Viewer for Mac OS Safari 5.0.6

Nio Skytower

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does  Anyone Have The Same Probelm? I Have Two Older Mac Computers That Cannot Support The Hefty Graphics and I'm Happy Using Older Viewers to Log In, But Now I Get These Required Updates, That I Cannot Use. Now I Cannot Even Log In After All Of These Years. Is Linden Labs Wanting to Make People Leave the Game After So Many Years, By Forcing These Mandatory Viewer Updates? Why Can't We Enjoy It on Every Computer and At Our Own Pace? I Don't Need Fancy Graphics to Enjoy My Experience.

I Tried 3rd Party Viewers and They Are Not Supported Either. Does Anyone Have Any Suggestions?

Thanks.

Nio Skytower wrote:

Is Linden Labs Wanting to Make People Leave the Game After So Many Years, By Forcing These Mandatory Viewer Updates?

they've done it before, and they'll do it again. Safari 5.0.6 was on Leopard, and that doesn't meet the system requirements any more.  if you want to squeeze a little more time from really old viewers, see http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/Mandatory-Update-for-Power-PC/m-p/2452747#M22615 but LL won't help you if you have trouble.  oops wrong thread

Nio Skytower wrote:

Does  Anyone Have The Same Probelm? I Have Two Older Mac Computers That Cannot Support The Hefty Graphics and I'm Happy Using Older Viewers to Log In, But Now I Get These Required Updates, That I Cannot Use. Now I Cannot Even Log In After All Of These Years. Is Linden Labs Wanting to Make People Leave the Game After So Many Years, By Forcing These Mandatory Viewer Updates? Why Can't We Enjoy It on Every Computer and At Our Own Pace? I Don't Need Fancy Graphics to Enjoy My Experience.

I Tried 3rd Party Viewers and They Are Not Supported Either. Does Anyone Have Any Suggestions?

Thanks.

Because If Second Life Was Set Up To Run On The Oldest Computers That People Try To Use, People With Newer Computers Would Find Themselves Having To Run At THAT Pace Instead Of Their Own. Now Is That Fair?

Have You Tried Updating Your Mac OS? Because Safari Isn't An Operating System, So Your Title Doesn't Make Any Sense - The Safari Version Doesn't Mean Vinegar To A Rabbit.

Please don't insult me and tell me I do not make sense. And if you can afford a super computer, great for you. Not everyone has the money these days to spend on that. I'm just saying, can't we all enjoy secondlife, you with your awesome computer and me with my older one. So the verdict is you get to stay in the game and I must leave it, because we have different computers with different operating systems.......is that fair?

Nio Skytower wrote:

My OS is MAC OS X 10.5.8 and My Brower is Safari 5.0.6....Does That Make Sense?

Don't worry, that was already clear, because Safari 5.0.6 was for that version of OS X. 

If those Macs have PowerPC in them, I'm sure yu noticed that nobody really makes or updates software for them any more. Yu can use the workaround earlier in the thread to let your viewer bypass the upgrade, but SL is going to get harder and harder to use. You should really start looking at how you can come by a computer that is a little or a lot newer. SL really stopped supporting that architecture back when 2.0 came out, so you have been on borrowed tome for a few years now.

If those Macs have Intel processors in them, make sure they have at least 1 GB of memory. If they don't, you can get the memory for them pretty cheap now. Then, you can put Snow Leopard on them, whoch is also very cheap now. This could buy yu another year or two, but it looks like Apple has already stopped pushing updates for Snow Leopard.

New computers are much, much less expensive than they used to be, it's time.

Hi Nio,

As for the abandonment of old computers, I understand your frustration but also understand that's how the world works. As a Mac user, I know that Linden Lab isn't the only company to do this. Apple does it as well. And though I've heard many complaints about old Macs (68K, PowerPC, etc) gettting left behind, I'm actually impressed with the effort Apple has made to support older machines while making sea changes. Nevertheless, at some point the cost of supporting older computers and operating systems becomes too great and the strings must be cut. I am retiring a 2007 MacBook Pro because I can't run Apple's latest OS and apps on it.

It's possible that Linden Lab believes that users of modest means aren't profitable. That kind of thinking may be short sighted, but LL's myopia is no secret.

ObviousAlt probably has the best solution for you, which is to spoof the viewer into thinking it needn't upgrade.

Good luck.

Nio Skytower wrote:

Please don't insult me and tell me I do not make sense. And if you can afford a super computer, great for you. Not everyone has the money these days to spend on that. I'm just saying, can't we all enjoy secondlife, you with your awesome computer and me with my older one. So the verdict is you get to stay in the game and I must leave it, because we have different computers with different operating systems.......is that fair?

The problem is Leopard. The MacOS has the video drivers written into it. The video drivers in Leopard are so old that it's getting difficult to write a viewer that will run on it and still run at all on new computers - not just "supercomputers" but everyday ones bought from Wal-Mart by sweet little old ladies. New viewers are necessary because there are server changes out now and coming in the future - some that have been requested for years - that won't work on old viewers.

As has been noted, if you have a Mac that has an Intel processor (i.e. built since the beginning of 2006) you can get Snow Leopard for $19.95 - http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Incidentally, my "supercomputer" is over five years old and is covered with scuff marks and coffee stains after being lugged around through four states. But I DO keep my software updated...

Please don't insult me and tell me I do not make sense.

It's not an insult to tell you that your webbrowser has nothing to do with SL viewers. So that info was indeed free of any sense. What would really be helpful would be to give more exact system stats in your opening post. Like processor architecture, operating system, gpu and stufff like that. Then ppl would be able to give you better advice.

Nio Skytower wrote:

Yes, let's dumb down SL so that it can run on typewriters! Who needs things like graphics and textures. Everything should be text based.

While we're at it, let's ditch LED lights for wall mounted torches. Advancement is for mean people with super-mega-rich-people-computers, those meanie faces.

Hi, you might try the Imprudence Viewer if your Mac is Intel based. This could be light-weight enough to still run on your system. Obviously, the Imprudence viewer is missing mesh, server side baking and a number of other features. So your world will look odd depending on where you move. 

Also, from the Apple Menu, look at About This Mac, and tell us which system you have (model, processor, memory and graphics card) and it might be easier to guide you.  Cheers!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.