Test Out New Search, Delivering More Relevant, Faster Results

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I tried out the beta search...

Seriously, is the Lab actually WANTING to force out people with visual disabilities?  Viewer 2 is bad enough with the low contrast text on the buttons, but this new search takes the biscuit, over cluttered results, overcluttered on the right with classified and even more clutter with the filters on the side.  The current V2 search in use is cluttered but at least the text is somewhat readable.

Thanks again for nothing LL...i now see why i cancelled my premium membership at the beginning of this month.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, so far I'm not impressed.  up to this patch, you could find the LSL Scripting Portal in the search because there was a wiki tab.  That is gone, which means there is NO obvious way to find the wiki.  Its like Linden Labs is trying to make it hard for new residents to learn how to make content.  I know this will get ignored, so I just have one thing to say, "Blue Mars"

-Protomas Ludwig 

• 3 weeks later...

Could Search be any more messed up?

There are many problems with Search in V2, posted listings that don't show in search, unable to just search Events or anything else without first putting something in the search field (I just want to search Events, not limit my search by having to put something in the search field)

Here's the latest problem I've found while using Firestorm beta 2;

I am unable to select Moderate and Adult in search, when I click on the ! icon to the right of the Adult selection in Search I get this message;

"Authorization token missing  Oops! We can only give you General search results right now (Error" Authorization Token Missing".  To reset your authorization, please close the Viewer and log back in.  Note:  Third-party viewers may not support Moderate and Adult searching.  For best results, use the current version of the Linden Second Life Viewer."

So, why wouldn't third party viewers support Moderate and Adult search?  Could it be because it is now required that we have to have something called an "Authorization Token"?

"Authorization Token"??? Are you kidding me LL?  I'm already authorized to view Adult content in SL, why do I need an "Authroization Code" to access Moderate and Adult in search? 

Blondin, what's the point of this?  How does an "Authorization Code" make Search any better?

I figure I won't get an answer to this question.  If I do, I'll be curious to hear how spending LL time and money on creating this "Authorization Code" makes our SL experience any better.

I already downloaded V2 just to check Search, it's severely broken, delivering less relevant, slower, and not all, results.

Eio Tuqiri wrote:

[...]
"Authorization token missing  Oops! We can only give you General search results right now (Error" Authorization Token Missing".  To reset your authorization, please close the Viewer and log back in.  Note:  Third-party viewers may not support Moderate and Adult searching.  For best results, use the current version of the Linden Second Life Viewer."

that's generally a symptom of not having cookies, javascript, and plugins enabled for the internal browser, which apparently are all used now for various functions of the search pane.

Thanks Void,  I did an experiment. 

I had javascript and plugins enabled, but not cookies.  I enabled cookies with no change, but reloging allowed the change to take effect, and when I opened search all three Maturity Ratings were enabled.                                                   

I still have a number of problems with Search.                                                                                                                                  

1.  Why would I have to enable cookies to be allowed to check Moderate and Adult listings, when there is no need for cookies to access the General listings?                                                                                                                                            

2.  And as far as I know, they still haven't fixed this problem;  When you try to list an ongoing event daily it is seen as the same event and you can only post every other day.  Also, if you try to list a similer event on the same day, it will be seen as the same event and you will not be allowed to list.                                                                                                                          

This was a huge problem for the Metaverse Music Expo, where lots of shows were not listed in Events because of it.

3.  I still don't understand why LL changed the requirements to list in Events.  Now, I'm only able to list events on the land where I live and work.  I used to be able to list in events for pretty much every live show I played.

Just more reasons why this user doesn't like V2.  I'm thankful for the Phoenix/Firestorm team, who listen to users and give us what we want, and who make the transition to the V2 model less painful.

• 2 weeks later...

I notice that you cite in the video an event listing that does not meet event posting rules, and who repetitively violates those policies on the event calendar.  The rule in question is in the second sentence:

"PLEASE NOTE: Advertisements for commercial products or services will be deleted from the events calendar. "

I would like to know when someone is going to start enforcing the event posting rules.  I am a five and a half year resident who has never once seen the events calendar cleaned up.

Its crap, . Nuff said, Fix it or scrap the whole search engine if your just going to keep changing it to help your friends. Relevancy is just fancy wordsmith, it has nothing to do with content. You know this is the truth so why try to stuff marshmallows where they don't belong?? Put it back, stop wasting time sending people to sims that have no purpose other than the owner has good english skills and married the sister of someone who works for LL

• 1 month later...

loading...............loading............loading........

i can do  1 search, soon i use filters all  locks up and keep  loading loading loading, when i close the screen all graphics dissapear , and i cant  send a feedback or use search anymore untill i reboot, so fo rme  its pretty useless , bu tmaby its server load,  weekelnds always more laggy to  but  im not happy  with it

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.