Second life viewer does not recognise my graphics

zuzu1990

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2852 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've just got a new laptop. After setting it up and getting all sorted, I of course installed SL. Everything was fine on my first visit, the world looked beautiful. When I went to login again later on...I got a message saying my graphics etc were not good enough, they were below minimum requirements! I was given basic settings, with most options greyed out and not available. I'm at a total loss as to why this is. Please can someone advise me? Info of my lappy below.

O S - windows 8.1

Processor - intel core i7-4710MQ

RAM - 8GB DDR3

Graphics Card - Nvidia GeForce GTX 870M (6GB GDDR5)

Is it possible the first time you visited you were using integrated graphics and the second time you were using the discrete card? Is that something you can switch?

The problem you are describing sounds like your card isn't in the GPU table. You may have to add it. People were reporting this problem with the 870 in April, though, so you'd think it'd be in there by now. Have you updated your viewer recently?

Here's a relavant thread:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Second-Life-Tech/nVidia-GTX-870m-issues/td-p/2599172

heya

Thx very much Data, your reply was great help. Yeah...well, I'd already uninstalled SL viewer and installed firestorm. I made sure I opened it using Nvidia graphics....all was/is good. As in the thread you gave me, I was being told I was using ATI Geforce Lulz. I'm now trying the project benchmark viewer.....as I prefer SL viewer to firestorm, less busy for my needs. Thank you again for taking the trouble :)

Hi Oz

I'm just giving the benchmark thingy a whirl now. I got a message at login saying it had changed my settings because my card had changed....Yay, it's now recognised! I'm set at between high & ultra....everything looks great. I'll see how it goes from here. Thank you very much for your help :)

• 3 months later...

Oz this 870m graphics card still is not on the OK list, and it is Feb 2015. The 900 series is out!

Is there any way to get it added? I am trying to use it with the Oculus viewer. I have a meeting in Washington DC next week to give a demo of the Rift in SL. Got a shiny new laptop with this wizzy card.  Help help help!

• 1 year later...

So I got my Oculus Consumer Release today after waiting 4 months.......  Imagine my surprise when I found out that even though Linden Lab has been promoting Oculus for use with SL on their main page for a very long time now, their 'Oculus' viewer has not been updated since 2014, does not recognize my very good and very common graphics card, and doesn't even support the consumer release Oculus.  Two words -- false advertising.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2852 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.