barely had these disconnects on Wi-Fi. But maybe the Internet Gods just hate me. o_o'

Minareth Irata wrote:

Ah, well in the past I forwarded the ports according to 
 list, and it did not help, sadly.

No wonder if you still used the sims IP instead of your local LAN IP.

Minareth Irata wrote:

Meanwhile, I found some newer drivers for my LAN Adapater, it would make sense if it works as I barely had these disconnects on Wi-Fi.

Sure .. give it a try.

Minareth Irata wrote:

But maybe the Internet Gods just hate me. o_o'

Nonsense. There are only daemons and servers on it anyway.

Good luck ... :robotwink:

Minareth Irata wrote:

No no! Local IP's! Sadly, updating the driver did not yield anything either... The part that boggles my mind is that it happens on LAN mostly, but very rarely on WLAN... 

Oh ... :robotindifferent:

Hmmmh ... I´d be kinda paranoid by now and start checking cables ... but I guess all are new .. perhaps connector issues .. is everything plugged in ok ... perhaps just a router reset .... LAN settings in BIOS of PC perhaps .. Is network card on board or a card in a slot of PC and is it plugged in right ...

but now I´m just guessing ...  .. very odd issues you are having ... with fibre optics now your connection should be top notch ... :robotindifferent:

.. i´m calling it a night tho.

Goodnight.

Well, switched back to Wi-Fi again, it lags an awful lot sadly as there are a lot of cables in this building's walls, but haven't had a disconnect for an hour, and I'm idling. My Previous internet, which was a different modem, was connected through LAN but did not show these issues. So all seems to point to the modem. :/ Yet, Second Life is the only application I've found so far that shows these issues. (Tried World of Warcraft, Natural Selection 2 Multiplayer, Torrent programs, downloaders, Steam game downloads, all running without so much as a hick-up.)

Ask you fiber optic internet service if you have 'always-on' internet.

I know of one case where the fiber was set up by the technician as 'On-Demand' internet, meaning the internet goes off if you are idle for too long. Other games may work differently, they may transmit data even when you are not doing anything, if so they would not be affected.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.