Second Life viewer doesn't work anymore on Mac Mini (late 2012)...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm on a Mac Mini (late 2012) with OSX Mavericks.

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
OS X 10.9.5

My SL viewer version is the latest one: Second_Life_3_7_19_295700_i386

The application was working just fine until this morning.

I was experiencing a lot of "tearing" effect in Second Life so I decided to try to fix it by activating the Advanced menù and putting to 0 the value for disableverticalsync from the debug console.

Well, this hasn't fixed the problem at all! So I tried to restart Second Life but I just can't do anything that the application close the window even before showing the login page!

Everytime I try to run Second Life it closes the application at startup.

I've already tried to repair permissions, uninstalling and reinstalling the application, restart the os, ensure that Security & Privacy settings to "accept from anywhere" ... nothing of these things worked!

The application doesn't show any error...

Well, I found the solution myself but thanks very much to Drika of Second Life Live Chat Support I've got some helpful info...

Since I've seen that other users are experiencing the same issue without writing any solution... I will write one now! ;)

First of all I recommend reading this article about how to uninstall correctly Second Life: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life/ta-p/1375231

Since I remember exactly what I've done before this problem happened I've just fixed the settings.xml file manually with my favorite text editor.

This problem was related to that file!

Check the file inside: Library > Application Support > Second Life > user_settings > settings.xml

I've switched manually the variable DisableVerticalSync from 0 to 1 and saved the file.

Now Second Life Viewer.app works again! ;)

If you do not remember what you've changed... just trash the full Second Life folder inside Application Support and run Second Life Viewer.app again and it should work because this will recreate that folder with default settings! ;)

You don't need to restart your mac or reinstall Second Life since it seems to be a problem related to those files.

I hope this helps! ;)

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.