Some help from the insanity of folders... Hopefully

RipleyVonD

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Being that I'm new I still use, and am comfortable with the LL official viewer. But today I started to feel really burned out because I had created so many folders, and sub folders my mind was having a hard time differentiating between the different files. I was finding it difficult to find the folder I was focused on when I took a model back into my inventory and it didn't end-up where I wanted, and it got worse when working with dozens of models at the same time. There didn't seem to be support for colored folders so I had to comeup with something quick.

So I finally came up with this simple solution. It is working wonders for my stress levels. lol I know everyone is different, I imagine some might breeze through the folders but not me. 

So I put a capital "Z" in my master projects folder to always keep it at the bottom of My Inventory folder, then I added underscore dashes forming a line. I added less underscored lines for sub folders. If your like me you can see how it creates a little bit of order and element for the eyes to seperate. And of course before you upload to your Marketplace you can fix the folder names before you upload. I hope this helps someone else having the same issue.

Three Levels:

Z___________________MASTER FOLDER

____________SUB FOLDER

MAIN FOLDER

FolderInsanity.PNG

People have inventories consisting of 100k items. So, inventory management is a PITA thing in SL.

Your idea is rational and reasonable, but you are going to run into problems as you spend more time in SL. You will espcially run into problems as you experiement with other viewers.

Firestorm, the most popular, and RLV viewers require top level folders for their use. A top level folder being one inside My Inventory. You will start to find folders like #Firestorm, #RLV, and others. So, naming your folders using a # character as the first letter can make things confusing. I suggest you avoid that.

As you open packages they often create a new top level folder. As you get more and more top level folders you soon have to resort to using the RECENT filter to find them. I prefer to keep the number of top level folders to a minimum.

I use a folder named UnChecked and put all new stuff I don't have time to deal with at the moment in it. It naturally sorts toward the bottom of the folder list. That makes it easy to find and move things to. I could use ~ as the first letter to force any folder to the bottom of the list. I have a ~~Temp Hold folder I have done that with.

For clothes I use folders within the SL System Folder Clothes. I have a Dresses Uncheck foler that most new clothes go into until I can make them into an outfit and file them in grouping. I have a Dresses Checked folder and inside that I have dresses in groups; !Fav - the ! sorts to the top, Vintage, Formal, Long, Asian, COnservative Business, etc.

I've been iin SL about 6 years. So, I have old stuff. Now I put in folders named for the year. So, in Dresses Checked->Long I have 2012, 2013, 2014... It makes it easier for me to clean out old stuff. I'll never wear prim and invisa prim shoes again. But, finding them and getting them out of inventory is tedious. 

Some items come into inventory in the My Inventory->Objects folder. Note Card do the same sort of thing. Soon both folders are filled with stuff. I generally sort newest item first. That helps. But, I also try to keep OBjects folder clear of 'items', anything not a folder. I have categories of things and an ~Unchecked folder to move things into I want to deal with later. Otherwise I get them moved into their catagoies.

The inventory limit is 10,000 items per folder. You could have 10k folders in one folder with 10,000 items in each of those folders... 10k x 10k = 100,000,000 items. So for theoretical purposes inventory is almost unlimited. You will however run into perofrmance problems long before you reach such numbers. Not to mention sanity issues...

Oh wow that is alot of stuff. :smileyvery-happy:

I'm so green and I felt stressed out that day. lol I can imagine by the time my inventory gets that huge, hopefully my mind is better adapted. 

That is a very elaborate description of your inventory, a bit overwhelming. I recently thought opening a second inventory window and pinning certain folders sounds like it could be beneficial to content creators. Or maybe dragging out a folder to create another inventory window and pinning the folder contents sound like a really helpful idea. 

It works though, once you find your rhythm.

I'm still reading your post trying to understand all of it. Thats alot of helpfull info, Thanks.

It's good you have started early on thi sbefore your inventory reaches mammoth proportions.

My system is similar to Nalates so i wont reiterate here.

One ofthe biggest sources of Inventory bloat for many people is taking back "copy" objects into inventory that have been rezzed InWorld.  You do have to be careful but I delete.  I don't take bak into inventory.

Another thing you can do that can make a small difference is to hide the Library:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/TNT-Second-Life-Tips-Tricks/QUICKTIP-Hide-the-Library-in-your-inventory/ba-p/658207

(Note, in some viewers like Firestorm you can not do thsi)

I sort of forgot to mention that I planned on using this technique only on current project folders. so I don't eventually end up with tons of awkwardly named folders.

@Perrie Juran

I also do that too, delete items and not drag back into the inventory. Hiding the library is a great tip! Awesome Thanks, I tried a couple of times to drag my project folder under the library folder numerous times but coudn't. I haven't had he need to open the library folder yet.

Also, for performance sake, you can delete Calling Cards from invenotry. Not the folder, but the contents. The Cards update as people login and out, that causes updates to Inventory. 

This is not as big an issue as it once was. But, when inventory is open they do have an effect.

Calling Cards have their uses, but if you aren't using them you don't have a use for them...

Your advice and input has been very helpful, Thanks Perrie, and Nalates, I almost didn't make this thread thinking it was too trivial but I learned some VERY important information. :smileyhappy:

Updating calling cards while working is a terrible scenario, specially to a stickler for efficiency and performance that I am. I'll make sure to delete those, I'm so happy I learned about that. lol And hiding the library is really helpful against clutter, I was really peeved that the inventory window just insisted in dominating every portion of available space.

At-least now the bottom half is reserved for me now. :smileyvery-happy: And also discovered I can open a second inventory window, that is so helpful.

I was happy a few days ago when I accidentally stumbled on how to permanently set "Copy, Mod, Transfer" permissions on upload, makes setting permissions on multiples objects so much easier. lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.