To use hardware skinning or not to.

lucagrabacr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well guys, I read that using hardware skinning would put the loads off my CPU and put it on my GPU instead, and I do get a lot of frame rate improvement with it turned on.

But the problem is, I actually notice that my CPU temperature sometimes get a bit higher with hardware skinning turned on, my GPU temperature also got higher, but I guess it's normal for the GPU temperature to rise since it supposed to transfer the load from my CPU to my GPU, right? But why the CPU temperature also got higher?

So, should I use it or not? 

lucagrabacr wrote:

Well guys, I read that using hardware skinning would put the loads off my CPU and put it on my GPU instead, and I do get a lot of frame rate improvement with it turned on.

But the problem is, I actually notice that my CPU temperature sometimes get a bit higher with hardware skinning turned on, my GPU temperature also got higher, but I guess it's normal for the GPU temperature to rise since it supposed to transfer the load from my CPU to my GPU, right? But why the CPU temperature also got higher?

So, should I use it or not? 

I'm guessing the CPU temperature went up because when you use hardware skinning it removes a bottleneck from the system allowing everything to run faster, so both the GPU and CPU are working harder. As long as the temperatures aren't abnormally high it shouldn't be a problem.

Default setting is on.

If you turn it off you loose Advanced Lighting.

Run Open Hardware Monitor with CPU load GPU Load CPU temperature GPU temperature in the graph.

Mess around with the settings and make a comparison see what is happening with temperature and load.

I wouldn't be looking at the temperature so much unless either CPU or GPU load are way up into 80%+

I would look at the load on the CPU and GPU. As long as the GPU isn't running really high I would use Hardware skinning but if the GPU is high and the CPU is comparatively low then probably turn it off, You can always turn it back on if you want the lighting for pictures or something.

The temperature of your CPU going up can have different reasons.. for example if your GPU is heating up, so will most likely your case temperature which in turn makes it harder for your cpu cooler to give off it's heat to it's surroundings thus raising the temperature on your CPU. With some good case cooling this offcourse not be the case (no pun intended).

• 1 year later...

I just disabled it as my client was bloody awful, feeling like 2-5 fps. Suddenly, when I disabled it, tada! More like 40-50 fps, but I think its more that it disabled advanced lighting, as this has the same effect, so its hard to tell if it was this feature in particular...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.