Chelsea Malibu

Re: Test Out New Search, Delivering More Relevant, Faster Results

[ Edited ]

Reply to Blondin Linden - view message

I'll go check it out tonight and download Viewer 2.  Most advanced users are not using the LL viewer but I'm very interested to see what it's like these days.

One question I have (well a few but the sort of revolve around this) is that it says "assigns a numerical weighting to each element of a hyperlinked set of documents," regarding the Google Search Algorithm.  If this is the same algorithm how does it view Hyperlinked Sets?

Another question I have is with the "relevance" on multi word searched. Google has long since moved from the need to post "quotes" around multi word indexing though it seems the SL search sometimes needs it and sometimes does not. It seem to shift from month to month. I am hoping this has been addressed since very few users even know that they need to do that for multi-word searches.

Yoki Enoch
Topics: 1
Blog Posts: 0

Reply to Insky Jedburgh - view message

Insky Jedburgh wrote:

Thank you Cerise. I suspected I was simply missing something since I don't use V2. Now just imagine new users trying to figure that out.

Yeah, that was quite the hoot. Now how many clicks was that to tp to a parcel? I lost count.:matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

Topics: 73

My first impressions are not good. (Like that's a shock, right?)

For example, I used my favorite search term ("teleporters") and find that the classifieds are offering me sex related items .. because my default maturity ratings are GMA. Well, it includes breedable animals and land too. *sigh* (But no Teleporter results that are obvious.)

But my main concern? It's on a much deeper "Meta" issue.

There is virtually no form of viable advertising for businesses in Second Life. Yet the flow of money that keeps Linden Lab's doors open and paychecks bankable comes directly FROM the commerce engine at the core of SL. In recent past, those businesses savvy enough to realize how Search could be employed (leveraged) to improve their business revenue have done so. While some complained and many insults were hurled hither and yon, the simple fact is that those willing to invest the time, effort and money in using Search as a form of advertising .. did so. And they saved their businesses in the process.

"Relevance" is a great form of qualification when you're searching for information, perhaps even when you're wanting a new sight to see. But since time immemorial, commercial systems have shown that advertising is the most effective way to find the sources of products and services.

From my perspective, once again an issue has been "fixed" ... in a way that cripples a tool that was beginning to benefit the businesses that feed life into Second Life. After they killed off "Sightseeing" Sims, after they killed off Educational contributors, after they shut out the sophisticated long-term customer in favor of the Holy Grail "New User" .. I am left wondering what that New User will come to do and see? With Search now being removed as a viable tool for businesses to gain better exposure, I am even further confused.

But then .. what's new?

Contributor
Cerise Sorbet

[ Edited ]

Reply to Yoki Enoch - view message

Yoki Enoch wrote:

Yeah, that was quite the hoot. Now how many clicks was that to tp to a parcel? I lost count.:matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

It was two clicks. You really cannot count to two?

Adding -- I just loaded up a V1 viewer to refresh my memory, and it is the exact same two clicks, one to highlight the search result of interest, and a second to teleport.

Aquarius Paravane

Reply to Lexie Linden - view message

There isn't room in that box to describe all the errors here. I will add my own comment below.

Reply to Yoki Enoch - view message

2 Clicks. One on the link which opens the side panel. And then another on Teleport. Easy as!

Yuriko Nishi

[ Edited ]

this new search has one major problem i can´t really track down.

it happened a few weeks ago on the marketplace too when there was a big change to the search.

in old search when you searched for "fitness" you got some gym and workout related stuff, like expected.

the new search gives you 1976 results (182 in the old search) that mostly have nothing to do with fitness. like furniture, hair, breedable pets etc.

it gives you everything that "fits" into a small parcels, or has a resize script that helps you to "fit" it to your shape, black pants with "fitting" shoes etc...

bad if you wanna sell fitness related stuff like me and get kicked off the search from place 1 into oblivion (and not even by competition, but from completely unrelated stuff! i checked around 25 pages or so)

show stopper imo, but no one cared about the jira i created for the marketplace search, so why am i writing this again? :smileywink:

http://www.dieantwoord.com/
Honored Resident
LuckyCreations

Please either fix the problem where the bottom of the search page is cut off, or allow search to be opened in our web browser. In the Real Estate search, I am unable to select the rest of the preferences for my search, because they are cut off on the bottom of the search window, and I'm pretty sure there should be a mainland choice in the land type section but its probably cut off. The left section of the page isnt scrollable like the right side of the page is.

Capture.PNG

Contributor
Cerise Sorbet

Reply to Yuriko Nishi - view message

Yuriko Nishi wrote:

in old search when you searched for "fitness" you got some gym and workout related stuff, like expected.

the new search gives you 1976 results (182 in the old search) that mostly have nothing to do with fitness. like furniture, hair, breedable pets etc.

Hi, I can see the trouble there. Keywords are matched using stemming, and "fitness" will match "fit". The word "fit" has so many meanings that maybe "fitness" should be excepted from stemming, if the search engine can make exceptions like that!

Dilbert Dilweg

This Video comes to mind when I use new Search

http://front.moveon.org/eli-pariser-filter-bubble-ted-talk/