So many problems, need help, just want to play.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So a few months back there was a download for the new viewer, I downloaded it as no one had a choice. Before that download my SL account was working fine, after I had some problems though. For starters I lost my Character, he was complete white ball of nothing. I choose a skin for him that was provided and tweaked it to make it my own and upon logging out and back in he was a white ball again. Even if I save everything. 

I also have a problem equipting items I was able to equpit right away before the download, now they say they are equipt but they don't show up. I am naked with no outfit. No matter how long I wait. There was also the issue of his feet sinking into the groung but that is minor from the fact that he won't save when I assign him a look and no clothing will load onto him. 

Somone please help, I miss this game so much but get discouraged due to these problems. I decided to download it again tonight but I need serious help. 

The white ball you speak of is one of the 4 basic compenents of your avatar failing to load.

Skin, Shape, Hair (not prim), Eyes

Option 1 is to use another viewer like Firestorm or (slightly more advanced and harder to use) Singularity

or follow with these rather extreme steps.

As you have not payed for a long time I suggest the following (Hopefully others will have more ideas to add)

1. Download the latest viewer again, there have been changes.

2. Clear your cache, you've not payed for a very long time so this step that you normally would never do might help

3. Login in and open your inventory. Just stand there without moving until your inventory loading finishes. It can take a while!

3a. if you appear great~ You are fixed.

If not go on and Ignore you are a cloud.

3b. Find somewhere lonely, without people, the following steps will make you naked. For now you are swamp gas.

4. Open your worn stuff and detach everything you can. There are tricks if you can't detach things, but let's leave those for now.

5. If you appear great, put on your items slowly with relogs until you find what broke.

6. If you are stil a cloud, right click on your Body Parts section and choose

i. Make new shape - wear this

ii. Make new eyes - wear this

iii. Make new skin - wear this

iv. Make new hair - wear this.

You will appear. You will be ugly and naked, but if you followed 3a you are alone and have time to now add a dress.

Then like with step 5 add things until you break again. Hopefully you wont.

As I said extreme, but it works in most cases that nothing else does. Read back on what other people say, they may have less drastic ways.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips, I appriciate the time you took to write them out and help me. 

I will apply each before downloading a different viewer. I didn't expect there to be so many problems with this one when I downloaded it. The new navigations don't bother me much as I have been playing a while and new viewers just meant learning how to use them, this is the first time I have had problems with my actual avitar and inventory though. 

I know it's a bug within the game because I have a computer I bought just last year that I bought with gaming in mind and I play games with much more intense graphics but SL is the only game where I can be Twenty different things in one evening and I miss that, so I am dedicated to fixing whatever is wrong and coming back to play SL again. Not to mention all the stuff in my inventory that I have spent money on! ;)

Thanks a lot for your help though, it's very kind of you. 

Try Firestorm..

Make sure your bandwith is set correctly, see HERE.

one of the things that would help is if you copy pasted the info from the Help>About Secondlife tab in your viewer. It shows things like, RAM, graphics card type, driver info, memory info and useful things to help people give you input.

You could also try a clean re-install of your viewer of choice. See HERE for that info.

Good luck.

I realze asking for help without at least posting specs is dumb. Here is what I got per your advice...

CPU: Intel® Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (3392.31 MHz)
Memory: 16345 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit (Build 9600)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1247
OpenGL Version: 4.2.12618 Compatibility Profile Context 13.251.9001.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.24.0 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.0
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.31
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.6.0009.20030

Built with MSVC version 1600
Packets Lost: 0/1 (0.0%)

I did download Firestorm and I built a new Avi, I still noticed some of the clothing I once used (in this case a tuxedo) did not work. Worse off once I log ot of Firestorm and log back in all my progress to the Avi was gone, and now I am a ball of gas once again (in Firestorm I am Orange) so despite clicking save, nothing at all saved. 

It makes me sad because before the forced update everything worked so well and now it's a nightmare. Hopefully my system specs will help someone reveal to me why this is happening. 

Thanks a lot guys, hopefully with help I can figure this out and get back to paying the game. 

Your system specs are good. The ATI video cards tends to have more problems than NVIDIA, but the type you listed doesn't have a problem rendering avatars.

Callum only lists part of the items that can cause an avatar to fail to render (called bake fail). To eliminate all the possible problems switch your avatar to the test avatar. In the SL Viewer's top menu open the Develop menu. You may have to enable it. Press Ctrl-Alt-Q to reveal or hide the menu item. Or in Preferences-> Advanced enable Show Advanced Menu and Show Developer Menu. In the Develop menu look for Avatar->Character Tests and pick the male or female. This completely strips the avatar and rebuilds it default parts.

With any luck your avatar will render. Next start rebuilding you avatar item by item. You may find an item that creates a problem. Once found remove it from the avatar and delete from your inventory.

This process may not solve your problem. If it doesn't, the problem is likely in your connection to SL, which is not the same thing as having a good Internet connection. So, read http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/ and make the tests described.

If it is a connection issue clearing your cash will aggravate the problem.

When you are dealing with connection issues minimize the possible problems on the SL side by moving the avatar to an empty and deserted region. You want as little 'stuff' to download as possible. So, no buildings, etc. The servers have to update you on what other avatars are doing, so minimize that data flow by finding a deserted place with no other avatars.

Connection problems are the most common reason for bake fail since the Sunshine projects completed this year.

Firestorm and the SL Viewer will use separate caches, which include the COF (Current Outfit Folder). Changing the avatar to a completely new character will replace the COF contents without a need to clear the main cache. Clearing the cache stresses the connection as everything has to be re-downloaded. A problem in the COF can prevent the avatar from rendering.

Thanks a lot, your advice worked. I was able to log in and out without losing my Character. I still have some problems with some clothing items that worked before but don't seem to work now but at least I got my Avi working and most of my items do rez. 

Thank you a Million times over for your help, all of you. Taking out your personal time to help someone with a tech issue is an amazingly nice thing to do for anyone and I truley appriciate it! 

One last time, Thank You! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.