Joseph MacAlpine

Second Life for iPad and iPhone

If you are interested, vote for this JIRA: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-16731

Luc Starsider

Re: Second Life for iPad and iPhone

Reply to Joseph MacAlpine - view message

I would be interested, but I fear neither the iPhone or the iPad have the graphics horsepower to render SL's 3d environment in a satisfactory way. Also, the battery would probably drain in no time. It could be an idea if all the graphics work could be done server side, but whether LL want to do that - they had a web based beta viewer out a while back - is another matter.

The iPhone also has such a small screen that I have a hard time seeing how that would work

- Luc -

Need a laugh? Watch this.
Honored Member
Shockwave Yareach

So.  To run SL satisfactorily on a computer, you have to have considerably powerful gear.  Not top end, but anything short of a dualcore 3ghz machine with a 200 series nvidia card is going to need sacrifices in order to render at a reasonable rate.  People spend 1 to 2K$ for computer power suitable to render SL.

And folks think that a puny little 1Ghz A4 processor designed to sip power is going to be able to render SL?

There is no Furry Cabal.
- signed, the Furry Cabal...
Joseph MacAlpine

Reply to Shockwave Yareach - view message

And folks think that a puny little 1Ghz A4 processor designed to sip power is going to be able to render SL?

I don't see the problem. I run Second Life on a 1Ghz PowerPC iMac (viewer 1.23).
Besides, the new iPad is dual core, and the next iPhone is likely to be dual core as well. There are already nice games for these two devices.
Nothing would prevent you from using a machine with an expensive graphics card, if you need better graphics.
Other virtual worlds are moving to iPhone (IMVU, Blue mars...), why shouldn't Second Life give us this opportunity?

Luc Starsider

The PowerPC processor in your iMac is designed to be a desktop processor, running desktop operating systems, programs and the works. The A4 and A5 processors in iOS devices are designed - as far as I understand it - to run in mobile units with a battery. They are not really directly comparable. 

Does IMVU or Blue Mars have a mobile viewer out?

- Luc -

Need a laugh? Watch this.
Recognized Member
leliel Mirihi

Reply to Luc Starsider - view message

Blue Mars has an iPhone App. But it's just an avatar viewer, you can't do much of anything in it aside from change your clothes.

Joseph MacAlpine

Reply to Luc Starsider - view message

Luc Starsider wrote:

The PowerPC processor in your iMac is designed to be a desktop processor, running desktop operating systems, programs and the works. The A4 and A5 processors in iOS devices are designed - as far as I understand it - to run in mobile units with a battery. They are not really directly comparable. 

They are not directly comparable because my processor has one core, while iPad (and, most likely, iPhone) has two. Which is better?

As for the battery, the same processor used to be used on laptops (12" ultraportable iBooks included).

Does IMVU or Blue Mars have a mobile viewer out?

- Luc -

They are both in their early stage of development, however the point is that both companies want to enter the mobile market. And Linden Lab?

Jean Horten
Topics: 4

Joseph MacAlpine wrote:

If you are interested, vote for this JIRA: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-16731

If you really want to access SL from your overpriced functionality restricted mobile apple kid computer devices, look here: http://www.pocketmetaverse.com/

J.

My Name is Jean Horten, not jean.horten !!!
Joseph MacAlpine

Reply to Jean Horten - view message

If you really want to access SL from your overpriced functionality restricted mobile apple kid computer devices, look here: http://www.pocketmetaverse.com/

J.

A closed source app that is not developed by Linden Lab? No thank you, I still prefer to keep my password safe.

Honored Member
Shockwave Yareach

So, you don't run any TPV programs then?  That's closed source too, unless you can show me the .cpp files for the latest version of Phoenix someplace.

I have used Metaverse for a couple of years.  I've had no security issue with it nor any other problems.  But (and this is the big but!) it is not even remotely an SL viewer for the iphone/pad/touch.  It allows me to be inworld so I can chat, IM, and pay people.  I cannot see the world around me when I'm in Metaverse.  One of the things I'm thinking of building is a pair of black eyeglasses that rez when I'm using Metaverse to signal that I'm blind.  While it offers a few uses and is better than nothing, it's not a 3d VW viewer and it never will be.

And my line in the sand is 10fps.  When graphics drop below that level, I cannot tolerate it anymore.  An iphone viewer would likely have an FPS that is best described in archeological terms.  So no, I don't see the need to hitch up SL to a mobile platform just because everyone else is trying to do so (and failing utterly).

There is no Furry Cabal.
- signed, the Furry Cabal...