Second Life standard viewer, click upload = crash

Chaoss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3287 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If i try to upload ANYTHING, the viewer crashes before the upload dialog box appears, whether it's an image or a mesh crash everytime at that place and I can't build, I've waited a week to see it fixes itself but it hasn't, tried reinstalling SL, removing app settings and cache manually all the usual bollocks any ideas?

I don't know why this is happening but you could try saving an image in a different format, say TGA, in a graphics image program such as Photoshop, Gimp,Graphics Converter etc and then see if the image will now upload. I assume your images are 1024 x 1024 or smaller and not some massive size which perhaps is causing an issue, as SL will cut them to 1024 x 1024 anyway.

I made a Jira, image format change isn't going to help as this happens with ANY open file dialog. Here is my issue in extensive detail and the Jira link

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-28843

OK I will start by saying I do not have a prebuilt system, and the Windows 7 installation does not have any bundled software. The only security software I am running is Anti-Malwarebytes... which I have temporarily disabled until this issue is resolved.

The issue is upon trying to either upload any asset or bulk the viewer crashes BEFORE the open dialog appears, this also happens on trying to save a snapshot to the hard disk, and trying to change the cache location in Preferences. I have tried the following (in this order)

• Clear cache
  • Uninstall/reinstall Second Life using the uninstaller and reinstalling the latest standard viewer
  • Uninstalling Second Life and using an older version
  • Uninstalling Second Life and using Firestorm (same issue occurred)
  • Uninstalling Firestorm and clearing out my %Appdata% folder of ALL SecondLife stuff and reinstalling the latest version of Second Life
  • Uninstalling Second Life, removing everything from my msconfig startup, removing all entries tagged with "SecondLife" and "Second Life" from the registry and restarting. then reinstalling Second Life
  • Disabling ALL 3rd party services and keeping only Microsoft services enabled from msconfig dialog, and removing ALL startup entries
  • Installed Development, Beta and Second Life viewers and tried multiple versions of each
  • Kick the computer, bang the keyboard and swear loudly, restart Second Life and try again
  • Disable Aero and ran as administrator
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled as administrator
  • Change UAC settings
  • Disable and enable various Windows features
  • Re-enable all previously disabled services and settings, uninstall Second Life, Restart, Reinstall Second Life
  • Install more ram as second life uses a lot (I tried installing an extra 4GB in one of the free RAM slots despite the fact I already have 32GB, this obviously didn't help, I tried with just the 4GB stick in and this didn't help either)
    *Update graphics card drivers (they are the latest beta version from www.nvidia.com - the standard ones do not work with my GTX 560ti 448 core 2GB)
  • Updated other various system drivers and checked for windows updates

After spending the best part of a day, none of this has fixed the issue. After extensive Google searching, research and asking in various Second Life related groups I have come to the conclusion that Second Life has some sort of showstopper bug (Second Life is a content creation platform, i cannot create content. therefor this bug is classified as a showstopper) in the code, and has a compatibility issue with my hardware and/or software choice. I have paid work in Second Life which at this time I am unable to complete, having this issue resolved is VERY important to me.

The following is a list of everything installed on my machine

Adobe Photoshop CS6
Autodesk 3ds Max 2013 x64
SecondLifeViewer (remove only)
Mozilla Firefox 12.0 (x86 en-US)
Microsoft SkyDrive
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.61.0.1400
FileZilla Client 3.5.3
StarCraft II
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistriburable
XNResourceEditor 3.0.0.1
Steam
Quake
The Binding of Isaac
Notepad++
Skype 5.9
Adobe Flash Player 11 Plugin 64-bit
Java 6 Update 31
VTFEdit 1.2.5
Dropbox
Garry's Mod
Garry's Mod 13 Beta
iTunes
Unity
Paint.net 3.5.10
Media Player Classic - Home Cinema
CCleaner
Speccy

My NVidia driver version is: GeForce 301.24 Driver BETA - 301.24 9.4.2012

Hardware accoring to Speccy:

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i3/i5/i7 @ 3.20GHz 35 °C
Sandy Bridge-E/EP 32nm Technology
RAM
31.9 GB DDR3 @ 800MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X79-UD5 (SOCKET 0) 28 °C
Graphics
Standard Monitor (2880x1800@60Hz)
DELL 2007FP (1600x1200@60Hz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Hard Drives
234GB ATA Corsair Force 3 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)
59GB ATA Corsair Force 3 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)
977GB FUJITSU MARVELL Raid VD 0 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)
Optical Drives
PIONEER BD-RW BDR-206 SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

• 1 month later...

i dont even have to try to upload for some reason everytime i build something in sl now i crash straight to desktop no warning nothing just poof.i have the current sl viewer all updated i even tryed phenoix viewer current updates doesnt seem to matter i start building and sl just crashes. started about a week ago.im trying to get out new items for customers and i cant till i figure this out. any help would be nice..

• 3 weeks later...

I had the very same problem and worked for 2 days on it, crashed every time I tried to save a photo or upload a texture. Finally I saw this post and uninstalled my Microsoft Skydrive. I was able to begin uploading textures again right away! Thanks for the help!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a mac book and firestorm. Every time I tried to upload an image, picture firestorm crashed. But not always.

I noted that the pics that I could upload had only carachters in the file name, with now spaces.

For example a pic called "pic 1" would crash the viewer. But if I renamed the pic to "Picone" it would upload well

Hope it helps

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am a user who, after having multiple crashes of the LL viewer and program freezes of the Firestorm viewers, uninstalled the LL and the Firestorm viewers, scrubbed the left over folders from my drive, then installed only the LL viewer.  At this point, I am seeing the "Open File" dialogue block, but it's empty.  No file listing, no text at all, just the box and blank list box controls.

Then I read the JIRA entry.  The Registry code, as presented, was not very clear; I had to match thre previous three lines with the ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers key, and I'm not sure there aren't multiple instances of the key combination.  I found two, but the first one didn't have matches in the previous 3 keys.  After following the suggestion in the JIRA (and after exporting the parent key as a backup) I tried again to upload a file.  Alas...the same behavior was seen...no text at all inside the "Open File" dialogue box, and the viewer going unresponsive when I try to cancel the operation.

For me, it's not an option to uninstall SkyDrive...I've been using it as part of my file backup for more than 16 months.  So I can't upload any new content to SL until some solution is found either from the SL viewer crowd, or from Microsoft.

The particulars of my current primary machine ar as follows, as gathered from Help->About:

Second Life 3.4.0 (264911) Sep 19 2012 11:15:02 (Second Life Release) Release Notes

CPU: Intel® Atom CPU D525   @ 1.80GHz (1795.75 MHz) Memory: 4086 MB OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601) Graphics Card Vendor: Intel Graphics Card: Intel Pineview Platform

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.14.0010.2230 OpenGL Version: 1.4.0 - Build 8.14.10.2230

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1 J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1 Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000 Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded) Voice Server Version: Vivox

Built with MSVC version 1600 Packets Lost: 303/7,368 (4.1%)

UsikuFarasi, part of your problem may be that your video system isn't even close to meeting the standards SL needs - your OpenGL version is 1.4 and the bare minimum for SL is 2.1 with a preference for later versions (the current version is 4.2.) Also, your 4% packet loss indicates you've got a bad connection. And under the circumstances I'd avoid trying to run voice with that setup as well.

If you still want to try using it you might try the Beta viewer - they've been making modifications and I think at one point they thought they had the Skydrive problem fixed.

Any suggestions on upgrading OpenGL on Windows 7?  I wasn't aware that SL doesn't provide the latest OpenGL driver itself.  And if 1.2 is the latest provided natively...(shrugs).

The packet loss is a separate issue.  I just changed ISPs, going from copper-backbone DSL to fiber-backbone DSL, and there is a new gateway/router in the mix I'm having to shake out.

But I will investigate the beta software...it might help in my case until the stable version can catch up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have this same issue - however I do not have SkyDrive installed and never had.

I can upload 1 image/mesh, then next time the client freezes and I have to close it down through ctrl+alt+del - the same goes with saving images, its however periodical - sometimes I cant do any of the above at all, and sometimes 1 is allowed - but no more than 1.

I have read through the Jira - nothing usefull for me there, since I dont have Skydrive. I have tried to update anything that is possible to update, my system is as follows:

Intel Core i5 2500K Sandy Bridge

ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 Sandy Bridge B3

ASUS ENGTX560 Ti DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5

Corsair 32GB DDR3 1600MHz (4x8)

OCZ Vertex 3 SSD - 120 GB (SYSTEM DISC)

OCZ Vertex 4 SSD - 512 GB (INSTALL DISC)

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

• 3 weeks later...

I am using Windows 8.  I had to uninstall Skydrive to get Firestorm to be able to upload at all.  Now I have the same problem as the above post, I can upload once if I do it soon after I log in.  After that I might get lucky to be able to upload a second time before it freezes on the file dialog.  It's a bug that can be duplicated in the SL viewer.  It's driving me nuts.  No other app I use has issues with file dialogs in Windows 8.  It has to be an SL bug or a compatibility issue with Windows 8.

I am going to try run as administrator and see if that helps.  If that doesn't work I'll try running in compatibility mode.

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3287 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.